Kermit ODEM partition recognition?

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by vheissu, Dec 14, 2016.

1. vheissu

vheissu Member

This is only marginally "development", but there may not be a better place to ask. At any rate:

a) What must be done for an HDLoader-format partition not ripped through Kermit to show up in Kermit's ODEM Manager?

b) Is there a means of flipping the "is_dvd" bit in the header without pulling the drive, writing a one-off program, or deleting and transferring again? (Or is this irrelevant with contemporary s/w?)

Thanks!

2. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

What tool did you use to install your games? For HDLGameInstaller, I changed the format of the naming scheme, so that the SONY HDD Browser would correctly update the user's play history. Unfortunately, HDLoader itself seems to perform a check on the partition name format, as part of its format checks. If Kermit ODEM does the same thing and you are using HDLGameInstaller to install your games, then you might just need to rename your game partitions (PP.HDL.GAME_NAME).
    I'm assuming that games installed by HDLoader would turn up within Kermit ODEM. I don't know too much about Kermit though...

Unless I am either mistaken or perhaps this bit wasn't used within OPL, there isn't such a field known as "is_dvd". DVD-DL support is determined by whether the layer break field is set or not.

3. vheissu

vheissu Member

The distinction I'm concerned with is CD vs DVD, no matter how many layers, and the bit - if I'm reading this source correctly - is the 2nd at 0x1010EC into the header. uLaunchELF's partition manager displays it.

The transfer tool was hdl_dumx, for I was looking for something without extras (e.g. installing a particular version of diskload?).

Edit: For OPL, this seems to control (only?) sceCdGetDiskType's result.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Shouldn't all tools, except for the PS2-side software, allow you to change the disc type? Well, I know that I made that an option in HDLGameInstaller, but I'm pretty sure that you can do that with HDLDump too.

Hmm. Are you referring to the hdl_game_info_t structure within hdl.h? That doesn't seem to be the structure that is stored on the disk.

Anyway, it's possible that HDLoader had used some of the bytes differently from OPL, I guess.

Well, there shouldn't be a difference between installing Diskload and not.

If you do have problems getting your games to be recognized by Kermit ODEM, have you tried contacting its author? Silverbull is a member on this forums.

For DVD-DL support, it also determines whether there is an accessible second layer or not. It does affect the disc type that is reflected as well.

5. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Kermit checks for PP.HDL.xxxx on partition names. Open PS2 loader checks for partition type. So for Open PS2 loader what you name the partition doesn't matter at all.

If you use a lightweight copy of Open PS2 loader (OPL GUI stuff conflicts with Kermit due to heavy usage of kernel memory) you may have kermit services work ingame with OPL as drive emulation. That could be useful as Kermit ODEM is based on reverse engineering of HD Loader, so it's ultra outdated if compared with OPL disc emulation code.

6. vheissu

vheissu Member

Ah. I was wondering how ODEM compares to OPL as things stand today. So if I understand correctly, for debugging you recommend Kermit (without ODEM) + HDDOSD + diskload?

Also, the partition rename did the trick - silly me, I might have figured it out had I experimented more instead of asking.

7. l_oliveira

If the game you're trying to debug doesn't work with ODEM, you can use diskload. Yes, that's what I was recommending.

8. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Why not Kermit + OPL? You can then bypass the HDD Browser, plus you can adjust the CD/DVD emulation settings.

9. l_oliveira

OPL GUI component crashes Kermit. Just try it.

AKuHAK likes this.
  10. LocalH

LocalH Spirited Member

I have HDL partitions that, despite showing as "PP.HDL.*" with no game ID in every tool that I have that lists partitions, yet some of them don't show up in Kermit, HDL, and probably others as well. I have used various versions of uLE to attempt to delete my GoW and GoW2 partitions, and they either fail outright (wLE 4.43a, 4.42 HDD WIP 7, 4.42ev), or appear to successfully delete the partition but it reappears when reloading the list (OPL 0.9.3 and r975, uLE 4.40h). I have yet to check the drive with WinHIIP but that is planned soon.

11. l_oliveira

Kermit does some sanity checks on partitions. A very old version of SP193's game installer left a HDL header field in a state which caused kermit to refuse loading it. I don't remember the specifics but SP193 have since fixed the issue. Your issue could be due to that.

12. LocalH

LocalH Spirited Member

My confusion is that at least two such partitions resist my attempts to remove them via other means (several versions of uLE, OPL, and even HDL).

It's not a discussion for this topic, but uLE has real problems creating new partitions (even if there is free space) on a fragmented HDD. I have 6GB free and am unable to create a new partition for POPStarter (or even expand an existing one).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  13. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

Have you prepped your HDD with a downloaded HDD image (the raw copy thing) before installing your games/apps ?
    If so, then it might be the reason why you cannot create a new partition or delete/rename some of the existing ones. APA's fuxed. Writing a HDD image to some different model of a PS2HDD is like messing with a time-bomb; to be defused by formatting the drive properly;).

14. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

HDLDump (including software that was based on HDLDump) seem to have problems with deleting partitions correctly... leading to corrupted disks. So if you have deleted partitions with HDLDump (including OPL v0.9.2 and earlier), your disk may have crosslinked partitions.

Even if this isn't the problem, you can try running checks with HDDChecker and/or the SONY Utility Disc. The latter will very likely take care of any problems, except for crosslinked partitions (which can only be taken care of by HDDChecker or by formatting the whole disk).

It could be 6GB of fragmented space. uLaunchELF used libhdd, which had a problem with requiring the main partition to strictly be of the size that it wants to create; so if the largest possible partition that can be created is 2GB (i.e. 3x2GB) and it wants to create a 4GB main partition (for a 4+2GB combo), the partition's creation will fail.

15. LocalH

LocalH Spirited Member

A long time ago, I had backed up my games and experimented with that one HDDOSD image that was floating around. When I realized that particular HDDOSD was not 48-bit patched, I basically removed the HDDOSD and installed FHDB over top. I have since done lots of partition removal and addition (the vast majority of which were HDL partitions). I'm not sure how much of that "original" image's parition layout still remains, and I have installed plenty of games since then (during August of last year, I had installed a huge number of custom Guitar Hero II ISOs with WinHIIP). My next resort is to use WinHIIP and scan the partition layout, repairing any problems, then attempt to delete the GoW and GoW2 partitions that way.

I have never used HDLDum itself to delete partitions. I may have used OPL at one point to delete something, can't remember. I will attempt to use HDDChecker on my drive, but as it's 250GB I don't think a SUD will work, correct? And don't the various SUDCs available require a chipped system, or am I mistaken?

Ah, that makes sense, although it is unfortunate. Are there any plans to handle this differently in some future version of wLE? It seems like the HDD Manager could use a little love, for example I think it would be fruitful to show empty partition "slots" and their contiguous size (what WinHIIP shows as "__empty"). Also, does uLE create the partition at the first available empty slot, or does it try to create it near the partition you have selected? The latter would especially be helpful if uLE showed the empty slots.

16. krHACKen

krHACKen #CNNisISIS

That's correct. SUDC and the standalone HDD Utility Discs (even the hacked ones) don't support drives larger than 137GB. Using them to repair/optimize your HDD will fail or at worse, corrupt the HDD contents.
    Try HDDChecker, then if it doesn't fix your issue, scan/repair the HDD with WinHIIP like you said.

17. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

As of now, yes. There is no known way to boot a utility disc without a modded console.

The issue was fixed sometime ago, although I think that only the version of uLaunchELF that got released with FMCB v1.953 was made with the fixed version of libhdd.

IMO, it's not a useful feature because the user can't ever choose the regions on the disk to use; it's done by the APA driver, without the user's knowledge.
    What software should be doing instead, would be to indicate to the user if there is insufficient space. Displaying things like "partition creation failed" doesn't mean anything useful to most end-users. So yeah, that's one thing in uLaunchELF that needs tweaking.

If your disk is fragmented, you can use HDDChecker to defragment your disk. The HDD Utility Disc shouldn't be used on HDLoader games because that would break them (they store the LBAs externally).

There is an algorithm for this, which is described in the SCE documentation. If I am not mistaken, it is a first-fit algorithm.