Killer Instinct 2 SNES

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by shenmue19, Feb 3, 2012.

1. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

If the backgrounds in the arcade were streamed movie files, then i would imagine replicating that on 64 would take too much space. 3d backgrounds selling point to make 64 version seem better but also 3d models are easy to compress.

2. Retroyan

Retroyan That one guy who digs though debug mode

Gold was okay, I guess. It's gets more hate than the GB port of the original KI.

3. KiddoCabbusses

KiddoCabbusses Active Member

I don't get why KI Gold is hated on while people adore the SNES Killer Instinct, which, while probably technically impressive, is one of the most watered-down arcade ports ever done on the SNES, it's main rival being Street Fighter Alpha 2.

I'm pretty sure SNES KI2 would not have been half as good as Gold is, anyway. Might be interesting to look at regardless, though.

4. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

Going to have to disagree, it seems to me they managed to shoe-horn as much as they possibly could and while it doesn't look identical to the arcade version, it plays pretty damn close (including some of the same bugs!). Most watered down arcade SNES port is always going to be Mortal Kombat 1.

5. KiddoCabbusses

I'll give you that Mortal Kombat 1 was worse.

That being said, Killer Instinct's entire selling point on the arcade was it's eye-candy visuals. The SNES port doesn't even look as graphically impressive as Donkey Kong Country, in comparison. For all of MK1's faults on the SNES, at least it looked superficially like the arcade version (censored up, yeah, but still.).

6. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Really??? other than the (lack of) blood, i felt the SNES was arcade perfect.

7. KiddoCabbusses

From what I remember, Mortal Kombat 1 mostly falls apart on a technical level. Of course, since most MK1 players don't approach the game in a hardcore/competitive manner to analyze the mechanics like such, it's difficult for many to see. Not to mention most people wouldn't even bother to learn this because the removal of blood and fatalities was more readily apparent and a more obvious turn-off for fans.

8. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

I was referring to the removal of blood, not really a MK fan so yeah it probably is a good port apart from that.
    Nope. Combos. Big, fat juicy COMBOS...

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

MK1 on SNES had really weird control issues. It was certainly not arcade perfect. The Sega version was definitely better gameplay wise despite inferior presentation. I never played KI Gold much, but I'd imagine the main complaint is people wanted KI2 the arcade game. But that wasn't technically possible for the N64. I did play KI on SNES alot. It stands up well and is the same game without the high quality graphics and sound of the arcade. It's still a nice SNES game.

10. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I don't know if I still have the issue and I don't have time to look but there was talk about it in an old EGM.

11. The Perfect K

The Perfect K Robust Member

A super easy example of how the mechanics in the SNES port of MK1 are broken, that virtually anybody can notice: Uppercuts don't have invincibility frames in the SNES version. That means that flying punches and kicks take precedence over an uppercut. the most basic reversal in the entire game is completely missing in the SNES version.

The SNES version is full of terrible omissions like that. It really plays nothing like the Arcade version if you try anything beyond standing punches and special moves.

12. silverfox0786

silverfox0786 Gutsy Member

just to add fuel to the fire

the arcade version Cinder (flame Guy) you could do his upper cut kick thing endlessly after a match (Volly) and get an infinite amount of hit counts on the arcade

yet this was not achievable on the SNES version as no matter what you did the match stopped and the opponent fell to the floor

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  13. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

Correction, you could do that on certain revisions of the arcade version. Later arcade revisions had this infinite juggle removed, and the snes port was based off the the last arcade revision.

14. OniLink99999

OniLink99999 Rising Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but we actually have new information! In a new interview on Nintendo Life about Donkey Kong Country, programmer Brendan Gunn also mentions Killer Instinct 2 on the SNES.

However, Gunn's talents were called in on other projects, too.
    "I did some work on Killer Instinct 2 on the SNES. The guy in charge of that project left the company when it was 99 percent finished, and they asked me to finish it — a game I'd never even seen or played before — in six weeks. That was an interesting job. We got it finished — a little bit late, actually — but it was all for nothing. We were under contract with Nintendo and simply had to get it done, but they ultimately decided not to publish it."

- http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/month_of_kong_the_making_of_donkey_kong_country

So as it turns out, the game is actually a bit of a Star Fox 2 - finished, but unreleased. Should exist somewhere =D

15. CoinCollector

CoinCollector Spirited Member

Man! A new entry on the wildly long list of unreleased Rare goodies. Boggles my mind, is there no end???

And man what a bummer it'd be to work on a big name game, finish it, and then not have it get printed on hundreds of thousands of cartridges. :(

16. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

17. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

So now the question comes up: when will we be able to play this port? I love KI on the SNES and have recently been playing the heck out of it. It would be pretty interesting to fire up KI2 for the SNES.

18. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

Do you know someone who has access to Nintendo's vaults?

If not, then I would say the chances of anyone seeing this is nil.

19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

While I agree that it would be really interesting to see, we can assume it would be heavily scaled down from the arcade version. Killer Instinct Gold for the N64 is probably closer, although the backgrounds are rendered in realtime, unlike the arcade version.

20. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I wouldn't be so naive. Both Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark had pre-release builds leak, thanks to a veteran user here I won't mention by name. Both of those were developed by Rare & published by Nintendo. Same thing with the Killer Instinct 1 SNES beta. It certainly is a long-shot and I won't hold my breath, but you never know.