1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

Jaguar unreleased games info

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by BeckHansen, Nov 26, 2008.

1. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Atari Jaguar Aficionado

This one is something of a mystery since it doesn't talk a lot about the game but here it is, B.I.O.S Fear by Zinc Studio. The images speak louder than words + a little extra:
    16586916_784398155059535_7736485350418677439_o.jpg 16602366_784398795059471_2948478375191207727_o.jpg 19223003_868367429995940_8914007501783310745_o.jpg

ItsMeMario likes this.
  2. KGRAMR

Here's my last post of the day and this is for fans of Rebellion, Legions of the Undead. This was going to feature a improved 3D Engine from AVP, including steps,diagonal walls,the ability to look up and down and more but sadly it was canned. According a interview with one of the devs. who worked on the game, they still have the models they used and supposedly they may have the source code of the game. Supposedly, Songbird Productions are talking to Rebellion to see if it's posible to complete the game...Sorry for the multiple posts but i want to get this to the public so everybody can see them and i really want to thank a lot to the Jaguar Sector III community for revealing more info about many of the unreleased games and their help in doing so. You guys rock :) Here's some scans from Ultimate Future Gamer and GameFan:
    15994641_10154269941428596_7119406348390322325_o.jpg 15895924_10154254862468596_6392591822018532859_o.jpg

ItsMeMario likes this.
  3. Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon Spirited Member

http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/in...id=385:rebellioninterview&catid=91&Itemid=160

With regards to the James Pond 3 documents etc..

Everything was passed onto Atarimania, which as you can see by the links already put up had started putting the information up.

However the person with them is dealing with some very pressing real life issues (and my thoughts go out to him at this most difficult of times..) so updating the Jaguar section is the last thing on his mind.

People should be more considerate as likes of Atarimania, GTW, Unseen64 do this in their free time.

I was given the documents by someone with no interest in Jaguar etc and asked to pass them to those that could make best use..i have done and they are being used as the site staff see fit.

Some adding to existing entries,others using to follow up leads to see if there's enough material to do a write up on.

Given the amount of interview links, mag scans, misc posts from both of us, I'm sure anyone new to Jaguar has a wealth of material to read through and decide for themselves without any desperate need to see misc documents explaining why the Jaguar port of yet another 16bit game failed to arrive just yet, espically when it's been explained why..the coder vanished with code..Atari offered chance to have it started from scratch etc..

Regarding Conan..whether code for that exists somewhere or not is speculation at this point, i simply go with the info Carlo P. told me when I spoke to him years back, game wasn't as people had said..2 levels complete, just 1St level started,but not finished.

I put a degree of reality to my research..

Carlo said he'd lost all source code, someone else might have it, but at present that's speculation.

Rebellion thought they had Legions Of Undead Source Code..somewhere..

Guildo H. Thought he still had a Panther development system somewhere..

Jim Gregory was going to clear out his garage of development systems, so I put him in touch with a few contacts of mine, they never heard anymore..

Andrew H. mentioned he might have 7800 Paperboy code somewhere and got people on AA demanding he find it..:mad:

I was told I could have all the FMV from Oceans HMS Carnage by coder, if he found it..

If there's follow up material, that's great, folks often forwarded on photos, concept art, scribbles etc anything they find, but often they find the wife has had a clear up or ex wife destroyed it or data degraded..your talking years old material.

Community should be grateful for what is being preserved and accept it takes sites like Atarimania time to process wealth of material they get sent.

Jaguar was such a niche platform for them to cover, as was Lynx, of course they are going to focus on A8 and ST over the newly built Jaguar section.

The PDF files of all the internal mails, game designs etc are in safe hands, no danger of being lost.

Info from them being shared.

So just be patient, no one on here is banging the door down for Jaguar info..

Bios Fear isn't really a mystery either..

It would of been another port...

Interview with coders talking about 3DO version here:

http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/articles/interviews/zinc_studios/

Your asking me why people cant see docs for James Pond III at a time this thread is creaking under more Jaguar info than it's had for years..

As soon as i put up Mike Diskett comments you tried to counter what he'd said, when full exchange was up on AA years ago, link to it and comments by Alex now up on here.

You reference Guildo H's Panther game, Conan and Rebellion's Legions Of The Undead..I've put Q's to all involved and shared info as soon as it came in, now adding that info here...

So just let Atarimania etc use the PDF files at their own pace.

Any further Jaguar finds from myself will be done via Unseen64/Atarimania, so if anyone is a Jaguar fan i suggest they check in there from time to time or sign up to JS III?.

For myself, Jaguar was a nice, niche platform to look into on behalf of myself, help sites like RVG/Unseen64 supply Q's for interviews etc, but it's not worth the leg work trying to find out what became of the weaker titles these days.

As for speculating that code might still exist..i wish likes of Songbird/Piko Interactive all the very best there.

Most replies i've had seem to be along lines of coders/artist's saying they now regret not keeping back up's at the time, publishers simply threw EPROM's in boxes/drawers and were forgotten about then thrown out..if it's there to be found hopefully someone will find it.

But you can only report back on what the coders/artists etc tell you and if nothing else, that's another lead followed up at least.

Time to unwatch this thread and leave future Jaguar research to others.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  4. KGRAMR

I prefer to have a positive mind in this subject. I would love to see all of this unreleased games for the Jaguar surfacing one day (especially knowing what has been happening on the DC scene as of late), but that's up to the people who has it to make it so. If they don't want to talk about their experience due to some bad memories or a NDA contract (which to be honest it doesn't have any validity at this point in time) then so be it but there's nothing worst than Force them to make them speak. Maybe someone with the likes of Piko Interactive and Collectorvision could rescue some of those games (Songbird is still doing it, despite the years it takes to make it so). I love the Jaguar and i love many of the games that were released (especially knowing some of the stories that devs. took to make it so, such as NBA Jam T.E.). Don't be negative in this subject, someday, somehow, many of these unreleased games will surface. After the closure of Jaguar Sector II, many of the stuff that were in there almost dissapeared completely but there's good people out there who care about the system and want to try to get some of these stuff out there as quick as possible before it's too late to do something about it...(Something i forgot to reiterate, there's nothing that pisses me off more tan people having such important stuff such as documents and paperworks that talks about unreleased Jaguar stuff :mad: )

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  5. KGRAMR

OK, here's the mysterious Slam Racer by Sinister Developments (the makers of Painter for the Atari ST). Not much is known about the game but since many of the devs. who worked on it have came foward to Jaguar Sector III, many things came to light in regards to both this game and Twin Crystals. Slam Racer is a overhead racing game, similar to Power Drive Rally by Rage Liverpool for the same system. It was going to feature 10 tracks to race, 4 vehicles with different weapons and atributes, various mini-games and there were also talks to have a Network mode for Multiplayer. Now many think that this is a homebrew game but actually it's not, it was going to be a Official release from Atari planned to be published sometime in 1996 (AFAIK this game was never previewed in anything). Sadly, this game couldn't have come in a bad time, since that was the last year of Atari as a console manufacturer. The team spent 15.000$ for the dev. kits that were used to develop the game that they're making for a year for nothing unfortunately.

Now in regards to the mini-games, they were going to be 2 or 3 i believe, those were:
    - Painter (yes, this was confirmed by one of the developers of the game. Painter was actually going to be a hidden game in SR).
    - Asteroids (not the one by iThink)
    - Jetpac (This one was written by Lawrence "Cyrano Jones of D-Bug" Staveley back in 1995 or so in 2 days, in order for him to get acquainted with the Jaguar hardware (since he had no previous experience with it). Unfortunately, 2 issues arose: Rare didn't give permission for Jetpac to be included in SR and Atari going belly up about two weeks before Sinister Dev. handed the game to them)

It's too bad it wasn't finished 'cause it would've been a pretty good racer for the system. Here's some comments directly from one of the progammers of the game in regards to how it was programmed:
    "Slam Racer is all written in hand coded assembler, mostly in gpu risc chunks. The Jaguar object list processor is a very interesting piece of hardware which is very powerful if you can figure out an efficient way to build the object list. The reason this is difficult is because the object list is made of a number of compressed fields that sit at bit offsets that require a lot of shifting (heavy on CPU). So, if you get creative and only modify parts of the object list that need changing instead of rebuilding the whole thing and use pre-shifted values you can do amazing things."

And here's some more:
    "Hard to say on the completion percentage, the last 20% takes 80% of the time [​IMG] It was playable, but needed a lot of tweaking to get to releasable. There's probably still an issue getting stuck in walls due to fractional movement. It probably has the most efficient scroll field with animating tiles in any Jaguar game, it was all running easily at 60 fps with room to spare. That gpu risc was buggy but very fast."

And here's one from the artist of the game in regards to how the graphics were made:
    "Hi there, this was a loooong time ago. Although I did some artwork that Gordon used within Painter (the logo for example) I'm not sure how much of my artwork ended up in Slam Racer (if any). Another chap did the graphics of the cars for example. But to answer your question I used a few - Deluxe Paint, NeoChrome Master and Spectrum512 - On an Atari STe and an Amiga."

Now, what about Twin Crystals, since it was being made by them and it's also listed on the old but trustworthy Cyberroach list? Well, here's 2 comments by the same programmer:
    "Twin Crystals was a possible game, we chose to work on Slam Racer as our first major title. Painter was intended to be a hidden Easter egg within Slam Racer. It ended up that Slam Racer (incomplete) was hidden in the Painter CD release."

"There is nothing in existence for Twin Crystals other than the name and some ideas, think 2D dungeon crawler where you get awesome powers once you find the 2 twin crystals for a level."

Twin Crystals doesn't sound like a bad idea for a game isn't it :)?

Sinister Developments (at the time) was conformed by: Gordon Gibson, Lawrence Staveley, David Hoot Crawford, David Cowan, Alasdair Macmillan, Iain Turnbull, Tom McRae, Graham Lang, Jamie Grant, Rich Willams and The Sound Dude!. If you guys are wondering who has the source code of the game, well it's Lawrence Staveley.
    a1.png a2.png a3.png a4.png a5.png

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  6. KGRAMR

I've been wondering, why there's no forum for Atari stuff here on ASSEMbler? It would be cool to show some love for Atari here. I know there's various threads for Atari stuff but not one exclusive for it :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. KGRAMR

Ok, a little bump for this but here's the passwords for Tiny Toon Adventures' platformer build (a.k.a. the one from the Preservation Pack):
    TTA LV1 PW.png TTA LV2 PW.png TTA LV3 PW.png TTA LV4 PW.png TTA LV5 PW.png

8. KGRAMR

Here's also something that some of the old members from Jaguar Sector II will remember :) it was saved by one of the old organizers of the various Jagfest on the USA:

Attached Files:

9. KGRAMR

OK so here's a oddity that, to this day, i'm still surprised it hasn't been dumped online...Asteroids (or probably Asteroids 2000) by iThink. Not much it is known about it besides the company that developed it, nor we know the year it was planned for released back in the day or why it was cancelled. Also, as far as i'm aware it was never even previewed on any magazine that i know of. It's a update to the Atari classic of the same name but with updated, pre-rendered graphics and if i had to guess, it probably features more game modes than the one shown here. The pics were posted by the owner of Justclaws, Richard Turner. There's a prototype of this game out there, based on this screenshot by Lars Hannig from EJagfest 2000...
    astroid0.jpg astroid1.jpg astroid2.jpg astroid3.jpg astroid4.jpg astroid7.jpg astroid8.jpg astroid9.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  10. KGRAMR

This is one of the more oddest unreleased games for the system and it was heavily advertised a lot on various magazines such as Gamepro and EGM, along with the also never released Video Jukebox for the Jaguar, Hosenose & Booger by ASG Technologies. I'm not going to gush a lot about it but i'm going to resume what Atari Explorer Online (a.k.a the only guys who got a lot of info about the game) said about it:
    It's a platformer, it was in development for a year before any coding started (in it's first year it was in the designing stages) and it was planned to be released sometime in the christmas of 1995.
    More info can be found here: http://www.cyberroach.com/jaguarcd/html/hosenose.htm
    and here: http://www.video-game-ephemera.com/027.htm
    19693610_881429282023088_9123736160632339643_o.jpg 19693610_881429282023088_9123736160632339643_o - copia.jpg jaguar34.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  11. KGRAMR

Little micro-bump for this, i should make one new thread about the unreleased games for the Jaguar + one for the Lynx since there's not many threads here that talk about them here. Here's some 2 more mag scans, but this time it mentions the other Batman game that was planned for the Jag besides Batman Forever, some Jaleco arcade conversions and i believe Ocean's The Shadow as well, not to mention Alone in the Dark + a list of the developers that signed to make games for it also. Both of the mag scans are from GameFan and the spanish magazine Hobby Consolas. The devs. list is from a flyer... 19679307_880907358741947_6732093112669648010_o.jpg 19990372_887131181452898_3316258763843760573_n.jpg jaguar2.jpg jaguar3.jpg jaguar1.jpg

12. KGRAMR

Ok so here's the last unreleased game i'll talk about on this thread and sadly, it's the one that got the most slack by some of the more negative members of the communit, T2KFREEKER's Metro Blaster:
    MBlasterBanner.png
    Metro Blaster was going to be a R-Type-esque shoot 'em up for the Atari Jaguar CD by T2KF's company YB Games and it was planned for a 2005-2006 release.
    (first mention of the game's existance: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/79313-metro-blaster-is-coming/)
    (secong metioning of the game: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/79648-new-in-development-games/)

It was going to feature hand-drawned sprite artwork, a kick-ass Nine Inch Nails-inspired OST and more, but when people started to attack him for his game and also the questioning of the game's development it was never heard again sadly. They also had some financial issues along the way, so to recruit more money for the game's development, YB Games opened a store to sell ítems related to the game and the Jaguar. This sadly didn't help the game's development:
    (Announcement of YB Games' store: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/91317-yb-games-store-please-help-raise-funds-for-metro-blaster/)
    (YB Games' defunct store: http://web.archive.org/web/20080804054705/http://www.cafepress.com/ybgames)

Here's some of the comments from T2KF himself about the negative part and based on some of the research i've done, it seems that it wasn't going to be YB Games' only planned project for the system
    (Eponasoft's FAQ: http://eponasoft.blogspot.com/p/faq.html):

"The project has done some things still. Einzelganger might still see the light of day. Sadly, it will be on the Turbografx CD/Turbo Duo if it does. I still have the artwork somewhere as well as the music Philip did. It was quite good actually. We wanted something that was very techno-ish with a twist of Nine Inch nails. Was some promising stuff actually. The venom in the Jaguar community killed it, like it did so many other projects over time. Just got tired of listening to the crap and being demoralized. I also was working on the Jaggy the Jaguar comic strip as well that was never finished because of "Hurt Feelings".

The soundtrack was composed and finished by Philip J. Wood, a talented musician who makes great use of the almost-extinct Jaytrax music tracker. He and the team wanted to go for a techno-ish OST and they succeded. This was Philip's third and last soundtrack he worked on for the Jaguar (He composed the music for Starcat Development's JagMIND: Bomb Squad and JagWorm, which was also never released due to a severe HDD crash that killed JW and many of the projects SD were working on unfortunately)...

Fortunately, the project was picked up by Eponasoft and it will be released for the Turbografx-16 CD/PC Engine CD. It may sound like a shameless plug-in but i beg you to support the creators and the composed by buying the game, once it's completed and released for the system.
    (mentioning of the game's resurrection:https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22774.0)

Metro Blaster's staff was comprised of: Jason Greener (art director), Philip Wood (composer), Chris Coxon (logo designer).

Here's some of the remaining stuff i've found of the Jaguar version of the game:
    Logo:
    post-7997-1151053942.jpg
    And a comic that was planned to be bundled with the game:
    post-7997-1151179553.jpg
    Here's gameplay of the resurrected TG16 CD/PC Engine CD version in it's early state (fun fact: did you know that Mysterious Song was planned for a Atari Jaguar/Jaguar CD release, along with 10 more games by Frozen Utopia? It's true!):

Syclopse likes this.
  13. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Peppy Member

So, is there anything more known about AITD on the Jaguar ? :O

14. KGRAMR

Sorry but, what game are you referring again :-/ ?

15. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Peppy Member

16. KGRAMR

Hmmm...i haven't found anything that talks about AITD on the Jaguar but i'll see what i can find :)