Killer Instinct 2 SNES

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by shenmue19, Feb 3, 2012.

1. shenmue19

shenmue19 Member

2. veganx

veganx Dauntless Member

I really doubt it will surface or that it still exists. They probrably draw the characters on paper and started the real development for the arcade.

The gold is already a really bad port from the arcade, imagine a snes version of KI2.

3. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

mmm...Killer Instinct.

When I was barely a teen, I remember reading about Killer Instinct being being scheduled for release on the SNES. This concerned me because I couldn't fathom how in the hell Nintendo would port it from the arcade to the snes. I promptly called Nintendo and the customer rep assured me that everything would be cool because the arcade hardware was "32 bit" and not "64bit" therefore a conversion would be easy.

That was enough to persuade me. :)

4. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

It was supposed completed.
    Or so they said on Retro Gamer.

5. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I have doubts they would have "completed" it and not released it if it was of good quality. You usually don't flush that down the toilet. But it's possible it got flushed like Star Fox 2 thanks to the N64.

I don't know why people think that some kind of technical issues would prevent porting the game. It's just a fighting game. It's alot better on the arcade hardware because it can do alot more in the sound and graphics department but it all comes down to being a fighting game which the SNES can do just fine. I remember rumors of a SNES version of KI2 but who knows if we will ever see something of it if it existed.

6. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

I didn't really think KI Gold was that bad, definitely wasn't what I was hoping for tho

7. badinsults

badinsults Peppy Member

Years ago, I contacted the guy who did the music for the Killer Instinct games, and he said that the SNES port was essentially complete. I think there is an old thread here on Assemblergames that has more details.

8. camdman

camdman Robust Member

If it was it probably would of been pretty much arcade peferct like KI1. Though Gold is just KI2 with enhanced graphics isn't it?

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

The SNES version of KI was far from arcade perfect. That was absolutely impossible on the SNES. Gold is based on KI2, but it had 3D backgrounds instead of the prerendered backgrounds of the arcade version. I think the character sprites were also lower resolution than the arcade.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. camdman

camdman Robust Member

Ah didnt realise there was that much of a difference.

11. MottZilla

KI Gold could never hope to keep up with the arcade, primarily due to storage, but also the N64 probably wouldn't have been up to it graphically or sound wise. The arcade hardware had a ton of storage for graphics, and nice dedicated sound hardware as I recall. N64 had a tiny amount of ROM, and no dedicated sound hardware and I'm not sure how the graphics hardware compares to the KI arcade.

12. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Yeah, the arcade versions had something like a 200MB hard drive. The backgrounds were fully-prerendered CG videos. There's no way to store that much data on an SNES cart, or an N64 cart for that matter. I personally think KI Gold is a pretty decent port, though.

13. MottZilla

KI has a 131mb HDD image and KI2 I think is over 500mb. Carts don't stand a chance.

14. black sheep

black sheep Robust Member

Im not suprised after starfox 2.
    What does suprise me is ....why the hell don't the sell games like KI2 and simcity for the virtuel console.

15. overload

overload Member

They managed to put resident evil 2 on a n64 cart with the rom image being 64Mb, but I reckon the arcade version of KI would have been just too expensive to produce and sell, sale price being maybe 3x the price for KI1 and 4-6x for KI2 compaired to a standard game cart, it would be nice if someone could port the original arcade version to the n64 so it could be run on a flashcart (ed64 or 64drive).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  16. Jinroh

Jinroh Active Member

That's funny, I remember that there was a big "Ultra 64" on the arcade version of Killer Instinct, and it was way before the release of the console. So I always thought the console would have an arcade perfect port.

17. san186

san186 Rapidly Rising Member

KI2 wasnt even as good as the original. The disk images for both were quite big (you can download the images and play them on mame)

18. CZroe

CZroe Rising Member

It was 64MB. The best we could have hoped for on SNES would have been 64Mb (8MB). The largest US titles were 32Mb (4MB). The N64 version was 96Mb (12MB) and still had animations reduced so far as to be laughable. I LOVE the port (really does play like the arcade and the music/backgrounds were amazing), but they should have just used stills on the character select and bio screens.
    "ZOMG! He blinked!"
    "ZOMG! His finger twitched!"
    "ZOMG! His jaw moves a little!"

The whole point of those screens in the arcade version was to impress you with a fluid and fully-animated character filling the entire side of the screen. That needed a lot more storage, like the arcade unit's HDD.

I didn't like that they took out Jago's resurrection move. :(

19. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Honestly I'm not certain why they decided to go with 3D models instead of prerendered sprites like the arcade. It would have been a much cleaner conversion. Obviously not holding the video against them, as that was being streamed off the HDD and wouldn't really be seen until the tail end of the N64.

(First person to cite the N64 texture size limit get bombarded with half a dozen full game decompilations with examples of much larger textures. Plus, no way you can say rendering several rects could ever be slower than fully animated armatures.)

20. CZroe

CZroe Rising Member

Not sure what you mean. The character sprites were 2D. I think it was your typical N64-style "2D rendered on a poly" but that was more because the N64 didn't have any accommodations for accelerated 2D. Even Pokemon Puzzle League did that.