jackdiy Sega DC Dreamcast optical drive simulation board GDEMU clone

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Jul 13, 2018 at 2:49 PM.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Dauntless Member

So it seems the inevitable has happened, a 3rd party clone of the GDEMu has been created and is selling for cheaper than the original official one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.jackdiy.cn/page143?product_id=107

Retail price is $100 US and seems to be identical to the official boards.

Apparently there is a Facebook group where a few people reviewed them and there were no issues, but as the group wasn't linked in the reddit post I have no idea.

Source for news: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/8x6gq6/gdemu_clone_price_increase/

P.S. You can see a list of their other clone products here: http://www.jackdiy.cn/

Traace and justice99 like this.
  2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Please don't promote clones of actively marketed devices. Those cloners stole the hard work of a community artisan and don't deserve our money.

One can be critical of the GDEMU buisiness model, but endorsing blatant theft of an active intellectual property, even more one that comes from a community artisan, is a complete lack of respect.

3. Anthony817

No disrespect meant, just reporting on all drive emulator news like I always do. Sorry if thread is blatantly against site rules, remove it admins if you think I am completely in the wrong here...

4. -=FamilyGuy=-

It's not against rules yet. This is just a demand out of respect for the hard work of community artisans.

And I'm not saying that you're endorsing the cloners, but the amount of links you share, along with the price, certainly is a kind of publicity; intentional or not.

You can go and read the last few pages of the GDEMU thread to see the debate around those clones.

5. Anthony817

No I get what you are saying though, I literally only found out about it right before I posted the thread so it is partially my fault for not checking the GDEMU thread first to see if there was any debate about them or not. I didn't even think people here knew about them or not yet because I guess I don't frequent that thread as much as I probably should.

6. trixta

trixta Member

delete, cba with getting in to an argument

7. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

From Denuan's point-of-view not so good, but is Denuan paying royalties to Sega? He must be aware of the fact that 90% of the people who buy a GDEmu from him probably don't original copies of the games they're playing.

I don't see what possible harm there is talking about a clone of a 'backup device'. Like many have said before, I'm just surprised it took the Chinese this long, from the sounds of things there was no protection whatsoever on the actual device.

If there's one thing to be happy about it's the fact that now it's finally accessible to just about anyone who wants one.

This quote below from a Youtube video I watched earlier today neatly sums it up:

"The Chinese attitude towards patents, copyrights, and trademarks makes a lot more sense when you understand they don't believe in the idea of individual genius. They know perfectly well that everyone who does something amazing was only able to do that amazing thing because they live in a nation that facilitated it."

Doomtrain and Anthony817 like this.
  8. Anthony817

Yeah, I am surprised it took this long too, but the rarity of them, price of admission and difference of Chinese Yuan compared to Dollar/Euro exchange rate made it really difficult for any Chinese to get his hands on one to reverse engineer in the first place.

9. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Do you think they had to wait this long before spotting an opening in sales? :)

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

This argument is invalid. ODE devices aren't piracy in themselves, you could use them legally. The GDEMU targets a 20 years old adandoned console made by a multinational corporation.

It's a niche device made by a community artisan, a device that breaks no law in most countries. To steal the work of an artisan, or to support those who do, is morally vain.

Now, I'm very critique of Deunan's busines model and his lack of will to adapt to the demand, but it doesn't justify the cloners.

GDEMU: Attack of the Clones

11. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

It is still an unlicensed product for a copyrighted game console that allows the pirated copies of games to be played. Sure, it may be legal but I don't see why SEGA couldn't have it taken down at any moment should they care about the Dreamcast again. Look at DS flash carts and a recent legal ruling in the UK.

About that "You can use them legally" thing: you can say that about many illegal things. You could purchase a vehicle that is not street legal and drive it down the road while obeying traffic laws. Sure, you're using it legally, but that doesn't change the fact that the car is not street legal.

So I guess it must be immoral to support Nintendo and Atari. Nintendo's first game console, the Color TV Game 6, was a Pong console. It was an unlicensed clone of Atari's Pong was it not? Oh and let's not forget that Atari's Pong is actually a clone of a game that came out on the Magnavox Odyssey 6 months prior. By the way, the US Navy made something similar to Pong on radar equipment in the late 1940s. That means the Tennis game on the Odyssey is technically a clone too, right?

Sure, it is wrong to clone things. But you have to remember something: these cloners don't care about that. This isn't some masterpiece of art. It's an electronic device. The games are the art, not some storage media interface. That's like saying a plastic Tupperware container is art.

Deunan did an excellent job with this from what I've seen and deserves a lot of credit and money. The fact remains that the Chinese were going to clone this and there was nothing you could do to stop them. He needs to ramp up production in order to meet the demand and find a way to lower costs. This will get more people to buy directly from him instead of the cloners.

JackDIY makes a good GDEMU clone and a proper SD2SNES that supports all of the firmwares from what I've been told by those who bought his stuff (the other products are garbage though from what I was told). Before saying that this is a clone, the SD2SNES is open-source and all of the files are on Github.

I don't see anyone bashing on discreet chip clone NES and SNES consoles that are nearly 100% compatible nor IBM PC clones.

I think those attacking others for buying the clones should be quiet and let people spend their money how they want to. This isn't J.G. Wentworth and this ain't your money. Stop arguing and act decent (not directed towards you FG, just the other dude in the GDEMU thread; stay awesome FG).

Just my two cents on this pointless debate.

Traace likes this.
  12. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

There's one on Taobao for $65 I think, but you have to buy with an agent at 10% comission which makes it $80 after shipping. People will buy both, some don't care about morals (this is piracy anyway so what do morals even matter?) of buying clones and some just do it because they can't afford the official. People will always buy cracked copyrighted materials; hardware or software. The creator will be fine just as every other company has been if they make a quality product dealing with this type of situation.

The only people I would be angry at are the scalpers in USA trying to flip these knockoffs for $150-200 on eBay right now.

Traace and Doomtrain like this.
  13. -=FamilyGuy=-

I just think we shouldn't encourage nor support cloners in any way, for moral reasons. The fact that it was inevitable doesn't make it right to support them. They aren't sticking it to the man, they're profiting of the hard work of an artisan.

If someone was to pretend to have written my programs I'd be pissed, even if they're free and open-source, I can't imagine if it was part of my income.

The forum is made of collectors and hobbyist, and as such we should respect their work. I'm not suggesting to censor the discussion of GDEMU clones (or USB GDRom eventually), but people should restrain from publicizing them or gloating about their existence.

14. Doomtrain

Doomtrain Active Member

Yet? What makes you think it'll ever be against the rules? Do you think Everdrive clones should be banned from discussion? Clone or not people should be free to buy and talk about it as they wish. If they want a clone that's on them. If they want to wait to buy a real GDEMU that's on them. I don't speak for you but what most people use ODE's like the GDEMU for is anything but moral.

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

Nothing. My point was that no rules were broken by that post, my English isn't perfect, yet.

And I don't suggest censoring discussions.

16. Nully

Nully Gutsy Member

And we will as we are the type of people who buy the officials, but most people aren't like us and just want to play Dreamcast games without burning a bunch of discs or their system has a dead laser and they just a quick and dirty solution to free games and weren't going to pay his price anyway.

17. -=FamilyGuy=-

I'm not denying any of that.

18. Anthony817

What I don't get is why they didn't even attempt to change it up or move the chips around and make it look different instead of making it a 1.1 reproduction lol.

19. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

whow i cant tell the differences. thats bad. since some (clever) people will try to sell them as genuine boards. inform of the clones is good and photos of these are ok. promote them or give links to any clone seller must be prohibited by any retro site its the least we can do to protect the hard work of a person that without him the gdemu wouldnt exist.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  20. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Can someone make a photo of a clone campared to the real thing?