Katana kit arrived with damage

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Parris, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

I was speaking to Drussian a week or so ago about his incoming Katana kit. He'd managed to get a really good deal on eBay. Regrettably when the unit arrived it had been very badly packaged by the previous owner. Infuriated with this he immediately decided it wasn't worth proceeding with this particular unit, which I then traded.

When we spoke it was clear that the facade had been damaged and the dipswitch section had been knocked off.

Today the Katana arrived in my mitts and the damage is slightly worse, but thankfully limited to 1 PCB on the facade of the unit.

From what I can gather, the unit must have been dropped heavily onto its left hand side, which forced the frame upwards cracking the edge of the facade and pushing the rotary switch upwards and forcing the dipswitch section to literally dump all the little switches either inside the unit or into the packaging.

When I took the unit to bits I found the last missing piece!

So, the legs of the rotary switch have snapped and I am not 100% sure there is enough left to solder them to recreate the connection to the PCB. Secondly, these little ALPS dipswitch sections are as fragile as all hell. The surround is missing and although I now have the top and 4 switches there is little hope of them remaining held down against the metal contacts.

So, job 2 is finding a supplier of spare dip switches.

These should do the trick I guess: http://www.omroncomponents.eu/home/products/Switches/DIPSwitches/default.asp?ComponentID=54292&SourcePageID=52194#1

Other than that, it looks in good condition internally and should work with a bit of luck.

Is the laser a standard one found in the retail units? Or is it akin the the Nintendo NR reader, set differently?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  2. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

I think the laser is. Probably why it doesn't have a standard cd-rom tray mechanism.

Would you be able to post any pictures of the parts / damaged area?

3. Parris

I have completely rebuilt the unit in a bid to keep all the parts in one place - there really is very little space in this house that could be called my own lol

However, here is an image of the damaged area with the facade in place. I'll get better images once I get back to replacing the parts.

[​IMG]

Note the missing dip switches and the exposed copper tracks.

4. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Intrepid Member

Try this for the dip switch (SPST): http://www.surplussales.com/Switches/SWDip-1.html. Mouser Electronics is another good source, but they have a lot to sort through. The picture in the first link I sent looks just like the one you need (four positions, SPST).

For the rotary switch, I'd need to see a picture to be able to give you advice on that.

5. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Parris, i'm keeping my fings crossed. Let's hope you can bring it back to life.

6. Parris

Thanks! I'll keep you posted ;-)

7. Parris

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  8. Parris

Images of the Katana carnage!

[​IMG]

Pushing up and it moves...

[​IMG]

16 position rotary switch. 3 legs on one side, 2 on the other. None on mine!

[​IMG]

What were once 4 dip switches...now a pile of plastic & copper

[​IMG]

Ready for new parts....

[​IMG]

9. Parris

Can someone who has a fully functional Katana please post an image of their board like this or tell me whether they can read the text on the ALPS dip switch surround to indicate whether ON is UP on the board or DOWN on the board?

Just looking at the ALPS I can't tell whether it was mounted upside down on the board or not. I think from reading elsewhere and information passed to me that ON is UP, but can someone confirm please with an image?

I'm rummaging through a few online component catalogues and cannot find a 16 position DIL switch that looks like the one on this board.

It's a JAE and I think the product code is 34GT 88, although I don't seem to find anything about it anywhere. It has 3 legs on the left hand side and only 2 on the other and everything I'd found so far appears to have 6 legs.

10. babu

babu Mamihlapinatapai

[​IMG]

is this what you need?

11. Parris

Perfect - thanks! Now all I need is to find that damned 16 position DIL switch. I've emailed the manufacturers : http://www.jae.co.uk/profile1.html

But to be honest, they probably no longer manufacture it - we are talking almost 10 years ago!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  12. Festerfly

Festerfly Resolute Member

woo hoo.. another parris rebuild thread.. i like these! :D

13. DRussian

DRussian Dauntless Member

Yep makes it easier for all of us if we ever go through the same, we can just hassle Parris for the answers :thumbsup:

14. Parris

LOL - thinly disguised as ignorant fumblings into the unknown, greatly helped by people far more knowledgeable than me! That's the reality of my "fix dis thang" threads!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  15. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

I wish you the best of luck, Parris.

I've had my share of broken DevBoxes and repairing them with replacement parts online (springs, non-magnetic touch latches, etc). :/

16. Parris

Thanks Mark, I am sure it'll get there in the end. I've located a replacement set of 4 dipswitches. It's the 16 position one that's proving elusive.

17. Parris

I assume the non-magnetic touch latch is the one used on the strange push/click system for the GD-rom drive? I've never seen a drive that opened in this fashion before - quite interesting, but also pretty prone to failure I'd have thought!

When I took the unit to bits I also spotted what must be the system reset button - the largest red button I have seen inside any electrical item!

18. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

Yep. I have no idea how someone could've broken this one though. It was as if the unit was dropped on its front while the drive was still open.

I remember when I first received a DevBox in piss poor condition (with no case). I saw that red button and was like, "Ooooh, what does this button do?" while I was running a game. You could imagine what happened next. :banghead:

19. Parris

LOL !:noooo:

20. Parris

Just so people realise just how big and red it really is lol

[​IMG]

It's tucked in under the gubbins on the left hands side