Jupiter project from Sega transformed into PlayStation ???

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by Lagi, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Lagi

Lagi Member

That's what I read on the comments under this youtube video even if the Youtuber didn't quote his source with the thread I created in July 2018 in this "Sega Discussion" topic (https://assemblergames.com/threads/...-project-is-simply-the-mega-cd-isnt-it.69525/), which is quite disturbing because that's what I do and it doesn't seem fair to me. Whatever...

My question : is it believable ? What do you think ?

Original source (February 2016) : http://segareniassance.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-misunderstood-mega-cdsega-cd.html

Sega United (December 2018):

You are ABSOLUTELY positively correct. “Sega Earth” is indeed the Codename of Mega CD. And Yes, it DID start off as a Laser Disc Add on Project for Mega Drive between SEGA and Pioneer in 1988. Due to Costs,limited silicon and risky bulk BOM pricing, it was scrapped in 1990 for CD, and SEGA ultimately went with JVC.

Sega United :

Also there was no “Project Saturn”, SATURN’s original Codename was “AURORA” in 1993. And not correct regarding “Project Jupiter”. JUPITER was a totally different Chipset from Saturn. It was going to use Model 1 3D technology, instead of Model 2. Saturn uses low end Model 2. Jupiter ultimately became the Sony PSX.

Dusk Racoon :

Makes somewhat sense. I mean, Sony was working with Sega on the new hardware. Just sucks Sega of Japan wasn’t for it.

Sega United :

Actually they weren’t. Sony had actually been planning a Console of their own since 1990 while signed on as a 2nd Party Partner for Nintendo’s Super Famicom, instead of doing R&D and taking the time to create their own product, Sony decided to talk its way out of the contract by creating a New Clause that would literally give them 80% Control of the Super Famicom CD add on, 30% Control of Super NES silicon, 100% OEM rights, plus the Rights to use Nintendo’s IPs like Mario and Zelda. Sony basically created a Loathsome contract that they knew Nintendo would HATE, in the middle of that, Sony found a Loophole and ended up using the Super Famicom CD add on patents and designs and stealing the “Nintendo PlayStation” IP. Regarding your claim, Sony never worked with Sega on Jupiter. They tried to eavesdrop on SEGA of Japan in September 1991 regarding upcoming Next Gen Hardware projects, but were thrown out of their Offices for making boisterous claims that couldn’t be substantiated. Sony then approached Sega of America, LIED to them about having the rights to manufacturer Sega CD when JVC has EXCLUSIVE OEM rights to Mega CD/EARTH (since Sony and Philips patented and owned CD ROM technology), and claimed to SOA, that they could design and make a CD based 3D only chipset for JUPITER, and promised SOA to meet with them and head to Japan to pitch the chipset to SEGA by March 1993. Sony NEVER met with SOA, Refused to return their calls, deliberately ignored their messages and faxes, and in the Spring of 1993, Reneged on their Promise to meet with Sega of America to discuss the pitch prospect. Instead, Sony RAN off with the Chipset and LOCKED it down. PSX is STOLEN Jupiter Hardware. Pure and Simple. It was originally and solely designed by Sony to Destroy and Dominate Sega Jupiter. Sony didn’t see the Saturn coming, neither did Sega of America. Aurora was a SURPRISE, and top Secret 64-bit project at Sega Away and SEGA AM3 and AM4 that begin in Early 1993.

Dusk Racoon :

So basically the PlayStation as we know it now was originally Sega’s hardware, but Sony stole it? Is that why the 32x and the Saturn were released and flopped? I do know the Saturn was hard to program on which lead developers to jump ship to Sony. That and the fact that there really wasn’t many retailers selling the Saturn.

Sega United :

Yup. PS1 is STOLEN SEGA Jupiter hardware. Using Stolen designs of Nintendo’s Super Nintendo CD add on. 32X was an extremely misguided,half baked idea from Sega of America and solution regarding the System 32 based MARS" Chipset. SEGA in 1990-1991 had been working on a Full fledged successor to Mega Drive called “Giga Drive” or Sega Mars. They scrapped it in 1992 after being WOWED by Nintendo’s Star Fox and turned to Jupiter and Model 1 3D instead. In Early 1993, SOJ sent GD prototypes and MARS prototype over to Sega of America with instructions to “Combine Genesis and Sega CD into SKU using System 32 Chips and make a 32-bit CD upgrade of Sega CD” codenamed “Sega CD X”. Sega of America was afraid that Genesis was going have a Huge dropoff in 1994, so they kept trying to suggest ways to keep it fresh and keep it going, at First SEGA of Japan suggesting copying Nintendo’s “Super FX” method with SVP" but SOA didn’t want to do it, SOA then assured SOJ that they had a plan, what SOA didn’t tell SOJ is that they were simply going to upgrade Genesis using System 32 tech, by exploiting Genesis’ hidden 32-bit Register Bus. In Early 1994, SEGA of Japan initially gave “Genesis 32” or “Genesis 32X” a thumbs down and “NO”, but Parent Company CSK and its owner Isao Okawa went behind Hayao Nakayama’s back and greenlit the 32X for Sega of America. Saturn didn’t flop, it underperformed its first year and half due to its steep price and minimal 3rd party support. Sega of America had completely dropped the Ball on Saturn, Wasting ALL of 1994 on 32X and missing Saturn’s first year. By the time SOA had moved on to Saturn, nobody there had any idea how to properly program and code games for it. They were confused as hell by its design and failed to teach Western 3rd Party developers how to properly make games for it and properly use the SH-2 Aurora Double Sided(Dual Core) 32-bit CPU.

fightclubhubs :

@Sega United : The PS1 hardware was not stolen plans because Sony was the ones who approached Sega after Nintendo dropped them in favor of Phillips. Sony designed the Playstation add-on for the snes and modified the hardware and presented it to Sega. SOA was interested but SOJ was against the idea and decided to use their own in house hardware. You can read the interviews from SOA president Tom Kalinske, who was for the joint project.

Sega United :

@fightclubhubs Yes. It WAS Stolen. Sony was signed on as a 2nd Party OEM for Nintendo regarding Super Famicom, they signed on in Late 1988 and co developed and designed the SA-1 Co Processor as well as designed and manufactured the Super Famicom’s Sound Chip. No, Nintendo didn’t drop them in favor of Philips, they DROPPED the Contract in 1991 after it was revealed that Sony’s Clause would have given Sony nearly ALL control of the Super Famicom CD add on the Playstation as well as access to Nintendo’s IPs and 100% OEM rights on Super Famicom. Nintendo approached Philips because they figured that Philips would provide them a CD ROM license, which makes since since Sony and Philips co developed CD-ROM and CDX technology. And unfortunately, that’s not correct. We’ve spoken to people close to Kalinske and AG themselves personally met and spoke to Tom Kalinske last year, Sony never Showed SEGA ANYTHING. They went to SOJ FIRST, NOT SOA. They met with SEGA of Japan in September 1991, and then to Sega of America in the Spring of 1992. Sony didn’t modify the Hardware, they didn’t even USE any designs from the add on because they legally could not. They instead USED blueprints,Trade secrets and Documentation of Sega Jupiter provided to them by Sega of America. Sony is NOT innocent and it is a lie that they were interested in working with SEGA, they were Not. They had plans for their OWN Game System, being CD ROM based dating back to 1990 and exploited being an OEM to get it made. They stole Nintendo’s IP and Casing Mockups for Super Famicom CD to design PSX, and then STOLE Sega of America’s OWN designed Chipset for Jupiter by lying about being licensed to manufacturer Sega CD SKUs.

fightclubhubs :

@SegaUnited : In an interview with USgamer, Kalinske stats that Sony’s Olafsson and Schulhof came to him and SOA where he agreed on the endevour to team up on a new console. ““We had the Sony guys and our engineers in the United States come up with specs for what this next optical-based hardware system would be. And with these specs, Olafsson, Schulhof and I went to Japan, and we met with Sony’s Ken Kutaragi. He said it was a great idea, and as we all lose money on hardware, let’s jointly market a single system – the Sega/Sony hardware system – and whatever loss we make, we split that loss.”” After that, Tom went to Nakayama who said no, calling it stupid and that Sony had no idea how to make a game console. There were no stolen plans, Everything was a joint venture until the Board of Directors from SOJ ended it.

Sega United :

@FightClubHuBBs : Tom Never went to Nakayama regarding Sony and Jupiter, SOA and SOJ RARELY shared information with each other regarding OEM prospects and actual internal R&D, especially with the Large Culture Barriers at the time. SOJ did not find out about this planned pitch prospect until Early 1993, they had already REJECTED doing ANY business with Sony long before that. Kalinske was referring to what “Sony told us in 1992 regarding their idea for a CD based Jupiter Chipset”. His accounts are from 1992. Again, Sony FIRST met with SEGA of Japan in September 1991 BEFORE they came to Sega of America in '92. Kalinske confirmed this with AG last year. SOA thought that Sony wanted to provide a CD ROM based Jupiter design and was scheduled to meet with SOA in the Early Spring of '93, Sony NEVER fulfilled their end of the bargain, they instead threw together a design based ENTIRELY on PC components using Jupiter Documentation,designs and proposed Specs, and again NEVER returned SOA’s Calls and Fax Messages. Before SOA could even meet with Sony, they finally discovered that SEGA of Japan had already previously met with Sony, had rejected any plans for partnerships with them, and also that Sony was ILLEGALLY manufacturing Sega CD units. JVC then filed a “OEM Infringement” Lawsuit against Sony, as a result, Model 1 Sega CDs were abruptly pulled from the Market. Sony NEVER,EVER fulfilled their obligations to Sega of America, they pretended that they had interest as a 2nd Party Partner for Jupiter, promised them a CD ROM Chipset build, but instead of allowing them to use it, RAN off with it and locked it down. There’s a Reason why Aurora/SATURN was kept Top Secret and why SOA was left in the dark about it: When SEGA of Japan found out about Sega of America meeting with Sony for the Jupiter and had shared Top Secret Information on JUPITER to Sony, SEGA was Stymied and had to Retool the ENTIRE Jupiter Project. I don’t think you understand how much this affected SEGA’s R&D, the Saturn design ended up being thrown together hastily in Mid '93, because Sega Away ultimately had to scrap Jupiter altogether after Model 1 had a very POOR showing and debut at JAMMA/JAEPO in the Summer of 1993. Hideki Sato,Hideki Okamura and Yu Suzuki had all started work on a planned Full fledged Model 2 based Console codenamed “Aurora” in February 1993, AM3 was working on AURORA, while Sega Away 27 and AM4 were working on what was called “Project Jupiter Phase 2” Which basically was going to be “System 32 with Model 2 3D technology”. The Reason why JUPITER got scrapped is because Sony basically lifted and STOLE all of its designs,specs,documentation and blueprints. If they were so innocent and what you claim is true, then they wouldn’t have had a Prototype already by the End of 1993. Before Scrapping Jupiter, SEGA decided on a compromise: Instead of Abandoning Jupiter P2 and instead of moving forward with the Ambitiously costly 64-bit Aurora Project, Nakayama decided that it was just be practical to combine both Projects together into One and thus it was christened “SATURN” from Jupiter to Saturn, The Next Logical Step. Saturn is ACTUALLY a 64-bit Console at heart. Pseudo 64 bit to be exact. Okawa forced its Beta Design to be rushed into production and cut off the proper 4 month taping it needed in order to be properly documented and designed. FYI, Saturn was also Cartridge Based much like Jupiter, CD ROM RISC or CDR was added as an Afterthought to the Design. Saturn itself was released as an 80% Compete product. Its actual core design was incomplete.

fightclubhubbs :

Can I see your sources please? There is no info I can find about Project Jupiter being shut down because of allegedly plans being stolen but because it wasn’t cost effective to have a cartridge/cd hybrid 32bit system. And that the plan was scrapped in mid 1994. I also can’t find any info about this lawsuit from jvc against Sony, or evidence of illegal sega cd manufacturing.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    jollyroger likes this.
  2. Lagi

Lagi Member

Here is the next step of the discussion :

fightclubhubbs :

Also how can you say Tom never went to Nakayama when HE said so himself.

Sega United :

Because that’s not what he told AG. He didn’t go to Nakayama until Late 1993 to attempt to pitch the “Ultra 64” chipset. Here’s the Quote from his conversation with AG,LLC in April 2017. “By The Second half of 1993, we at Sega Amusements USA were still laser focused on JUPITER. We weren’t given any updates regarding what solution SEGA of Japan at Sega Away27 was working on. Majority of the Gaming Press was pretty impressed with Model 1, and were all convinced that Model 1 was the next Step SEGA was going in regards to the Next Generation, so we assumed that’s what SOJ was working on. We found out earlier that year that Sony had already met with SEGA and CSK Shareholders in 1991 prior to Sony Envoys meeting with us in April of '92, and that Nakayama had already said No to the idea of a Sega/Sony Partnership. We were completely bamboozled by Sony and thus decided to see something much more POWERFUL. That’s when we ran into Silicon Graphics Inc, who had done the SFX for the Film The Lawnmower Man, SGI was very ambitious about getting into the PC Graphics Game and Console Graphics game. They had an incredibly powerful and Versatile piece of Computer Hardware codenamed “G64” which included a single 64-bit CPU from NEC called VR4300, Miller,Fuller and I were all convinced that Nakayama would be Overjoyed, so in October 1993, we flew to Toyko in an attempt to pitch the G64 chipset, to our surprise, Nakayama demurred. He explained to us that SEGA and CSK had already spent WAY too much on different chipsets, and that it would be too much of a financial headache for SEGA to move forward with G64, he suggested we pitch the design to Rival Nintendo after hearing the MAJOR trouble they had run into in R&D regarding the 5th Generation because of doing business with Sony and Philips(Philips had infringed on Nintendo’s IPs much like Sony had attempted, and thus Nintendo finally scrapped plans for a CD add on), so we instead pitched the design to Nintendo who graciously accepted it. When we asked what SEGA was planning, Nakayama flat out confessed that Jupiter had already been abandoned, that Japanese Arcade Spectators were completely underwhelmed by Model 1. That instead, a Solution CLOSE to Model 2 was being planned. He didn’t reveal the name, or any details. Instead, he told me that he would tell me everything before Christmas, and in December 1993, had me sign an NDA and explained that SOA must not be told of “SATURN” until January 1994. I then found out about the SATURN for the first time, and found out that SEGA was moving forward with a CD based design after all. I felt a bit scared seeing that I didn’t tell boss about our solution for MARS/System 32.” This is verbatim what AG was told by Kalinske. By the time Kalinske got back in touch with Nakayama, SOA had already MOVED on from Sony.

Sega United :

@FightClubHuBBs. Not Mid 1994. Jupiter was scrapped altogether in August 1993. By 1994, SOJ was solely focused on SATURN and SATURN alone.

And also, Jupiter was a CARTRIDGE based Design. NOT CD based. SOA and Sony had a CD based solution being proposed. But it ultimately ended up as PSX once Sony ran off with Jupiter’s Documentation after 1992.

fightclubhubbs :

Honestly I have a hard time believing some of this because What you are claiming Kalinske said last year contradicts what he said 2-3 years prior that 2017 interview. Either Tom isn’t telling the whole truth, remembers it wrong, or can’t keep his story straight, or he’s covering up. I would like to continue this conversation with you. Would you be interested in talking about this on my podcast?

Sega United :

The only way We would be interested in a Podcast especially regarding SEGA’s history, their Corporate Structure and Hierarchy back in the 90s under CSK Holdings(which was a Japanese offshoot of Paramount’s Gulf Western) and information on the 3 back to back Early 90s Next Gen projects of MARS,JUPITER and Aurora that SEGA had going on while involved with NASA and Lockheed Martin, is if you’d be interested in AG’s ambitious SEGA Console Initiative, that they’ve been working on since 2016 called “RAZOR Game Console” or “Operation Razor”, we at Sega United/UNG are advocates and future business affiliates with them. Razor is a REAL thing, and is VERY serious. In fact, AG is currently meeting up with Investors and Angels to get it bankrolled.

fightclubhubbs :

I’m only interested in having a discussion about historical facts in regards to Sega’s history with Sony due to this interesting conversation. I have no problem delving into the History of Mars, Jupiter, Aurora or Pluto. However I am not interested in promoting Operation Razor as my show is discussion platform not a promotion platform.

Sega United :

We would have to consult with AG, before doing any podcasts as any info regarding the Meeting they had with Kalinske last year is confidential and could soon be under NDA(the business plans they discussed), as we are only allowed to disclose what Kalinske told them regarding what happened in the Early 90s. Without promotion of the upcoming “Operation Razor” Tour that will be at Anime Cons,Sci Fi Cons and Comic Book Cons beginning in March which will display the functional,low end placeholder prototype only and design “U” at Showroom Demonstrations and Exhibits,(The main chipset, the 4K powered,Ray Tracing enabled, Pseudonym will be demonstrated behind closed doors to many developers and publishers) will be having a podcast on SEGA’s history, would certainly be moot as we at Sega United/UNG and or friends and business affiliates AG,LLC are trying to bring the SEGA brand back, and our VERY serious with our business initiative. Regarding PLUTO. Sega Pluto was an Upgraded Saturn. Basically Saturn with a New 8 MB RAM Chip powered with CRX tech, which would have allowed the Saturn to run full Model 2 power, allowed it TT&L capability and would have allowed it to run VF3 in CRX power. In 1996, it was scrapped in favor of Dural, the Earliest Phase of Dreamcast. Dural ultimately was turned into the Sega Model 3, as Black Belt and Katana became the final two planned chipsets for the Dreamcast.

C.H :

"Operation Razor"? You mean "Operation wooden table"?

Sega United :

@C.H : Mock The "Razor Game Console" as many times as you want. Its STILL pretty much in development and will soon be investor bankrolled.

Jason A :

Sega is garbage. Give it up fanboy.

Sega United :

@Jason A. Typing on a Computer accomplishes nothing. Razor is indeed coming and will be going public Next March.

Lagi :

@SegaUnited If everything you have been saying is true, that Kalinske lied/forgot many things in his interviews (which would not be surprising to me…), it would be pure golden information and would slap a lot of the assumptions given by many people in the Sega community, authors and journalists included with the PSX / Saturn rivalry ! Just a question then, one I deliberately wanted an answer for many years : can you tell me why the 32X has the same dual SH2 architecture as the Saturn ? In what context was the 32X planned ? Everything can be reconsidered with what you’re telling ! I would really be interested in an interview via email. Cheers.

Introduction of Sega United on his Youtube Page :

My name is Sega Renaissance , I am the Administrator and Owner of SegaUnited.com and the incoming Executive Officer of G****Enterprises and our incoming Webring service U.N.G. As an affiliate,advocate and business partner of Alethiea Games,LLC, I'm sure you have alot of lingering questions regarding RAZOR. These questions I cannot answer as we don't speak for Alethiea Games, but we are GLAD to help assist you with referring to you some basics of what RAZOR is and can definitely refer you to Alethiea Games' contact information and press info. If you're interested to know what RAZOR is and how long its been in operations. Let me quickly explain. RAZOR or The RAZOR console is a Stand Alone, Independently developed Next Gen Game Console Project that Virginia State Based Alethiea Games is working on and getting proper legal funding for. The console will be Pitched to Sega Holdings,Co,Ltd in Japan in the approach where Sega licenses the console from Alethiea Games and ultimately buys it from AG. Sega will handle 90% duties of RAZOR, sales,marketing,licensing,distribution,manufacturing,procurement, management. Alethiea Games will act as a Licensee or "IP Sharing Partner' of its Console or "Technology Partner" in the same league as WebTV in the 90s, Also in some for like 3DO and SK Hynix and TiVo today. Once successful, AGs will sell its rights and company off to Sega. In the same way that WebTV Systems was acquired by Microsoft in 1999, and became MSN TV where it lasted another 11 years and its services ran all the way until Early 2013. For Basic information and details about The Razor, please check out these 2 Interviews Alethiea Games conduced with JDDauntless and MaDZ Game in August of 2016: Also, feel free to check out their Webpage! http://www.razorconsole.com

The guy on the video doesn't seem very serious by the way. I'm quite surprised by the first minutes of the interview with the change of picture as if he was not self-confident... I wonder if the whole thing is not the worst joke ever...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    jollyroger likes this.
  3. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Please tell me this isn't the guy who rears his head online every few years within fan circles to insist that Sega is on the verge of announcing a Dreamcast 2 (which is such an original name, BTW), citing insiders whose information regularly flies in the face of what can be easily verified by multiple reputable sources... If so, at least it seems he finally got a pipe dream console project of his own, though I'd certainly steer clear of supporting blatantly obvious vapourware. For one, the URL in that previous message doesn't link to anything, not to mention the rants at his blog just brought back some terrifying memories of past hoaxes! Stolen technology making it onto shelves without legal repercussion or claiming that figures like Hayao Nakayama and Tom Kalinske have repeatedly lied when discussing major business deals? Yeah, just look at what happened between Sega and 3dfx to see how seriously courts take failed collaborations between multi million dollar companies - there's little chance even a fraction of this went down the way he's claiming.

Arcadia and Yakumo like this.
  4. Chewieshmoo

Chewieshmoo Spirited Member

Pretty sure it IS the same guy, he is very insistent, comes back always implying he "has Sega's ear" and is in talks etc, but nothing ever comes of it. He really is fanatical, he seems to do it purely for the attention which many desperate sega fanboys are happy to give him. I have challenged him many times in the past in various forums, comments, threads but he can never give any real evidence or back up his claims eventually just labelling me as a "hater, troll etc" , he is amusing in his stubbornness but I have found it best to simply ignore him and stick to real sources.

5. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

It's a fun read though :)

6. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Wow, I love Sega but that guy spouts nothing but nonsense. What a waste of time he is.

7. Lagi

Lagi Member

I would tend to agree with you given the lack of seriousness I could have found in the different links (empty website, weird interview, different videos praising the Razor, ...) but what he's writing seems too specific not to lend a careful ear.

With a friend of mine who's very talented in hardware analysis, we noticed there are some coincidences which are linked to what Sega Renaissance is saying. For instance, it's true that Sega-CD 1 disappeared from strores very quickly to let the Mega-CD 2 replace it. However, for the Mega-CD 2, Sega left its production to two companies : Funaï and... Sony. Moreover, some components from the Mega-CD 1 don't come from JVC (none actually) but from Sony. 3 models of Mega-CD 1 do exist, 3 models of which 2 of them have a CD driver from Sony.

According to the commentaries under this Youtube video, what is especially interesting is that we understand that Sega is part of a more important holding company ("CSK Holdings, which was a Japanese offshoot of Paramount’s Gulf Western", as the discussion above says), contrary to Nintendo and Sony which are companies on their own. With this approach we don't see very often in the interviews given by the employees (Kalinske, Miller, ...), we see Sega as a company being part of a financial conglomerate and that's pretty new to see it from this perspective. Why ? Because the CEO of CSK in Japan allowed 32X production whilst Nakayama was saying "NO !" to this project. There may be a good reason now to find the same Dual-SH2 in the 32X as well... simply with the influence of CSK which was above Nakayama's decisions and leaked the tech features of the Saturn, while Nakayama didn't want to say anything to SOA. This, of course, may be guessed with the complaints of SOA (Kalinske) ignoring what the Saturn was about (which has been said in Kalinske's interviews)...

Of course we need sources. Who doesn't need them ? But sometimes, just like Fox Mulder, we have to believe...

I'm not going to talk about the details but Sega Renaissance's way of talking about the research, the manufacturing of chips, the providers and the foundries (the foundry makes the chip, the provider distributes it ; it may be the same company or the provider which makes an appeal to a foundry) is right.

However, claiming that Sony is behind the Super Famicom sound chip (TRUE) and the SA-1 (WRONG) in the same time may bring doubts because the SA-1 is a 65c816 chip which was produced by Ricoh, not by Sony... If he's mixing SA-1 with the SPC700 (sound chip of the Super Famicom), it would be a real problem because it's really not the same chip... AT ALL ! How can he be mistaking such a detail like this one while he seems to know everything about the production and manufacturing line of a mainstream electronic product.

He is very trustworthy in his chronology but has some flaws on well known details and allows himself to advertise his Razor thing ! What's the point ??? As a result, I don't know what to think of it. What we can say for sure is that there has been babbling from Sega people at the time. They shaped the truth in the way they wanted, which should comfort everyone to resist to believe anything they are saying just because the guys are labelled "insiders" (Kalinske, Miller, Sato, ...). The real actors of the manufacturing of consoles, we actually never heard them ! We "just" have interviews from senior project managers, but as far as we know, they don't work directly on the hardware of the "beasts". They are more like coordinators who organize people to produce the machine. Then if we are looking for the real truth, we need to make people who thought and assembled consoles talk. It's them (not "him" for the sole - let alone - Hideki Sato as you noticed) and only THEM who will be able to give the context and the reasons of their technical choices.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  8. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Purely for giggles, here's the "manifesto" I copied from SU's blog:

Mickey Rooney's Crazy Pills!

9. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

yes, CSK or ADO internal story is true

and about SA-1 story , is true too
    sa1.jpg

10. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

I quickly gave up, really bad read, and the video is just as dumb. Project Earth? Well whatever, but there was NEVER a Project Jupiter that became the Sony Playstation! How do I know this? Because the CEO of SEGA of America, Tom Kalinske, has given several detailed accounts of it all. Tom, along with Olaf Olafsson and Ken Kutaragi of Sony agreed on a joint CD-based system, as they both had some technology and SoCal design houses for full motion video. Sega of Japan, as usual, declined the offer. In quick succession, Sony would hired Sega (of America) personnel by the handful when developing the Playstation. However, the idea that SEGA's ideas were stolen by SONY is laughable, and there was never a joint project of any kind that went beyond the meeting phase.

11. Lagi

Lagi Member

yes, CSK or ADO internal story is true

and about SA-1 story , is true too
    [​IMG]

HI_Ricky > Can you be more specific ? What do you mean by ADO ?

Moreover, what do you want to prove with the picture of the SA-1 chip ? That Ricoh made it, right ?

12. Lagi

Lagi Member

13. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

in old day,ADO is 2nd (brother/sister) company with CSK, there is a lot background/underground between CSK, ADO and SEGA
    ok, i skip long story , make is easy know :
    on hardware project CSK (BOSS?) ask SEGA build Project plan than allow CSK told ADO research , than ADO report back to CSK ,CSK ask SEGA allow / rebuild Project plan . after than is ADO and SEGA build prototype / final kit , report back to CSK ...
    btw . after build production line , parts channel , all full with ADO

about Sony stolen / got the info should be from ADO research.....

yes, I prove picture because SA-1 is Ricoh made it :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  14. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

I am not sure what you mean.
    It is well known that Ricoh made the SA-1, the point here was whether Sony designed it, or whether Sony had actually anything to do with it.