Katana Dev Box GD-M issue

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Collingall, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I originally posted this in another thread but was asked to move it to its own thread for better visibility to for others with this issue.

I'm having issues with my dev box. The GD-M doesn't show up at all, I went through and checked to make sure my SCSI card had the same settings in this thread.
    What could cause the GD-M to not show up?

My unit seems to be stuck trying to emulate something, when it boots up uses a static Dreamcast logo not an animation and when it makes it to the Dreamcast menu it says it's checking the disk and hangs.

There is nothing on the HDD when I connect it directly to the SCSI card.

I did dump the two memory locations as suggested in the other thread The 2 MB bios (0x00000000 to 0x001FFFFF) & the 128 KB flash memory (0x00200000 to 0x0021FFFF), but I don't have anything to compare the dumps to.
    I tried to reflash everything that was available in dbflash, and I still get the same results.

2. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

The most common problems that I saw with the GD-M not showing on the boot screen of the SCSI card, were:
    - incorrect SCSI card settings, but you already checked that
    - a non-working HDD drive (or a HDD drive that was not connected correctly ?)
    - the power cable that was not connected to the GD-M motherboard (the board underneath the main motherboard, there's a molex connector more on the right side of the devkit, when you look at the front of the devkit)
    - never had the problem, but I imagine that you could have problems if the SCSI chain is not terminated correctly (especially if the cable is long / has interferences/ ... ?)

3. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I was able to pull the HDD and it showed up when connected directly to the SCSI card.
    It has a 2GB fat16 partition on it with no data on it, the drive is 4GB, but there are no other partitions on it.
    I re-seated all of the cables and connectors.
    I checked the molex connector at the front, it seemed like the connector was loose on the board itself so I checked it with a meter to make sure that power was still making it to the board.
    I have active terminators for the two ports that are not connected to anything. I am using a shielded 50 pin cable that is 1M long.
    Is there a certain way to set the jumpers on the HDD? I haven't even looked at those yet.

I will re-seat everything again tonight and check the power supply voltages again to make sure.
    I guess it could be possible the 12v rail is running low and the HDD doesn't get enough power.
    Thanks for the info I will let you know what I find.

4. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

Possibly. I'll have a look at the jumpers of my hdd one of the next days.
    Most devkits I've seen had a 4GB Seagate ST34520N. Do you have that one, or another hdd ?

5. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

That is the model number of mine.

6. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

IMG_20180109_190052.jpg
    This is the jumper setting on my drive.
    The model number is actually ST34555N.
    The lable on the drive shows a bunch of options that can be enabled with the jumpers, the one that is enabled is called: TP from drive.
    There is another jumper area to set an address, my drive does not have any jumpers there, so it's address is 0.

7. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

Just checked on mine, it's the same with the ST34520N hdd:
    - J2: "TP from drive" jumper set, the rest not
    - J6 (address): no jumpers at all

8. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Thank you for checking for me, I'm going to try a new drive. I think there are some 50/68 pin SCSI drives at work in the recycle pile.

9. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

Just to rule this out - the SCSI ID's on the back of the devkit are set to 3 for the GD-DA, 4 for the GD-M ?
    (the thread about the config of the SCSI card assumes this)

10. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Yeah I have set those values I originally followed the guide to set up the SDK.

11. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

Other things that I can think of:
    - Since you are in OS mode, and it has problems with the GD-ROM, it might in fact be the GD-ROM board or drive that is messing something with the GD-M board.
    -> cables: you should have 4 cables from the GD-ROM board to the miniboard above the GD drive, and 1 cable from the main motherboard to the GD-ROM board, all connected
    -> GD-rom drive: normally you can swap a Dreamcast drive assembly with the devkit drive assembly, the only difference is the cable length (as long as you don't use the drive of a Dreamcast without daughter board I think, cfr here

12. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I did swap in a working drive from one of my spare Dreamcast systems, It was from a VA1 I read that that was the way to go about replacing it. The drive that was in my Katana was ceased up since the latch was broken and the previous owner left it exposed and open in his garage. I will go back through that and see if that and see if I did something wrong. Thanks for the tip.

13. PhantasyStar

PhantasyStar Well Known Member

I'm actually having a similar problem (GD-DA shows up, GD-M does not). I swapped out the drive with another from a spare kit and it appears to work fine. I noticed that this HDD makes a few weird clicking sounds when the kit starts up, so I'm assuming that it's either dead or one of the mechanics inside is faulty. Is there anything I can do at this point to recover the data? (i.e. SCSI USB or have a professional look at it).

14. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

I would try to connect the HDD directly to the internal SCSI connector of the host adapter in your pc.
    I that doesn't work, I'm afraid it will be up to a professional to look at it...