JagDoom 32x NTSC problem :(

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by Froggydarren, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Froggydarren

Froggydarren Rapidly Rising Member

Hi guys thought id sign up and see if anyone could help with a problem im having with saxmans great little mod of doom 32x...im from the uk and just this week pick up a JAP super 32x just so i can use my everdrive to load every mega drive rom out there and since were stuck with crappy PAL problems (50hz,borders,slow gameplay) iv got a full US rom set and thay all work fine untill i try and load saxmans doom 32x rom as for some reason he used a PAL version which wont run at all on a NTSC 32x at all

so does any one know if a NTSC version of this rom exists? apart from darxide this is the only rom that im having problems with....both my mega cd and jap model 1 mega drive and region/video mode switchs but i dont really wont to add one to my 32x unless i have to lol

sorry for such a long request its just iv spent a week trying to get this to work lol...

heres my mega drive in a complete form lol...

[​IMG]

2. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

maybe you can use saxman's apps to rip the data out of his jagdoom rom and insert that data into an ntsc doom 32x rom?

3. Froggydarren

Really dont understand why the PAL doom32x was used? i had a scan through sonic retro forums (were saxman is based) and theres no explanation as to why the PAL version was used and also theres no mention of any probs using the rom on a NTSC 32x :( iv tryed his jagdoom wad software to see if i could make a working NTSC rom of this cool mod but i carnt seem to get it to boot so i think its abit beyond me lol...

and it seems every rom i find of this is also just the PAL rom with a (U) or a (F) in the title which makes the rom load but due to it being a PAL rom is unable to display graphics ect...

4. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

maybe cuz he lives in a PAL region?

5. Froggydarren

lol thats what i thought that could be a reason why but there must be a ntsc rom out there somewere? i also found out that the reason that the pal version could of been used was down to the jaguar version's wad file and that only the pal version's maps would work on the 32x due to memory restrictions....looks like the video mod is looking like the only way :(

6. Froggydarren

Just change the region flag in hex to (F) and it works :)

7. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

After months of trying to get thjs working, I now feel like a complete retard. :banghead:

8. Froggydarren

haha iv only just got daxcide working on my super 32x doing the same hex edit after 3 weeks trying to find a way to get it to load lol....real glad i did runs great on real hardware :)

9. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Well nearly a year later I finally get off my ass to hook my 32x up and try this out. I'm using a US model 1 Genesis with a US 32x. I cannot for the life of me get it to work.

My TV won't display PAL signals. If it's fed a PAL signal (like from a DC or PS/PS2 game) it displays a rolling black and white picture. When I patch the PAL Doom file, it doesn't display the usual "wrong system detected" lockout like it does on an unpatched ROM, instead it displays a rolling color picture.

What would cause that, and how could I fix it?

10. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

I know EXACTLY whats going on.

It's because the game is running the Genesis in 240p. When in PAL mode it can do this, but your TV can't handle this, so it rolls.

Well, NTSC Genesis systems can only handle 224p when set to 60Hz NTSC. So when it's fed 240p, guess what, now it's rolling in the VDP!!

Only way this can be fixed is if the game was patching the NTSC version rather than a PAL patch really.

11. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Looks like you nailed it. I was hoping to play this on real hardware but I guess I'm SOL. If anyone has a workaround please post!

12. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

SOL? Nope, just have to use the existing tools to extract the Jaguar's maps and insert them into the NTSC rom. I'd give it a shot but I don't have any 32mbit EPROMs.

EDIT:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?02ccekxnh9767u6

Pulled the WAD from the PAL JagDOOM conversion and inserted it into the NTSC rom, stupidly easy actually. Not familiar with the maps of either version myself so I'm assuming the conversion was successful as the size jumped to an even 4mb.

13. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

APE, you're a saint to lazy people everywhere.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if it worked or not. The existing patches made all 24 levels selectable from the start, and while the one you provided is the correct file size and loads correctly on an NTSC 32x the level selection only goes up to the regular 15 levels. The levels are probably there, just no way to access them.

14. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Well that's no good. I'll have to see if he made some sort of modification to the menus.

15. Froggydarren

great news on trying to get a NTSC version of this mod working tbh it didnt really work for me untill i clicked my super 32x has a 50/60hz mod so when i got the rolling screens i just switched my mega drive to PAL 50 hz on both the console and 32x and it worked (rather slow and with bloody borders i may add....)

id much rather have a fully working 60 hz version of this and from my homework im not the only one :)

will be keeping a eye on the out come of this and if i can try and have a chat with chilly willy (dude who made the mod) to see if he has any ideas on a NTSC version of lets face it one of the most impressive doom mods on any console :)

16. Froggydarren

yep game boots fine but only lets you pick from the stock 15 LVs :s but ill also see why this could be the case ;)

17. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

http://www.mediafire.com/?6hntdkumbrrdhlz

Should be fixed, needs testing. Works under Gens and I was able to access three levels that I tried to but its 2:45am and I'm not too keen on testing all 19 extra levels right now and playing through them to be sure they work.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  18. Froggydarren

downloading now and will report back my findings :)

19. Froggydarren

works great man massive thank you :) at last full doom full speed the way it should of been released all those years ago :)

gona patch this now with this patch as LV 20 is abit to big for the 32x to run and it also adds skull keys ect :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  20. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Has anyone ever considered adding more RAM into a 32X so that wouldn't be a problem? Not saying that it would be worth it.