Katana kit arrived with damage

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Parris, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

2. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Most of the damage is on the other side of the card acctually. The acid dissolved the solder on the large leg of the battery, went right through and took out the contact points for parts of IC801, R508, R504, R502.

Thanks, schematicts might help, but I don't think it will be a problem on that level really. The acid only eats the solder, it doesn't seem to have caused damage to anything else.

I've talked to someone that wanted to sell a Katana about buying it as a refernce. Then I'd already have a working Katana, but if I can turn that into two working Katanas that can't be bad. We'll see how that turns out.

3. Storm

Storm Robust Member

It wasn't _that_ obvious until you removed the CPU card and turned it over.

4. ChiefPFF

ChiefPFF I Fix Stuff

5. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Got myself another (working) Katana which confirmed my guess after some swapping: The "only" thing broken is the CPU board.

I've done about 50 comparative probes with a multimeter around the problem area though and can't find any more faults after my previous repairs. The only debug port I've identified the JTAG interface for the SH4, and that is not very likely to tell me anything interesting even if the CPU is running at this stage.

Now would be a good time for someone to step in and say "Oh, I have this service manual for Katanas laying around".

I now have working Katana, but I take the non-working one as a personal insult, so I'll keep that as a long term project. On the plus side I can completely strip a Katana in under 2.5 minutes now while still being careful. Rebuilding takes a few more minutes. ;-)

6. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

:lol: Are you also picky about putting the screws back where they originally came? (Probably doesn't matter since it's been taken apart by other people as well, but when I know something hasn't been taken apart before, I carefully lay the screws out so I can restore it to 100% originality. Probably a bit much, but the unit has a lot of screws, so it is useful.)

All of the printed manuals for the unit are in PDF form in the SDK, but they don't cover the hardware in detail. If Sega even kept them, they'd be the one to step in. You might have luck contacting Cross Products to see if they have any information since they worked on it as well.

A side request if you still have your units disassembled: on the bottom of the DA / GDM board, there is a sticker with a number (#### / 5000). What are the numbers of your units? I'm hoping this is an indication of how many Katanas were produced.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  7. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

hey, we think alike. :thumbsup:

8. Storm

Storm Robust Member

The first time I take a unit apart I always photograph everything, and I always put things back where they should be. Parris Unit has of been taken apart several times and is missing two screws, but my second unit seems to have been completely prestine and still has the yellow tape over the left CPU<->DA cable.

Do they still exist? http://www.crossprod.co.uk/ is stolen.

I'll try to remember that the next time I dissassemble it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  9. Parris

LOL there he is! GET HIM! :rambo:

Can I hand a faulty Naomi motherboard into you mate? It'll be next week. There must be a dry solder joint across the board somewhere as it attempts to boot and sometimes displays Naomi splash, then it cuts out. Sometimes it doesn't even get that far - however the BIOS is fine. I've gone over it, but can't spot it.

Don't want to cut over Storm's thread, so if you have any comments - PM me ;-)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  10. Parris

Storm, how did you get on with this Katana then? Any life out of it yet?

11. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Not yet. Since I have one working now it's on my more long term plan to fix the one I got from you. Right now I'm waiting for a proper replacement battery to show up in the post so I can replace the one I rigged in while trying to fix it.

Also got myself a new logic analyzer last week that might make it easier. We'll see. I'll post if there is any development.

12. raylyd

raylyd Guest

13. raylyd

raylyd Guest

any broken sega katana ask me and can repair them me and my uncle repaied like 10 units with all different faults in 2000 for devlopers like rockstar games no i did try to find betas games but no luck anyway for da chips can be reflashed 5.24 unit i only repair this type no older types i own one dev kit boxed but waiting for www.segakatana.com to make a come back

14. mooseblaster

mooseblaster Bleep. Site Supporter 2012, 2014

No offence, but your claims sound a touch dubious. 10 development machines from Rockstar? That seems a lot for a company not famous for their Dreamcast development. Surely Rockstar would send them back to Sega for repair? Include in this that in 2000 Rockstar stopped making Dreamcast games (their last one coming out in February).

Plus, you are suffering from a case of teen-typingitis. Even if you are 20, that'd make you under-14 in the year 2000 and, in my opinion, not qualified to be working on development machines.

I also know you're the one banned from Afterdawn for trying to acquire a Live Key generator and have a rather large trail of destruction around gaming forums.

Please don't try and scam people around here, else you will end up in a heap of trouble. Please allow yourself to have a pleasant stay. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  15. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

I'm pretty confident that there's nobody here crazy or stupid enough to send a Katana devkit to someone who has 13 posts and whose standard of written English is so atrocious.

16. skavenger216

skavenger216 Familiar Face

At least i hope theres nobody here that crazy or stupid.:icon_bigg seriously though, where did this kid think he was gonna get with 13 posts and HORRIBLE written english skills, lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  17. raylyd

raylyd Guest

18. Storm

Storm Robust Member

As an emergency replacement that probably works, but I already have a functional replacement, it just doesn't look exactly like the original.

(No I haven't looked at this for a while. I haven't had time to play games, much less open up hardware the last couple of months.)

19. chacal

chacal Member

Hello

I have the same problem the switch broke during transport :sorrow:

this switch is really compatible???

The sense numbering is not aligned to the pin of the original:dejection:

Sans titre.png

img10892.jpg

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/28986.pdf

20. chacal

chacal Member

it is good it is repaired