Kodi on Xbox One

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Roc6d, Jan 1, 2018.

?

Do you use kodi on your media devices?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. no

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. no but i will now

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Roc6d

Roc6d Spirited Member

Isn't this big news or no?

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-xbox-one

Kodi for the Xbox One

[​IMG]
    Let us end the year 2017 with a blast including a nostalgic reference to the past. It has long been asked for by so many and now it finally happened. Kodi for Xbox One is available worldwide through Windows and Xbox Store and will only be released from Kodi v18 and onwards. Do note it's not finished yet and may contain missing features and bugs which will be mentioned later in this article.

The Past
    It was about 15 years ago that a group of like-minded developers released something that was called Xbox Media Player (full history can read be here). Back then the Xbox was one of the most affordable devices that was based on the x86 architecture with TV-out, had an optical drive and relatively easy “hackable”. From there on it developed into the Xbox Media Center which was the baseline of what would become XBMC. At some point other platforms were added besides the Xbox and the project became larger and larger. The hardware scene continued to evolve and became cheaper and the once famous Xbox became kind of obsolete as the other platforms were easier to install XBMC on. As of 27 May 2010, it was announced by the XBMC developers that they would cease development for the original Xbox.

It was thought by the team that getting Kodi (XBMC) running on newer Xbox versions would be wishful thinking and we would never see that happen anymore. As time passed by developers and users were happy running XBMC on their Linux, Windows, OSX, Raspberry-Pi and Android devices as such no one really looked back. Although jokingly for nostalgic reasons we talked about how fun it would be to get it running on the Xbox again. In the year 2014 we finally closed the door and renamed from XBMC to what we are now, Kodi.

2. Arcadia

Arcadia Rapidly Rising Member

Will be interesting if it will be able to access the BD-drive and external storage in the future. I really don't like Microsofts BD player.

3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

KODI is on it's way out, most of the add-ons don't work anymore So It's only really good as a media player and I'm only using it for viewing photos on my TV until I can find a better Android TV Photo Viewer.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  4. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

It is a media player... Which it does very well.

If you are talking about illegal 3rd party streaming plug ins, which were poor quality anyway - then sure, a bunch of those don't work anymore.

5. danhans115

danhans115 Spirited Member

I have Kodi in pretty much every room in the house, and it works perfectly for my media and DVBC/S TVHeadend setup etc.

One thing though, has anyone tried this on an Xbox One S/X with any high end UHD stuff? Just wondered if H265 HDR / 10bit etc was playing back okay? If so I might plump for an upgrade from my standard box.

Other than that works pretty well on my standard One... 1080i sources deinterlace well, and works great. Just had to enable NFS on my server to be able to share on it.

I do love the 'Kodis dead' comment... their facebook page is full of them :)

6. Pikmin

Pikmin Fiery Member

This is pretty amazing. I love kodi, dont care about tvaddons going, the quality of that thing was crap anyway.
    I just hope they release a proper netflix plugin so I dont have to fuck around with chroot and running chromium in matchbox
    OSMC on pi is pretty great too, prefer it over plex for watching movies locally over nfs
    I’ve used the ps3 play in the past with tvheadend but cant stomach the ads on free to air tv

7. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

I installed XBMC on an Xbox once and immediately regretted it, it wasn't anywhere near as good as UnleashX or EVOX. But then again I was only looking to install a larger hard drive and pirate some games, and wasn't interested in any of the actual media player stuff. :p

LeHaM likes this.
  8. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

To put it politely, no.

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

That.

It's a great media center and player. Official addons or the ones that use freely available source/API work very well too, and most are open source. I can watch my local public TV legally using Kodi with 0 hassle. I have a chromebox with Linux/Kodi on it and a NAS, it's the perfect little home server/media setup.

I kind of noticed that there were a ton of illegal addons and small computers sold with Kodi and those on them, especially in the UK it seems, but that's not Kodi's fault what the illegal pirates do. People complaining to the Kodi team that their illegal streaming addons don't work anymore is cringy at best.

10. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

Even if the add-ons worked, you would need to run a VPN which would screw with Xbox Live, just not worth the pain. Can do the same on Firestick or similar.

11. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

No wonder my Andorid TV Box isn't selling with people on cragislist :(

12. GodofHardcore

I have a Mibox I have MXplayer and VLC installed don't need Kodi but there are no good photo viewers for Android.

13. sonik

sonik Site Supporter 2013

I use Kodi everyday. Love it.
    I would sure use it on Xbox One.

14. port187

port187 Serial Chiller

Just because a couple of illegal addons stopped working for you, doesn't mean Kodi is on its way out. If anything it is becoming more popular and mainstream.
    It's a great media player.

15. GodofHardcore

MX player is a better media player.
    VLC Player is on Android

All KODI is good for now is as a photo viewer.

16. -=FamilyGuy=-

Kodi is a media center. It's a cute interface to browse your library with an included video player.
    It you don't like that last part, you can make Kodi launch VLC to play certain files/filetypes.

It's meant to replace the desktop user interface on dedicated media centers with huge library, not launch then browse files in your download folder as you'd do with VLC.

17. GodofHardcore

Well this is all my subjective opinion.

I just don't like Kodi, yet I use it all the time.

18. -=FamilyGuy=-

It's completely fine that you don't like it. It just doesn't make it on its way out.

TBF I like it on a media center on a TV, controlled with a TV-style remote. I don't think it's well suited for using on a desktop/laptop.

19. GodofHardcore

There are others that share my sentiment about it on it's way out though.

20. -=FamilyGuy=-

People think all sorts of silly things.

port187 and Bad_Ad84 like this.