Katana kit arrived with damage

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Parris, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Ah. Oh well, I'll just have to be on the lookout for spares.

I've got contact with it over the SCSI bus now, so it's looking up. I'll fill you in on the details when I get back home from work.

2. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

Excellent! Something tells me you got a bargain, I am please to hear it is working out. My interest in the whole thing just fell apart. Not sure how many SCSI cards I tried this with, but none worked.

3. Storm

Storm Robust Member

I more or less consider it a bargain even if it doesn't work. Worst case I have spares for any future Katana acquisitions. And it has provided at least two hours of entertainment so far. :icon_bigg

4. Storm

Storm Robust Member

This is what I've done so far:

I picked the Katana apart to get a basic feel for it and fixed two things on the way:

* A bent connector on the modem board that was dangerously close to shorting out. Might have been shorted at some point, but shouldn't have damaged anything important.

* One of the flat connectors to the GD-ROM was in a skewed and in a position where it shorted several pads.

Then I took a look at the formerly broken front panel that Parris have had fixed. I can find no fault with it. Whoever fixed it did a good job of it.

Firing it up led to the aforementioned three lit orange diodes on the front. Also noticed that the seemed to be very dim compared to all the other diodes in the case.

Then I fitted it with two active terminators(1) and attached it to an old PC fitted with an Adaptec AHA-2940UW with a wide-to-narrow cable. My somewhat far fetched hope was that the terminators would make a difference in detecting the two SCSI devices that Parris never saw. Unfortunately the card did not report any devices at boot, and if the card doesn't see them at boot no amount of fiddling with drivers will make it work.

So now I was going to have to debug the entire SCSI-chain in the Katana. Fortunately I started by tracing all the power connectors, and that very quickly came upon this:

missing-molex.jpg

Attaching the missing molex to that made the machine much happier. It cycled through several patterns with the front panel diodes (now at full power) and looked and sounded much healthier. It still doesn't output anything when booting. Neither video, nor sound. But it does show up as two SCSI devices, and the test program on the PC managed to read out the versions of the two devices flash. It did not pass any of the tests in the same test program though.

Today I'm going to read up on reflashing and give that a go. Any tips on how it's done gladly accepted.

1. There have been questions about terminators before, so for reference: "Active" terminators are also called "regulated". They often have a light emitting diode on one end. Passive terminators never have this diode.

5. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

Well DUHHH! No wonder it wasn't being recognized, as the Emulation board wasn't receiving any power!

Yeah, it most likely works now. You'll have to open DACheck and set it to (either CPU or OS mode... the opposite of what it currently is) so that the Dev.Box will actually boot to the screen with audio/video when you power it up.

It's pretty much self explanatory once you load the Katana SDK disc, or you can run DB-Flash. Just remember to set the SLIDE SW switch on the front to the right, reflash, set to back to the left, then turn off your unit for at least 30 secs (sometimes a little longer since they're so old).

You'll know that it successfully reflashed when you see the Dreamcast logo on your screen.

6. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Yea, I've been trying too, but any attemt to write the DA settings ends up with "Failed to request console reset with debug". So I guess I'll have to reflash it and see if that works and interfaces better with DA-Check. A pity that there doesn't seem to be a tool for dumping the current flash. And no old versions are included.

7. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

Be sure to remove any media from the GD-ROM drive before attemting to test the unit with DACHECK / GD test. There is a disc that you're supposed to put in the GD-ROM drive for testing purposes, however if it is anything else (regular game GD-ROM, etc), the test will always fail until you remove it from the drive.

Getting two devices is very good. That means that the power supply is good.

I would reflash before expecting much of anything else at this point. Good luck and remember to be patient. It may not seem like it's doing anything for a while, but after a few minutes it will finish up.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. Storm

Storm Robust Member

No luck with that. DBFlash will not show available versions and the only available option is "Exit". The log ends with:

Trying to flash with command line options returns to the prompt right away and then brings up the GUI where the only option is "Exit".

DACheck fares a little better. It will not try to reset the Katana before starting a flash opration, so I was able to flash the DA and GDM. Unfortunately there is no way to flash the BIOS without DBFlash.

The tests still fail though because the first thing it tries to do is the same reset command DBFlash failed with. Trying to change OS<->CPU mode or restoring factory defaults runs in to the same reset problem.

I'm out of ideas for today. Anyone that has seen or heard about something like this before?

9. Dreamcast

Do you have the SDK installed? Try running GDWorkshop and see if it can connect. The SALSA error sounds very familiar. I think I may have encountered this and think it was when I tried entering GDWorkshop, however I forget what I did to remedy it. I think I may have shut everything down and tried again (boot up the Katana, wait for one minute, then boot the PC).

10. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

I would get the SALSA error from the Dreamcast Tool program in the Windows CE for Dreamcast 2.1 SDK, when I would try to 'soft reboot' the Dev.Box after loading the dcload-serial homebrew app from the HD (for a different reason), as well as random times.

I would say do what Dreamcast â„¢ suggested, perhaps 5 or even 100 times. These units will act funny, giving you problems for months, then start working again when connected.

11. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Tried that once, but I'll look a little more on it tomorrow.

12. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Today GDWorkshop is quite happy with me and I successfully created a project as described by Mark30001 in http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13438&highlight=dump+katana+bios, and then loaded it by closing the emulator door. GDWorkshop did not complain once.

Unfortunately it did not output anything on the screen. And the flash programs still complain about inability to reset.

13. Dreamcast

Follow the guide I wrote (here) for creating a dummy project. Once it's loaded and the Katana is running in emulation mode, compile one of the samples that come with the SDK and use Codescape Debugger to send the ELF to the Katana. You might have better luck with that, but you should be seeing something with running the game loaded from the hard drive.

Be sure to soft-reset the kit once it's in emulation mode. If you're not seeing anything on the screen (such as the swirl animation or the BIOS), then none of this will work. You need to get output first.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  14. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Right. And Codescape really dosn't like the kit at all. It errors out as soon as it tries to send the binary. I suppose I could unsocket the bios and have a look at manually program it with a burner. But that is a last resort I don't want to do for a while yet.

Besides, logically having a broken BIOS should not prevent me to properly communicating with the DA. But you never know how logical the Sega engineers where...

15. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

If you have the Windows CE Dreamcast 2.1 SDK, you can try to install that, run Dreamcast Tool, then 'soft' reboot it.

Unrelated:
    Oh yeah, I updated that one guide above everywhere else I posted it except in that link. Make sure you use the 1ST_READ.BIN file from the 'unscrambled' folder, not the 'scrambled' folder. ;)

16. Dreamcast

What SCSI card are you using? If the recommended one (2940), did you install the most recent drivers as well as the up-to-date ASPI package (download)?

Side note: It was actually Cross Products who designed the DA/GDM board. :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  17. Storm

Storm Robust Member

I don't unfortunately. We'll see if I have to get hold of it.

I figured. :)

18. Storm

Storm Robust Member

An Adaptec 2940UW and updated drivers. SCSI problems on the PC side are unlikely.

This investigation is now on hold until the midsummer fertility rites have been concluded. party.gif

19. Storm

Storm Robust Member

Spent some time going through everything, and I'm now fairly certain the "only" thing broken is the CPU card. Unfortunately the battery had died and decided to take as much as possibly with it in death. The battery acid have turned all solder it has come in contact with into a porous mesh of poorly conducting material.

I've resoldered a few small surface mounted components that no longer had contact with their pads, but either I didn't get them all, or something else is broken, because it still doesn't work. Will take another look later this week and just hope none of the bigger curcuits have fried as a result of all the acid-induced reconfiguration of the curcuit paths.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  20. Dreamcast

That doesn't sound good. :-( Hopefully no irreversible damage was done. It looks like the area you'll really want to focus on is component IC304 as a lot of its traces are next to the battery (though, the surface mounts appear to be at the opposite side of the battery, so hopefully the leak the localized in that one area.). I have a reasonably high-resolution scan of the area if you need it for reference.

How familiar are you with the Katana? If not very, hold on a few more days and I'll put together a schematic outlining what connects to what so you can ensure that all of the PCBs/devices are connected properly to eliminate the possibility that it was only partially put back together or put back together incorrectly during any of its many disassemblies. :D.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008