KmC 256K-SRAM DEV cartridges

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by Gerry_MAN, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Gerry_MAN

Gerry_MAN N64 Hardware Fanatic

Hi Folks,

I've been hard at it, with my usual endeavors surrounding N64 development. Researching all the various programming functions and such. Keeping busy to say the least!

Before I dive in to my Post here...
    On another note just to Add...I've been making some progress surrounding my IS-VIEWER 64 Dev cart and its Debugging features. I'm currently working with the runtime program and the exception handler to route the debugging messages to the Dev console. However my PC's power supply failed the other day, and so I've put it on hold until I slap in a new one. Anyhow, I'll be following up on this once I get something working...which will be really awesome for everyone to see once I get it up and running. :cool:

Anyhow, Blah, Blah, Blah....
    So I've got more of a "Show N' Tell" here so to speak....but also a couple of questions and maybe some of you could help me out. I was recently in contact with a collector from Japan that used to own a PARTNER-N64 Dev Kit. I had high hopes of acquiring a copy of the PARTNER-N64 exeGCC compiler Users Guide..... or possibly getting a hold of an IPL ROM cart for the DD.

Unfortunately he had sold his Kit back in early 2000, however he did have (x4) SRAM test cartridges left in storage. So I quickly made arrangements to acquire these for yet another hefty fee....but regardless I got them in yesterday. This is what came in the Box.

[​IMG]

There was a FREKIN PARTNER-N64 ISA card in the Box with (x3) SRAM carts. You can image my reaction...lol. Talk about a case of being Lost in translation..... as I thought I was only getting x4 ram carts....
    Sweet SASSY MOLASSY!!

So this now puts me as the proud owner of (x2) PARTNER-N64 ISA Cards!! ^_^
    No doubt I'm now on the Hunt for another PARTNER-N64 Flash cart..... if there is anyone out there willing to part with one.... let me know.

[​IMG]

As for the SRAM carts.....I'm actually hoping some of you might be able to translate the Japanese text that is on the decals...I'm guessing its something like "SRAM Test Cart" or "Development cart"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The carts all have these Knurled thumb screws holding them together....I guess for needing to open them up easily for probing the PCB's. There are two Japanese cartridges and one USA cart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing really special about these PCBA's except for the removed ROM and CIC chips...as far as I can tell.
    Which is cool because if you are developing on a Partner-N64 and need one, you could very easily just use a donor cart and make your own....pretty awesome for development.

Well, my Black Friday was pretty sweet to say the least.:cool:

Anyhow,
    just thought I would share...and again if anyone speaks Japanese and can translate the decals that would be Awesome!

Let me know.
    Cheers! Folks,
    -Gerry

Gilgamesh and theps1master like this.
  2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The text doesn't really tell you anything, sadly - it's just "KuC Made custom cassette" (or "KuC made custom (256K SRAM) cassette" on the outside label).

3. Gerry_MAN

Hmmmm. That's interesting.

I wonder why they refer to it as a "Cassette" and not cartridge?
    I've actually seen this mentioned in different manuals and also in some User Guides.

-Gerry

4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Hard to say, but that usage of "cassette" is pretty common. It could be something as simple as the fact that "cartridge" is a significantly longer word when written out in kana.

Cartridge = カートリッジ KA-TORIJJI
    Cassette = カセット KASETTO

Edit - this isn't as flippant as it sounds, since the Japanese really seem to dislike longer katakana words and they often get shortened. Some examples:

Remote control -> リモートコントロール (RIMO-TOKONTORO-RU) -> リモコン (RIMOKON)
    Digital camera -> デジタルカメラ (DEJITARUKAMERA) -> デジカメ (DEJIKAME)
    Personal computer -> パーソナルコンピューター (PA-SONARUKONPYUTA) -> パソコン (PASOKON)

And, of course

Pocket Monsters (ポケットモンスター) (POKETTOMONSUTA-) -> ポケモン (POKEMON)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    zzattack and Gilgamesh like this.
  5. Gerry_MAN

Very cool.....

Thanks for sharing that info.
    Good to know.

-Gerry