JXD S7800b - An android tablet with built in gaming controls!

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Conker2012, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

I've bought an JXD S7800b, and it's great. It's an android tablet with built in controls; two thumbpad sticks, four shoulder buttons, a D-Pad, and four other buttons in a rough D-Pad shape (but they are separate buttons).

[​IMG]

It also has six other buttons, that you can use for Android functions (such as go back one level, and go straight back to the dashboard), but you can define some of them to use in games too. You see, one of the best things about the JXD S7800b is that you can very easily define the controls to do what you want. You know how tablet games tend to be touch control (which I hate...), since of course most tablets have no other input? Well, the JXD S7800b allows you, at a touch of one of the system buttons on the tablet, to conjure up icons for each of the physical controls. Then you drag the icons over to the onscreen controls, so that, when you press the accompanying physical button, then the accompanying part of the screen is virtually pressed! So, for example, if you want the rightmost shoulder button to fire in a game, then you first drag the icon for the rightmost shoulder button over to the fire button on the game's control display, and then pressing the rightmost shoulder button on the JXD S7800b's case triggers fire in the game. It's easier to understand than it is to explain, it's very easy to set up. And of course you can then hide the JXD S7800b's controller icons, even though they still work (of course), and the icon's positions are saved for each game or application, so you only have to set them up once for each game. It really is everything you could ask for on a gaming tablet.

[​IMG]

Plus as an Android tablet, it seems great too, being fast and responsive, and doing everything I've tried so far, though admittedly that's not a lot (web browsing and comic viewing, using the brilliant Perfect Viewer, from the Playstore) as I've just got it. The screen quality is great and responsive, the sound seems OK (though my hearing isn't great, so others can judge that better), the tablet has 16GB of onboard storage and supports Micro SD cards too. It even has HDMI out, though I've not tried it. All that for £129, brillliant!

Sadly, it's not ideal - the two problems I've found with it are:

1) The thumbsticks work fine, but aren't as good as on a dedicated joypad (such as the XBox 360's, or the PS3's joypads), but are still OK, and infinitely better than using the touchscreen for gaming.

and

2) The speed of the device. Even though the tablet is fast enough for N64 emulation (which is why I bought it, and it's great for that, though I need to use two different versions of Muppen to play different games, some games work on one but have problems on the other, still both versions are free, so it's not really a problem) and is great at web browsing and comic viewing, at the moment I can't get Blood working with DOSBox at a playable speed, it's running at a few frames per second. This might be down to me needing to alter some settings in DOSBox (though I've done what I can think of trying, and yes the frame skip isn't helping), or maybe down to the fact that Blood is one of the most demanding DOS games ever made. But the JXD S7800b can run (some) PSP and Dreamcast games at full speed, so I'd imagine that DOSBox could run Blood at full speed.

But even if I can't get Blood (or other really demanding DOS games) running at full speed on the JXD S7800b then I'd still *really* recommend the tablet. It's great as an Android tablet, and as a portable emulation system (everything from the Atari 2600 (or simpler) to the Dreamcast! And some of the emulators even come with the controls predefined for the JXD S7800b!), and is solidly built and is almost everything I could ask for in a tablet.

Finally, gaming on a tablet is possible for those of us who hate touch-screen controls!

[​IMG]

Here's a video review:

Here's where I bought it from:

http://www.funstock.co.uk/jxd-s7800b-android-gaming-tablet

More reviews:

http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/hardware-review-jxd-s7800b-android-gaming-tablet.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/jxd-s700b-android-gaming-tablet-review

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00EN399GG

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Have you tried changing the CPU clock settings or something like that? Cuz i had a similar problem with my DosBox Wii and some of my games were very slow till i messed with it. So, yeah try adding about up to 1080 or so and see what happens.

3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I've been on the fence about buying one of these but the thing that gets me is its much weaker than my phone which can run PSP and DC games full speed. I think the biggest issue is not the CPU but the lack of RAM. My phone has 3GB which really does help with speed in emulation. The JDX only has 1gb or is it 2gb now? Either way 3 is ideal.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Conker2012

Thanks, I'll try that.

2GB, but I think an earlier model (JXD S7800, i.e. it doesn't have the 'B' at the end of the name) only had 1GB from what I've read. More RAM would be nice (as would more CPU power), but the main selling point (for me, anyway) is that it has physical controls on it. I really wish it could run Windows games, but from what I've read, an x86/x64 CPU would require much more power and throw out a lot more waste heat, and no doubt the resulting Windows tablet would cost a *lot* more. Still, probably in the future we'll be able to run Windows games on a tablet (with physical controls!) and that will be brilliant!

5. StriderVM

StriderVM Peppy Member

The only reason you should buy this thing is because of the Physical buttons, nothing else, sadly with how fast things change in the phone hardware business this device is now quite outdated. :(

Although I do have a JXD S5800B and I love it til death (Of the phone) , it has emulation, it has physical buttons, it's an Android phone. :p

6. Conker2012

Absolutely true. I only bought it because it has physical buttons. I do hope that future tablets take note of the JXD S7800b's ideas, and incorporate such (or better) real controls.

7. StriderVM

StriderVM Peppy Member

There are tablets with physical buttons, but they are also quite expensive. They typically go in the $300+ range at minimum. Too expensive for me.

8. kyo86sg

kyo86sg Intrepid Member

Have you guys considered the Nvidia Shield (1st gen) ?

Its my emulator workhorse for now~

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

This device looks slapped together, and not worth it. Lack of hardware would be a major issue, emulators are always heavy.

10. StriderVM

StriderVM Peppy Member

I've been playing emulators on my JXD S5800B. It's specs are : 1.2Ghz Quad Core, 1GB RAM and Mali-400 (960x540). Spec wise it's kinda like a Quad-Core Galaxy S2.

Here's my experience on emulators on this phone :

NES = Full Speed
    Genesis = Full Speed
    SNES = Full Speed, with some exceptions.
    PC-Engine = Full Speed
    PS1 = Full Speed on software, on hardware depends on game due to upscaling and unsupported graphical effect.
    Neo-Geo = Full Speed
    MAME = On 0.3X core based emulators, full speed, varies when using the newer MAME core.
    Nintendo 64 = Varies on game.
    Dreamcast = Varies on game.
    GB/A = Full Speed
    Nintendo DS = Full Speed.
    PSP = Varies on game.

11. Conker2012

Oh no, it does feel well made. Then again, I'm no expert, so it could be (relatively) badly put together.

12. pwl

pwl You don't need a reason to help someone

I've got Secret Of Mana on my Android tablet, It's completely unplayable with touch controls. You can use Xbox 360 controllers with android tablets not tried it myself, probably the best way to go unless you wanna play it on the bus or train or something like that.

13. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Robust Member

Sadly it does not support OpenGL ES 3.0. Unfortunately, that's a deal breaker for me.

Shogun.

14. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Just the way the buttons look to me, and I'm very skeptical about Chinese tablets most the time as well. I could be very wrong myself, but the hardware is still very slow for something aimed at gaming.

15. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

Jailbroken iPad + DualShock3 > cheaply made gaming tablet with built in controls. What do you do when a button stops working?

16. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Probably the same thing you'd do with a 3DS or PSP :)

17. Mechagouki

Mechagouki Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

Well yes, assuming that you can find parts. Also I'd expect this to crap out way sooner than either of those other machines.