Japanese Saturn Modem

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by BetaGuy64, May 18, 2019.

1. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

I have a Japanese Sega Saturn and I was wondering if the Japanese modem still retains functionality. I've heard that the American modem still does, but apparently it's a little different than the Japanese version. I also don't know how the region would contribute to differences/complications with use. Is it still just P2P with a regular landline? If not, how could I accommodate for differences, if at all? Is it possible to use the American modem on a Japanese Saturn? Thanks!

2. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

no it won't work.
    unlike Netlink Modem the Japanese X-BAND Modem is designed to dial into the central server using the media card as the charging method.

Since there's no longer the center server maintained by Sega it's useless there will be nothing to manage the matching service and others.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    BetaGuy64 likes this.
  3. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

Hmm... Wouldn't one need to have a card with actual money on it to get through to a server? Things involving money aren't usually bypassed so easily... Maybe I misunderstood your statement.

4. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

Yes and I happen to have couple of Sega Media cards with the credit still on.
    They aren’t too hard to come across if you are into collecting those.

I saw that the company created the X-BAND still has the code and certain group is creating the X-BAND server that allows the Megadrive X-BAND modem working so it’d be possible with Saturn down the track?

Or use the Victor Modem which doesn’t require the charging media card. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2019