Katana Set4 resurrection

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Jackhead, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Hi!

i happy to obtain a set4 devkit from Pitsunami (many thanks). I will get it in the next days. Infos i got and research shows up that the kit has a faulty HDD at all. And i think i will first start with the disk issue.
    Is here anymone with a working set4 hdd or maybe a complete raw image of the hdd?

regards
    Chris

LuizNai and SiZiOUS like this.
  2. wombat

wombat SEGA!

3. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

thank you, i have read the readme from the sdk. Im not sure but looks like the Image of a set4 is the same as on the set5 (4gb Disk with 2x2GB partitions). There is also a reportet issue with the eprom flashing. I hope the hdd head is only stuck from transport but ok i will see in the next days. Any help or information will be appreciated.

4. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

As far as I know, no need for an image of the hdd. Just use any hdd / replacement emulation card.
    1 partition with FAT32/NTFS will probably also work.
    Just be sure to:
    - set the 110/220V at the back correctly (not pointing fingers to anyone, but there have been cases... :) )
    - ONLY use the tools of the R4 SDK, using more recent SDK with the SET4 might damage it.

LuizNai, SiZiOUS and Shane McRetro like this.
  5. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

:D

Has the Set4 a gui on the video output when you start the system ? Or is it only a "Emulator" with debug functions?

6. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

hmm... don't remember exactly :)
    I don't have a memory of a boot screen, just of the famous teapot being rendered after being sent by CodeScape.
    But it has been a long while...

7. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Yeah its extremly hard to find any info about the kit, i hope someone here with a full working system jumps on. Lets bring light on that nice piece of sega history.
    But based on the PC system, it will me not wonder if the Set4 is "only" for run compiled programs over the sdk with debugging features. Like a Cartdev with a Mirage for Saturn.
    But ok will investigate it.

Another question is the HKT-0200 Controller box is connected to the upper HDD interface or has a extra interface ? The Emu HDD goes to the lower board, the upper one has only a terminator. Or it is pre for the GD-Writer/reader
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    What i see is that the HKT-0200 has also a SCSI2 interface

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    LuizNai likes this.
  8. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

The real DC BIOS came after SET4 I think, at latest with SET 5.16.

controller box -> SET4 has a connector at the back marked "cont.box"

9. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

That make sense. Ah ok the Controller box is connected to the MB across the serial port, ok i see. So you got only video output with the sample programs from the sdk at all. Sounds like the Kit from pitsunami has only a bad flash, with exchange of the hdd. Will arrive soon :)
    If they include a extra board on SCSI Bus maybe it support the gd-writer /reader, what a lovely Kit at all..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  10. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

Also interesting:
    - I remember having seen a picture somewhere of a SET5 devkit with instead of the usual 4 controller inputs,
    a plate with just 1 connector... the same as the CONT.BOX of the SET4 I would assume...
    - There are 2 types of controller boxes: 1 with the Katana logo, one without (with "maple" on it ? not sure anymore).
    I would assume that at first, the one without the Katana logo would have been used with the SET4... but it's a guess :)

11. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

i would say the Katana logo is assigned to the set4, and Sega change it on later set5 development instead. It will be awesome hard to find a controller box. On PSX the Box is nothing more that the retail port with different pinout. But i think the controller box has a active converter inside.

12. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

The answer might be in the R4 SDK in fact:

from GetStart.pdf:

"Katana System Components
    You should have received the following components as part of the Katana development system:
    • Katana/Maple controller box
    • Maple connector cable
    "

13. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

yes, sega please send me one ^^

14. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Today i got the Kit. First i checked the connections. The I/O Board is a two Layer PCB with a Cross DA board on top.

IMG_0349.JPG
    Strange that the Cross board is markt as SET5 as you can see on the PCB.
    The HDD on the system is dead. So i have to get another scsi drive. Manual say 4GB Disk with 2x2 GB FAT32 partitions. Im not sure if the controller also handle larger HDDs because 4GB Disks are fragile as hell and a working one stupid expensive..
    But ok.

My Host PC used a Adaptec 2940U PCI Controller with the latest WIN and DOS Aspi Drivers from the adaptec site.
    The Cross IO pcb has two scsi interfaces with ID 3 and 4. So i connected the 2940 on ID3 and terminate the ID4 port with an active termi.
    Than i boot the Set4 ( no BOOM at all :D). The Cross board has some LED for HDD, CD and communication. They flashing during the startup and go out after couple of seconds.
    The Host PC showing up the follow on startup:

IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0351.JPG
    On windows (win98SE) i installed the SET4 SDK. There also comes a disc with the kit with a different version i think 4.00

IMG_0354.JPG

So after that next step is DA-Check. But it gives me errors on the DA, the emulator looks ok cant test it without drive connected :

IMG_0352.JPG IMG_0353.JPG

So there a communication errors. I tryed flashing the DA and the EMU, works without problems. Anyone an idea what the DA errors can be?

IMG_0347.JPG ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    fafadou, LuizNai and Durandal like this.
  15. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Some update for those are interested.
    I replaced the hdd with a SCSI2SD V5.1 and GD-Workshop is working now
    image.jpg image (1).jpg
    After that i checked the lower interface board of the set4. Its between the set4 Mainboard and the cross board. The SCSI goes complete over the cross board and it work. So my DA problems maybe come from between. So i removed the cross board and build out the lower one. Both boards have a molex voltage connector so i start checking the resistors and boom most of them are gone.
    Only one on the upper left side has shown correctly 10k ohm, the other ones are start from - and go up till nothing.
    To be sure i desolder one of them and yes they are gone.

IMG_0412.JPG

So next step will be replacing all the resistors and caps on the lower board.
    Hopefully nothing more is damaged at all. We will see :)

fafadou, LuizNai, T_chan and 6 others like this.
  16. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

Resistors and Caps are new now on the lower board, but still have DA errors. On Startup DA-Check init the Cross board to switch the MB in Debug status and test the RAM on the Sega MB but here it comes to a crash. If anyone have a Set4 and can check with me the jumpers please let me know. I want to check this first before i go on the components, but will not give up..

LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  17. GOREFESTOR

GOREFESTOR Rising Member

Hello, I know a user that has the same problem as you with the katana devkit. He wants to put in contact with you, so here is his email: kmignaz@gmail.com and discord account: Karl Martin #7820

18. Headcrab

Headcrab (BigEvilCorporation)

Hello! I have the same DA-Check errors with my kit. I'm planning to send it to a friend to replace all caps and give it general maintenance first, I'll let you know if this solves the problem.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  19. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

What Rev is you Kit? Someone with a Set5 5.16 has also same issues, would be interessting.