JagDoom 32x NTSC problem :(

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by Froggydarren, Jul 16, 2011.

1. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Suppose you could swap out the existing set with something a bit larger. If the 32x port is capable of using the additional ram without a hack that would be interesting and quite useful. Honestly the fact I was able to get this to work was mostly luck in that all I needed was a hex editor and logic - I can't do 68k ASM to save my life.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/619/

I'm assuming you mean this patch? It won't apply because it isn't the PAL rom. I'll see if I can get lucky a second time.

EDIT

http://www.mediafire.com/?e5d5dashbce508c

20 will load in Gens now. I haven't played through to be sure everything is accessible but from the readme it sounded like the map was modified to work with the engine rather than the other way around.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Works great on real hardware! Thanks a lot man!

3. Froggydarren

Froggydarren Rapidly Rising Member

lol wow man you seem to be a ninja when it comes to getting this work :) i was haveing problems with that patch last night and thought it was down to it being a PAL patch of sorts but i will now download this new updated version and hammer it abit later on :)

again massive thank you man :)

4. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

It all depends how the port allocates memory. I think there is a fair chance it could be programmed in a way that would allow it to use additional ram if it were present, it would be easiest to tell by hacking an emulator to give the 32X more RAM and see if the port could then load these maps that were too big for the amount of RAM available. If someone knows someone that could easily compile an emulator like Gens or Kega Fusion and make the change in the amount of memory available I think it would be interesting to see. For the right person, making these changes should be trivial.

5. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

You are very welcome, please let me know if there are any other problems with it as I don't have any way to test it on real hardware. I can't promise I can fix anything else as we've gotten lucky so far in that everything that needs to be done was a hex editor away. I could apply the same technique and fixes to third version of the rom if anyone wanted for all that it matters.

Agreed on all points. From the error message given I can't quite decide if it was an engine telling it it was unable to allocate the necessary memory due to hard coded engine limits or because the memory flat out didn't exist. Solving the latter may solve the former seeing as not all maps are created equal. If possible it would be entertaining to fit a 32x with higher density RAM if possible but finding something pin compatible that won't affect operation negatively would be a challenge on its own putting aside the possible monetary costs.

I'd be down to try if the rom was successfully modified and I was pointed in the right direction for the chips. First I'd need a few 27C322s for making an actual cartridge to use.

6. Froggydarren

from what iv seen online ect the 32x was a pretty decent add on hardware wise that was crippled by 256kb of ram so even a 1mb upgrade will be a massive step in getting really interesting homebrew ports ect up and running :)

tbh even with the 256kb of ram im still amazed at how well darxide looks and runs lol....

7. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I have enough trouble selling the majority of what I can and do produce, a 32x with 4x the RAM might be tempting to someone but I have no idea how long I'd have to hold onto it before I saw a return on my investment.

Commissions, OTOH....

8. AtariBorn

AtariBorn Active Member

Does anyone happen to have the latest version APE uploaded? The old link is dead and I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this working with an NTSC ROM. I've successfully exported the WAD file from the Pal ROM and imported said WAD file into my NTSC ROM but I don't have the >15 level select or the addendum patch working as it is for the PAL version as well.

9. Froggydarren

ill PM you with a link :)

10. Wesker

Wesker Spirited Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  11. Froggydarren

good thing i backed it up then lol....

12. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I can't seem to find the copy I made. I'd assume the above link is the same thing but if they replicated what I did it should be identical down to the checksum.

13. Froggydarren

ya man its the same file you uploaded works a treat....