Joined the "youtube channel" people...new series featuring M2 stuff - new video -11/20!

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by awbacon, Oct 23, 2018.

1. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

Hey all,

Posted this in the 3DO / M2 section, but considering there might be...um...six total people active in there haha I am leaving it here

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2pQB4jsCTLUtx2NIkCvUg

I've been working on getting this off the ground for awhile now, and today is launch day. For the next ten weeks or so I will be releasing weekly videos on the M2 hardware, including all five Konami games, kiosk software, M2 hardware, and a bunch of other stuff.

After that I will have a second "season" dedicated to a new topic. The entire channel will be dedicated to rare / obscure / overlooked games and hardware.

So check it out if you like! and come post in the M2 subforums...we could use the company! :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Stipo360, Zant, Swisstoni and 4 others like this.
  2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Good stuff man. There's a major lack of M2 stuff on YouTube. Looking forward to seeing what you will show.

3. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

Thanks. Ive been able to collect a ton of stuff over the last god knows how many years of searching, so it should be a good time!

4. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Same here. I am not extremely fond of the M2 but I admire the technical features it had (e.g. dual CPU), in fact at some point in the past I was looking to have a chat with the graphics processor designers.
    Looking forward to the videos.

5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Looking forward to seeing these, the M2 has always interested me (then again, it's an unreleased console so duh).
    Always great to learn more about this kinda stuff

6. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Consider me subscribed. I'm always open to videos on obscure hardware. The more unusual the better!

7. Swisstoni

Swisstoni Member

Subscribed

8. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

Thanks! New episode tomorrow at 4pm CST

9. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

just uploaded the second episode in the series. Another short intro one but on tech. Next week three episodes release, all with some fun gameplay

10. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

uploaded an entire playthrough of Tobe! Polystars w/ and w/o commentary, as well as a history and info video on the game including all the original discs and art I own from it. Hope you guys enjoy! Sub if you can...I want to get rid of that horrible url and get a custom one lol

Next week : Total Vice! The first full playthrough of the game ever to hit youtube

11. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

Bump. Just uploaded the entire playthrough (for the first time ever) for Total Vice. With and without commentary plus a history and collection video.

Hope you guys like it. It’s been super fun bringing this to light!

12. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

The next video in the series is live and on the Cirrus Logic / 3DO M2 Marvin board gpu prototype. Hope someone on here finds it interesting!

13. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

Bump. New episode today. 1080p60 full capture of Evil Night by Konami. First direct capture on YouTube in years (and only one with hd res and native frame rate)

Hope you all enjoy!

14. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

two new episodes this morning. I redid my translation of the M2 version of D2 cinematics, and remastered it a second time for a bit better quality. Added a second video with some history on the M2 version of D2 and the overall process of how I made the restoration.

Hope you guys enjoy!

15. Baseley09

Baseley09 Resolute Member

Nice one, subscribed!

16. 3do

3do Segata Sanshiro!

Great stuff, I always love new content related to the M2 as there isn't a ton of it out there.
    Out of everything retro gaming, both released and unreleased, the M2 has to be the one thing that fascinates me the most.

Not only is the history of it interesting particularly how far along in development it got, but also despite the console being canned we managed to get some games released for M2 based arcade hardware. And also the fact that the tech behind the console lived on albeit something other than a console.
    I also love the bits a pieces of hardware that kicking about, and that have been shown off, especially when that console with the N64-like controler showed up on here, that was just amazing to see as I certainly thought it was long gone plus the YT footage of IMSA and D2.

17. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

Glad you are enjoying it! It's been super fun to collect all the stuff I have shown off, and I have even more stuff to come in the upcoming episodes.

I've managed to collect eight M2's at this point in time, including all the original Konami arcade games, along with some stuff for the console / kiosk variations. Some has already been seen (but I will be showing it differently) and others have never been seen before.

Keep checking into the channel for more fun stuff. And if anyone on here can subscribe, it greatly helps me grow the audience! After the M2 season, I will continue to upload episodes on rare or unknown games / other hardware platforms!

18. 3do

3do Segata Sanshiro!

I may be wishing for too much, but I'd love to see the M2 addon for the original 3DO, that blue(?) console with the 6 button controller or even the Goldstar one that looks like the original Goldstar alive II but with boomerang shape controller.

Even just more video footage of what's been shared before on here or elsewhere is fantastic.

19. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

I've never heard or seen anything of them other than those few photos. If they still do exist nobody knows except the person who has them.

I can't imagine how M2 would have ever been an add-on. Between the data rate of the M2 cd-rom and the overall bus width of the hardware, it would never have been inter operable. M2 originally started with a one PowerPC 602 design, and a second was added later as a polygon setup engine, but even with a solo processor I don't think M2 as an add-on was feasible.

Obviously Goldstar used the M2 molds for the Alive II after it was cancelled it seems...nothing else they could put in it except another 3DO

3do likes this.
  20. awbacon

awbacon Robust Member

That's my goal. By the end of "season 1" of the show, the channel will be the largest visual depository of M2 related content anywhere. I still have the two Konami games to go, plus kiosk software, comparison videos, etc etc

Plus I got a full kit Battle Tryst delivered to my house Tuesday. I've never seen a full kit before with original Konami box and paperwork, so that'll be fun to show off

3do likes this.