Kinect Prototype?

Discussion in 'Xbox One Development (One,One X)' started by Jerry Yin, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Jerry Yin

Jerry Yin Rising Member

One of my friends gives me two units shown in the picture, one of them had broken FPC connector. It looks like a Kinect early prototype, but I'm not sure about it. I don't have any information about these unit yet, anyone know please tell me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It need external power, the fan spin, but that's it, no other action, maybe voltage not high enough?

[​IMG]

I took apart one of these units, it seems like a new kinect, but I'm not sure.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This company bought by Microsoft in 2010

[​IMG]
    The date printed on the PCB bords shows that the units comes out no earlier than 2010, so.........any ideas?

2. Shadha

Shadha Rising Member

If that is a Kinect proto, then YOU ARE DAMN LUCKY! never seem something like that

3. Shadha

Shadha Rising Member

4. Jerry Yin

Jerry Yin Rising Member

5. Shadha

Shadha Rising Member

Yeah, I believe they were first or something to start producing them but it almost sounds like a company in germany took over? Idk dont take my word on it but from what i have read i think that may be the case, I love Kinect, still play about daily but dont know to much about the history except they made some pretty jank designs! Treasure thoes puppies

6. Shadha

Shadha Rising Member

But at the same time id has an SD card slot? maybe for addons or new game type or perhaps its a microsoft camera beta? Who knows. I am relatively new to all this still and so I am finding it all super fascinating and been reading alot..

7. begallegal1

begallegal1 Spirited Member

The board image with the broadcom chip looks an awful lot like a raspberry pi type device, but it is missing the chip in the center(?)

I know very little about XB1 stuff but I would guess they could be very very early XB1 kinect protos. (long before more customized boards were made for the later protos closer to production like this one https://assemblergames.com/threads/xbox-one-kinect-prototype.66472/ )

I also wonder if these are maybe some type of "lifecam" prototype for their web cam lineup...

either way, they look to be setup to accept firmware/software flashing by the development team.

Whatever they are , very cool!!

8. Jerry Yin

Jerry Yin Rising Member

It also got a micro HDMI port on it, I haven't try that yet.

9. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013