Jaguar unreleased games info

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by BeckHansen, Nov 26, 2008.

1. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

Let's see what pops up on those diskettes, which said Atari employee calls them Jagettes. I'm looking foward what he might unearth on those diskettes.
    And for the record, i like Trevor McFur. Yeah, it's not very flashy but one thing i can praise the game is that special weapons are assignated to the keypads, so in any critical situation you can quickly change to a useful sub-weapon to save yourself. Fun fact: the programmer of the game is best known for the excellent S.T.U.N. Runner. You can criticize Atari for their desicions in buisness but keep this in mind: Companies are not our friends. They can listen to us if we speak loud but at the end of the day, they're corporations.
    And i know what i'm talking about, he came by himself to show his stuff. Not only the team of Crescent Galaxy were involved but also some members from AVP.

2. LD

LD Peppy Member

I'm honestly not exactly sure what your trying to say in that post.

Atari had my parents money initially..buying systems and games for myself as a child..then my own money as i grew older.

We were consumers simply buying goods.

They made promises..and didn't deliver..we wouldn't have lost Jaguar..Lynx games threads if they had...

Skilled coders..artists. .designers have all worked on games they would now rather forget or wished had been done differently.

Until we see exactly what is on the files..We aren't going to know if any of these were a true killer app in the making or more clones of existing 16 bit titles.

If it's the latter..or we find assets were simply reused in games like Crescent Galaxy. .then I'm sorry, but as interesting to see as they will be..all they will really do is underline what's already been established...

Atari really had no clue what 64 bit gaming was supposed to deliver..

Mario Kart, Thunderforce, Sonic and Mortal Kombat clones certainly were not the answer..so let's hope there are games of the scope and ambition of Black Ice white Noise in amongst them..

Hell i would settle for something like Imagitec Design's Freelancer as that was used alongside Tempest 2000 in early Jaguar days to suggest type of titles only Jaguar would offer..even if we later found work was further ahead on PC version..

Whatever Happened to Freelancer?
    Date: 1998/07/12

It got dropped, when we examined what we could do with the CD it just no
    way was as flexible as the PC CD-ROMs and drivers available. Also the
    designer left after doing the PC version for 2 years, we had prototypes on
    the PC done but running very slow, using Brender by Argonaut but with no
    hardware acceleration on 33mhz 486. For the Jag version we were going to
    license the Jag Doom engine but we had a few problems getting the tools to
    work on the Next machine. (we had to buy one and somebody had to learn how
    to use it)

http://www.atarihq.c...eo/jeo_0203.htm

I had Martin H. reply to my letter in UFG at the time saying work had been stopped on the Jaguar version and project switched instead to much more capable PS1 instead..

I was gutted as this was exactly the type of game i wanted to see on Jaguar and he hadn't even said how much more work needed to be done on Jaguar version..to finish it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  3. LD

LD Peppy Member

The site which hosted my interview with Core Design's P.R guy, Richard Barclay closed long ago..but here's what he had to say about magazine claims of Jaguar Tomb Raider:

'.. we definitely acquired
    mock up screen shots and paraded them around as in-development
    projects. Also, I wouldn’t have lied to journalists and pretended
    those screen shots were something they weren’t. I’d have said they
    were mock ups of a title coming to Jaguar. Also, we were very much in
    the Sega camp in the early 1990s with titles like Chuck Rock,
    Thunderhawk and Jaguar XJ 220 being massive hits.'

and:

'.... If Jeremy Heath-Smith had said we’d be publishing Tomb Raider
    on Jaguar, it would have been all guns blazing about it at the time'.

Can't say fairer than that..;-)

4. KGRAMR

Ok, i'll post a update here about what i know of many of the unreleased games for the Jag and their whereabouts at the moment, according to various of my sources + the people who had come foward at JSIII:

- A user by the name of Pelvis Saunders showed a lot of Atari diskettes that he had for many years and one of them has a never-before heard game for the system called Space Pirates (not to be confused with the 3DO game of the same name). It was being made by many of the team from Trevor Mcfur but also some core members from AVP. Hope he can show what the game looks like. Fun fact: According to Pelvis, many of the assets from that game were re-used on Trevor Mcfur.

- According to a interview with Olivier Nallet (programmer of Super Burnout) done here: http://itscoolfromsaturn.blogspot.com/2012/11/olivier-nallet-interview.html Nexus (or Stellar X) was about 30% complete but info about how complete the game is seems conflictive, as the Mobygames' entry for Shen Technologies lists Nexus as 70% complete: http://www.mobygames.com/company/shen-technologies-sarl. Tan Kheang (artist of SB) has a VHS that shows gameplay of the game but he hasn't been able to find it. Based on the various interviews i've looked at done by Fredifredo, it seems to point out that the person who may have a build of the game is Elysée Adé. According to a interview with Thierry Schembry, he also has work related to Zzyorxx II (since he worked alongside Virtual Xperience to bring SB to life).

- Mike J. Mika found Jaguar Bomberman on his brother Jeremy's garage not too long ago on a CD-R. It was backed up by him, Jeremy and a unknown Jaguar scener. It's unknown if they do plan to reléase it to the public.

- David Wightman (who was one of the key members at Creative Edge Software) has Green-Thang, Chopper & Battle Lords, according to the interview rygar posted at AA: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207172-david-wightman-baldies-s-creator-interview/ He also has a unverified Taito arcade conversion for the Jaguar as well.

- According to Scott "Opressor" LeGrand (one of the heads behind Battlesphere), prototypes of Phear escaped on various flash cartridges after being tested at Atari HQ (the only two people at the moment who did played it back in the day were Jeff Minter & Tal-Funke Bilu). Not to mention the fact that it was shown at WCES 1995.

- While Carlo Perconti has said that the source code of Conan is lost, said game was also shown at WCES 1995 & previewed on various magazine so, flash cartridges containing the one-level demo are out there.

-Deathwatch's source code is lost unfortunately, based on this post at AA by panamajoe: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/30340-sad-news-about-deathwatch/ but the game was shown at E3 1995 & previewed on various magazines as well so, most likely flash carts containing the game do exist.

- Apeshit's source code is also lost but i did a chat with a tester of the Jaguar version of Soccer Kid called Roy and he told me that a guy named Warren Lancashire may have some answers related to the game. Like with the other two, Apeshit was previewed on EDGE & Gamefan so there's a flash cart with the game.

- A guy called Jetboot Jack posted this at AA years ago: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/3862-how-hard-is-it-to-make-jag-games/?hl=tinhead Tinhead for the Jaguar does exists. In fact, according to Nick Court (who was the key member on Gotcha!), he knows the guy who has the Jaguar build of the game, alongside with a Jaguar build for Gunship 2000 as well.

- Steve Wilcox has Virtuoso for the Jaguar CD, since he is the owner of Elite Systems who made the game. Telegames' Pete Mortimer also has a complete prototype too though (along with a slew of other games they still have unpublished, such as Super Off-Road, Powerslide, Wild Cup Soccer, European Soccer Challenge, Graham Gooch World Class Cricket & James Pond III to name a few).

- Richard Turner (owner of the Justclaws website) has a prototype of iThink's Asteroids. He even demoed to the attendees of EJagFest 2000.

- Beyond Games still has Mechtiles, BattleWheels 2025 & Azeron for the Jaguar on their HQs. The same goes to Rebellion's Legions of the Undead, according to a old RGV interview with Jason Kingsley.

- Supposedly, according to one of my sources, Tim (a.k.a. Buddybudies) has Nerf Max Force, Country Grid, Kid Grid, Highlander II: The Quest for Knowledge & Highlander III.

- At the time Songbird Productions adquired Total Carnage, they also got 2 other games from Midway. Supposedly, they're Dactyl Joust & Mortal Kombat III.

- Jason "Mega" Data has the 3 final builds of Thea Realm Fighters, waiting to be dumped online.

- Ishar III: The Seven Gates of Infinity was 100% completed, according to the programmer who worked at Silmarils. Not sure what happend to Deus on the Jag...

- A programmer who worked at Rage Software (whose name eludes me at the moment), Striker '95 was almost complete for the Jaguar but was canned alongside the 3DO version of that game.

- Kick-Off 3 was also almost finished for the Jag, it was even previewed by CVG in 1994 but was canned thanks to a fatal bug that Anco refused to fix since Atari didn't pay them. A prototype does exists though, as a old JSII user showed a direct-feed screenshot many years ago.

- Jason Lane, who was tester of MC3D, tested Lobo for the Jaguar back in the day at Atari so, there's a build somewhere.

- Jonathan Court has Gotcha!

- Douglas Little also has Livewire. Gary "Gatzee" Taylor had a flash cart containing the game but he accidentally deleted it when he tried to dump it online sadly.

- Mark "Grooybee" Ball has Moles (a Lemmings clone).

- Force Design has a slew of games remaining to be published as well, such as God Earth Troopers Pluz, Legion Force Jidai: The Next Era, CRAZE, Battle Puzzler!, ImageR3, Not my Hood & Black Jag: Hyper Power League.

- Alan H. Burgess has Automaniacs.

- A user by the name of psvitagamer at Unseen64 stated that he has Revs. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,20,21 & 22 of Black Ice/White Noise.

- I did talked to Mike Diskette about Magic Carpet on the Jaguar but, i didn't asked him if he still had the build his team was making for the system.

- Frozen Utopia had plans to bring Mysterious Song for the Jaguar CD, along with no more than 10 other games for the system.

- All of Team17 unreleased games for the system were destroyed by them (Witchwood, Allegiance & Rollcage).

- OMC Games (The Assassin, Dark Guardian, Age of Darkness, Eternal Darkness & Orb of Bengazi) & Starcat Developments (Star Alliance, Jagworm, Juiced, Eerievale & more) titles were lost thanks to a unfortunate HDD crash. I spoke to both James Garvin & Lars Hannig about them and that's what they pretty much told me. Only various demos of their games survived. Same applies to Dark Knight Games' Defcon 1.

- Soulstar remains to be published, although somebody at this point will dump the full & corrupt-free Jaguar CD version online, to end with that copyright nightmare.

That's all i have for now...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    arnoldlayne likes this.
  5. LD

LD Peppy Member

I'm pretty much done with Jaguar stuff, as people clearly don't find it a draw and this is meant as a constructive comment..

But unless you have credible sources that say Conan source code has been found from the various magazines that previewed it..it's speculation it's out there and needs to be presented as a POSSIBLE find.

Rebellion did not confirm they had Legions source code only it was a possibility:

Rogue Trooper

Talking of Legions...just what were the plans for the game? adventure type, but in Doom style engine?.

Jason Kingsley

Dungeon exploring action game was on the cards with stop-motion generated enemies from models. I’ve still got a few of the models about the office somewhere.

The Laird

Legions Of The Undead - how far did this game get into development? Are there any prototypes lying around or source code for it?

Jason Kingsley

Probably some code somewhere in an archive here. There was the basic engine and some bad guys running around from what I can remember. I’ll ask IT. It will annoy them a lot!

Jason confirms he has the models..and IT possibly have the code on an archive.

Gunship 2000 Drew Northcott confirmed only exists as some early 3D modelling, so any early builds..will be basic.

The question of Soul Star getting a legal release was put to multiple ex Core Design staff..all gave the same answer..will never happen..
    .legal nightmare..I.P rights now lie with different corporations who have armies of legal teams

This met with a response sometime later on Atari Age someone was going to release it anyway, people could report him, he didn't care etc.

If this did happen..well it's no different than the ST ports everyone's up in arms about.

Soul Star is built using Mark 'Mac' Avory's sprite engine and has permission been sought there for starters?

Plus given likes of Square Enix own 1 regional rights to the I.P now..good luck if it draws their attention.

I didn't bother asking Mike if he'd kept source code for Jaguar CD Magic Carpet..as prospect of seeing a plain, untextured landscape demo wasn't appalling.

Loved the game on PS1..Saturn version also very good, so if folks want to play it on console..2 very worthy ports out there.

I'm only commenting as i looked into these titles..and live wire..

Would be interested in your ex-Rage coder as his comments differ from what Peter Johnson told me when I interviewed him for ST GAMER Volume 2 about Rage having more than Power Drive Rally in development, but as he's not named or there's no link to his comments..it's hard to put them in context.

6. KGRAMR

I think you didn't read everything i posted :/ did i said that Conan's SC still existed? Didn't i said that i couldn't remember the name of the Rage programmer who told me about Striker? Probably not...And i have other stuff to do outside of the Internet to remember everything, so keep that in mind.

7. LD

LD Peppy Member

Trouble is..i have read everything you've posted on here from day 1 and that's why this dance ends here.

You claimed i was part of Reboot..had been altering Wikipedia content of the Jaguar..all utter nonsense.

You gave an incorrect version of events regarding what Leonard Tramiel said regarding the Panther.

And now your here twisting what Rebellion said and so on and so on

It's a game to you I'm sure..a means to bring up Atari Age Mods, Reboot, Piko, myself etc as the bad guys..

I dunno and honestly don't care.

What I do believe in, is making sure the few and i do put emphasis on it being just a few..people who have a genuine interest in lost Atari games get the most credible evidence.

That's why..to this point, i've put time to these little.. exchanges.

But it's irrelevant in grand scheme of things and has simply run it's course.

8. KGRAMR

The comments i posted from Leonard were copypasted exactly as he said. I don't care about Reboot anymore. Sauron can go die in a fire (worst admin. i've seen on a forum) and if Piko wants to keep up releasing ST hybrid ports that have no buisness being on the Jaguar then that's not my problem. I don't care anymore. I need to remind you that this is the internet again, you never know if any of the unreleased games for the system could pop up at any given time ;)

9. KGRAMR

Here's a article related to Phase Zero that i found out a month ago:
    20229785_891558431010173_8096154674258592016_o.jpg

10. KGRAMR

Recovered from the depths of the net thanks to one of my collaborators, here's the document that Jason had (or still has) for AC/DC: Defenders of Metal for the Jaguar CD. Here's the premise of the gamr from Jason's original AA post:
    "AC/DC for Jaguar will be a hard-rocking, sometimes humorous but never frivolous battle for musical supremacy, in which the bad --together or as individuals--will fight its way up through various levels of musical opposition in various venues. The entire adventure will be presented in the context of a Holy Crusade, in which te gand must meet and vanquish the best and worst of each genre--disco, rap, pop, pseudo-rock, country, jazz, oldies, classical and Muzak--in order to establish their undisputed supremacy. An example of a level might include maneuvering their way through hrordes of leisure-suited Travolta look-alikes, battling their way through stage door security, getting past an army of roadies, and finally facing the Bee-Gees and Big Donna Summer (or facsimiles thereof) in mortal combat. ......Finally, this is a project which--perhaps above all others--screams to be made for CD-ROM. AC/DC is, after all, music.....A cool action game backed up with a rampaging, window-busting soundtrack, and stamped with the AC/DC logo has all the making of a hit. Let's crank it up!"
    20953023_10156118445512080_2038490100394488304_n.jpg
    21055145_10156118444542080_6457697737342724104_o.jpg

11. KGRAMR

IS2a.jpg While it was released, here's the documentation of Iron Soldier 2 (which is not online BTW):

12. KGRAMR

OK, this is was a attempt i made to re-order the documents & papers LD got from Scott and posted on Atarimania & Atari.io (since they were posted on a disordened manner), Curt Vendel's payment list and more, so here's almost all of them & sorry for the multiple post everybody. This talks about some of the games that weren't released released (seriously, the list of unreleased games for the system is ridiculous!)...
    First lot includes: The Atari & Sega cross-licensing agreement for various games to be picked up for the Jag (although pages from the big list is missing some pages), Curt's payment schedule list, Contract file memo, the Epyx titles memo (which is from 1993 so these titles that were released already for the Lynx were getting picked up for the Jaguar), Faxes related to Demolition Man, Creature Shock & Commender Blood (which there's prototypes in the hands of very few people), comments & some of the documentation for Jack Nicklaus Cyber Golf, and last but no least, the letter to Sunsoft that mentions Riven: the sequel to Myst.
    2.jpg 3.jpg 8.jpg 10.jpg 7.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 73.jpg

13. KGRAMR

The second lot includes: the Dactyl Joust letters (organized chronologically), Comments on Spacewar 2000, NHL license & testing reports of Brett Hull NHL Hockey + Ringler's messed up relation with Atari (also organized chronologically):
    5.jpg 6.jpg 12.jpg 23.jpg 24.jpg 25.jpg 96.jpg 97.jpg 98.jpg 99.jpg

14. KGRAMR

The third lot includes: the letters to Take 2 that mentions Iron Blood for the Jag, a letter that talks about Mortal Kombat III on the Jaguar,
    letters that talk about Batman Forever for the Jaguar CD, a letter that speaks about Iron Man/XO Manowar, a status report about Major Havoc 2000 + Return to Crystal Castles (a planned 3D platformer starring Bentley Bear), the alpha submission of Varuna's Forces, letters that mentions Sudden Impact by Creative Talents, letters from J. Patton that talk about Nerf Max Force, Evaluation report of Return to Magic & letters that talk about Wes Craven's Mindripper. All organized chronologically...
    93.jpg 94.jpg 95.jpg 92.jpg 83.jpg 82.jpg 81.jpg 80.jpg 79.jpg 78.jpg

15. KGRAMR

The fourt & last lot: a piece of paper that mentions Space Pirate (which is in the hands of Pelvis Saunders), a fax of Telegames that speaks about James Pond III & Ultimate Brain Games, a letter from Virgin Games that mentions Heart of Darkness, Bioware's Metal Hive & a title called Trap Shoot, Atari Jaguar CD press release, IVR system components for the VR headset + more VR-related stuff & the statement released by Hasbro declaring the Atari Jaguar as a open platform...
    77.jpg 74.jpg 72.jpg 52.jpg 18.jpg 84.jpg 86.jpg 85.jpg 20.gif

16. KGRAMR

Here's another update about the whereabouts of some of the unreleased Jaguar titles. I did all this finding talking directly to some of the people who worked on the game, researching various stuff avaiable on the net about them while the others were thanks to various fellows who worked on magazines back then and now:

- Douglas M. Little still has Livewire & stuff that were used to develop the game.
    - Elysée Adé has both Zzyorxx II & Nexus. To date, nobody has contacted him to see if he can release them online. Since he worked closely with Virtual Xperience, he most likely has some stuff related to Indiana Jags but i doubt it.
    - David Wightman still hass Green-Thang, Chopper & Battle Lords but he also has European Soccer Challenge & a unverified Taito arcade port. He hasn't dumped them online due to lack of time from his part but he's willing to do it.
    - Mike Mika still has Jaguar Bomberman but unless his brother and lead programmer of the game gives him the right to post it online, he can't release it.
    - Clint Thompson has one of the prototypes of Phear.
    - Jonathan Court still has Gotcha!, while his brother knows the name of the fellow who has Tinhead & Gunship 2000 for the system. Maybe i should speak to him to see if he knows the name of that fellow.
    - Colin Hughes has a Geometry Wars-esque game that he showed at Jagfest X-treme (X) UK 2010.
    - Jonathan Nagelman has Nerf Max Force, Highlander 2: The Quest for Knowledge, Highlander 3, Country Grid & Kid Grid.
    - Jason Smith has Kick-Off 3.
    - Jason Data has the rest of the builds of Thea Realm Fighters.
    - Ken Saunders has Space Pírate.
    - Steve Wilcox has Virtuoso.
    - Pete Mortimer at Telegames UK may still have under his warehouse Graham Gooch's World Class Cricket, Casino Royale, Super Off-Road, Powerslide, James Pond III & Wild Cup Soccer.
    - Gremiln Interactive were the ones doing Litil Divil for the Jaguar CD.
    - Trimark Interactive and Acclaim were also behind of Warlock for the Jaguar.
    - Jason S. Lane may have a build of Lobo for the Jag CD. So he's going to search on his house to see if he has anything else besides the storyboards of Major Havoc 2000 (assuming if he still has them after all these years).
    - Mark Ball has Moles.
    - Warren Lancashire may know what happend to Apeshit.
    - Terance Williams has a load of games unpublished for the system such as God Earth Troopers Pluz, Black Jag: Hyper Power League, CRAZE!, Battle Puzzler!, Legion Force Jidai: The Next Era, ImageR3 & Not my Hood.
    - Richard Turner has a prototype of Asteroids from iThink but he also may have his other homebrew games such as Bong+ 1999 & Looney Lander.
    - Carl Willams adquired 3 games from Midway back in 2003. One of them was Total Carnage, while the other 2 might be Dactyl Joust & Mortal Kombat 3 (which, according to one of my sources, they're far from finished and they may need some finishing touches & bug fixing). He may also adquired Ishar III: The Seven Gates of Infinity for the Jaguar CD.
    - Beyond Games (Now called Wildworks) still has Azeron, Mechtiles & BattleWheels.
    - Rebellion may still have on their HQs some remaining work of Legions of the Undead.
    - 3 people, including Shaun McClure have stated that the Jaguar CD version of Freelancer 2120: The Asaka Project did existed. Space Junk also was ported from the Falcon to the Jaguar CD as well and was a straight conversion of the Falcon version. A build does exists but hasn't been found, according to one of the programmers at Imagitec Desing who worked on the conversion.
    - Alan H. Burgess may still have Automaniacs.
    - I spoke to Rover from Frozen Utopía about some of the games they had planned for the Jaguar CD at the time before the homebrew scene turned hostile at them, those were Mysterious Song Remake, Lucretia: Demon Princess & Einzelgänger (which was previously titled Metro Blaster) by Jason Greene & with music composed by Philip J. Wood. The last 2 will be coming to the PC Engine.
    - I spoke to both Lars Hieronymus & James Garvin about the games they were working on for the system and sadly they told me that the only thing that survived from them were some of the demos that they released online to the public. Star Alliance: Battle for Earth, Jagworm, Juiced & Eerievale by Lars and Dark Guardian Ep.1: Unknown Enemy, The Assasin, Orb of Bengazi, The Age of Darkness & Eternal Darkness: Scent of the Spider by James were all lost on a HDDs crash their computers suffered.
    - Dave Bell of Dark Knight Games also lost Defcon 1 by the same thing above.
    - Lawrence Staveley has a more further along build of Slam Racer.
    - While Stewart Green & Carlo Perconti have stated that the source codes of Deathwatch & Conan were lost, builds of them do exists, since they were shown at WCES 1995 & E3 1995 respectively.
    - John Sanderson may have some work related to Dungeon Dephts & Assault: Covert Ops.
    - Vince Valenti may know what happend to Circle of Four.
    - A programmer at Rage Software did indeed worked on Striker '95 for the Jaguar (which was also being worked on for the 3DO) before being canned nearly complete. I think it was Antonio or something like that.
    - All of the games Team17 was working on for the Jaguar (Witchwood, Rollcage, Allegiance, etc.) were destroyed by them apparently, according to one of my sources.
    - To date, nobody has contacted in the slightest to any of the guys who worked at Band in the Box Entertainment about their planned games for the system (The Cleansing starring Bill Donahue, S.A.I. Corps, Gunfight Max & their unnamed 2D fighter).
    - Andrew H. Denton has a load of unreleased stuff he might plan to sell them, Jaguar included. Ted Tahquechi also sold some of his unreleased stuff at Craigslist and so did Faran Thomason. Tom Gillen also had stuff from his Atari days that he was going to show but he passed away before he had the chance to do it unfortunately.
    - Chris Purvanice has all the the builds of Black Ice/ White Noise (Revs. 1-23). B.J. West also gave us the whistle that the FMVs & sprites of that game were stored on 3 sets of 12 BetaCAM tapes so hunt for them!. Chris also has HDDs that he got from Jason Smith years ago after the closure of Jaguar Sector II.
    - There was a little homebrew game Chris Contreras (who posted about the existance of Super Space Acer from JSII at The 3DO Zone forums years ago) he worked on called Bomber Vs. Fighter but he lost it sadly.
    - Stormworks Interactive lost Hard Corps, Zero, their version of Pong & Arkanna years ago (Zero, Pong & Arkanna got demos released but Hard Corps didn't had such luck). They also have unpublished: Freedoom, Heretic, Chex Quest, Airstrike & a Tron game
    - To date, Atariowl has never released a demo of his wonderful looking Owl Project game he was working on.
    - Steve Scavone of 3D Stooges Software has 4 games unpublished as well, one is a 3D rendition of Warlords, another is a Tron-esque game, one is called UFO & the other one was Adventure 2000.
    - Rastersoft (who made Frog Feast) was also working on a port of the beat 'em up game Connaone for the Jaguar.
    - To date, nobody that worked at Hyper Image has managed to find the source code of Phase Zero for the Jaguar in order to properly finish the game.
    - According to Jeff Kilgroe, he lost the HDD that contained Centipede 2000. It's not know if he found it or it's completely lost at this point.
    - I spoke to Darryl Still about FIFA International Soccer for the Jaguar and he told me that Atari didn't managed to make the port 'cause they lost the license, so they had to go for Fever Pitch Soccer.
    - While Native was never completed for the Jaguar, Duranik at one point said that he could come back to it if there was demand, despite the release of Sturmwind on the Dreamcast.
    - Matthias Domin has 2 games unfinished & 1 nearly finished, ready to be released. Those are Jagmarble, Jagmania & Clicks.
    - On eBay, a proposal document for Tiertex's unreleased Top Fuel appeared years ago.
    - Jason Smith also has on JSII at the very beginning documentation from Ocean that talked about Robocop on the Jaguar. Apparently, it was some kind of hybrid port combining the arcade & the computer versions of the game.
    - The list of unreleased games became more larger than ever thanks to the documents Scott Stilphen unearthed. Stuff such as the proposed Sega titles from the Atari v Sega demand & a contract file from November 1995 that listed even more titles.
    - Curt Vendel's Atari 1995 payment schedule also showed several more titles.
    - Softgold was not only working on Earthworm Jim for the Jaguar (thanks to Björn from EJagfest for speaking to Christopher Schmitz about it!) but they were planning a conversion of Turrican for the Jag as well!.

Phew...That's all i have for now...I hope some of these titles listed do manage to see the light of the day in some form...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    batmitereturns and arnoldlayne like this.
  17. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

I wish the remaining unreleased Dreamcast games were as well documented and tracked down!

Just want to say thanks for these posts :)

LD and KGRAMR like this.
  18. LD

LD Peppy Member

The Atari I.O Poster who was commenting under username of Marigul is:Faran Thompson, someone i myself had the pleasure of interviewing a good while back, he's just done another fantastic interview and shed a little more light on a lost Jaguar game/Jaguar development:

Faran:
    The most infamous Jag game that I worked on that never got out the blocks was Mindripper, based on a cheesy Wes Craven produced film. It was fun, because this was at the point where Atari Upper Management was giving everyone a little more room to try to get stuff done and make interesting things. This was probably around the Black Ice/White Noise, Highlander era where we got actual budgets and resources to make games. The budgets on Raiden/Bubsy/etc. were less than Game Boy game budgets! The movie company gave us access to actors like Lance Henriksen and access to the set and the props. So even though the movie was pretty schlocky I think the game would have been fun, it would have been a cheesier and gorier version of AvP. I think if Mindripper had gotten done it would have had cult status, but still would have been in the shadow of AVP.

http://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/faran-thomason/

19. LD

LD Peppy Member

Old news, but Dan McNamee, Jaguar AVP Lead Tester talking about why we never saw a CD version of the game:

Q) Dan, towards the end of Atari's relations with the Jaguar, I did a
    few interviews/discussions with Don Thomas. He had said they would
    never do AVP #2, either as a second cartridge or a CD-ROM with all
    that extra room for extra graphics, sound, etc...
    He made it sound mostly like a finicial reason. Do you have any inside info you can pass along now?

Dan:It was basically a licensing issue. Fox wouldn't let us buy the license to
    do a sequel or an improved CD version. We could have put the AvP cart on
    CD, but it would have had to have been the exact same game as the cart, no
    changes at all.

Thanks to Atari explorer Online for the info.

20. LD

LD Peppy Member

Dan also cleared up why AVP was delayed on Jaguar..

AvP Reminiscing
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Subject: Re: CD? Syndrome

Date: 1997/12/02
    Newsgroups: rec.games.video.atari,alt.atari-jaguar.discussion

On Mon, 01 Dec 1997 18:10:58 - The Jag had been out for al least a year when AvP was
    >released. Atari had sent the program back to Rebellion several times to
    >be re-worked, I think Atari put more into making sure AvP was an
    >excellent title than any other Jag cart. From what I can recall from the
    >time it was being worked on, it was sent back for a major overhaul once
    >to increase the detail of the graphics (look at the screenshots from
    >early versions on your Jag box - very pixelated). Unfortunately, this
    >increased detail meant reduced frame rate, but I'm very happy with the
    >final product. Other requested changes I heard about - make the eggs
    >part of the game (originally they just sat there - the only face huggers
    >you encountered were running around loose, not freshly hatched) and to
    >make the game "more immersive" (sounds like a request to make it more
    >RPG-ish and less Doom-ish).

Actually most of the graphics were really good, we just added some
    additional items and cleaned up some of their stuff that needed a bit of
    work. The really big thing we did was redesign all of the levels and the
    gameplay, as well as come up with the entire story line and the ability to
    play as Alien, Predator or Marine.

The problem with the levels as originally designed was that they were HUGE,
    totally random mazes based on a 64x64 grid. This caused several debugging
    problems since we had to make sure that all of the walls were actually
    there. It also caused problems in that Rebellion's engine could only
    handle so many objects on a level, not just creatures, but all objects
    other than walls, enemies, medkits, ammo and scenery items, so it made the
    levels very sparse so you could wander around for a VERY long time
    (sometimes up to an hour) without running into anything at all, and the
    random maze layout of the levels just made it all frustrating. Anyway, so
    we reduced the level size to a 32x32 grid and went from there. Admittedly,
    the levels are still mazes, but we did try to make each level have a
    purpose as well as a semi rational layout as a working space station/
    military base/training facility. We also tried to make each game as
    different as possible within the structure of the game engine, so the
    Marine game was a bit of a RPG, the Alien game a bit more strategy and the
    Predator game more of a shoot-em-up, basically a little of something for
    everyone.

>And yes, much of the slow movement is intentional. Look at how fast you
    >move when playing the alien! Though as the marine, I think they could
    >have let you turn faster, or choose to run, instead of always moving at
    >a walk.

Yes, the slower movement was intentional. All of the characters could have
    moved as fast as the alien, but we wanted each to have it's own feel. We
    did complain quite a bit about the turning speed, but were told that there
    wasn't anything that could be done with it. We also requested a run for
    the Marine and Predator as well, but it got pushed down the priority list
    and dropped due to the need to get the game out. We also had a lot of
    other nifty things we wanted to put into the game that got cut because of
    time.

Dan
    ex-Atari, Lead Tester of AvP

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    And the dropped features from AVP:
    Subject: Re: CD? Syndrome
    Date: 1997/12/05

>> We also had a lot of other nifty things we wanted to put into
    >> the game that got cut because of time.
    >>
    >
    >I assume that includes the fabled grenade launcher? Are there any other
    >interesting items cut out that you would care to share with us?

Yep, the grenade launcher was one. We wanted to put in a run and jump for
    all of the characters. We wanted a jump attack for the alien where you
    would be impervious to attack (or take less damage at least) during the
    jump. This was since the alien didn't have any distance weapons/attacks.
    We wanted outside views on the station (i.e. on the outer walls you could
    open the portholes and see outside). Network play (of course <G>). That's
    just a few I can remember off the top of my head.

Dan

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Again, thanks to Atari Explorer Online for preserving the information.

Very old news, but found on a HDD along with few other odds n sods, when i had been collecting info for AVP Galaxy, thought i might as well get it documented here, as people online still like to believe reason AVP was delayed was becauseRebellion were rubbish coders and hadn't seen the Alien/Predator films prior to starting work on the game.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017