Is this Soldiers of Fortune cart a review copy?

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by goldenband, Jun 2, 2013.

1. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

I have a copy of Soldiers of Fortune for Genesis with an unusual, B&W/grayscale text label. I bought it on Ebay a while back (with a case but no manual), and didn't realize until recently that the label wasn't normal for this game (since some other titles like Fire Shark have very minimalist labels).

Since a picture is worth a thousand words:

P1050464.jpg

It's glossy, the corners don't look homemade/home-cut, and the label itself has that weathered/well-aged look. But the image/text has the horizontal banding you see on (for example) an inkjet printer with a near-empty cartridge.

And here's the inside of the cart:

P1050462.jpg

P1050458.jpg

Looks normal to me, though it piqued my interest that it's a full-height PCB (most of the Genesis carts I've opened are half-height).

Is this a review copy, or something else?

2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

The actual PCB is just a normal one but I can't say if the label is a home made job or not. Is there any trace of an older label underneath the black & white one?

3. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

^Not that I could detect, no. And the label does look 20 years old to me -- it's not fully apparent in the picture (bigger version here), but it has the mottling/mild Actiplaque-ishness you see on old labels.

Review copy strikes me as the most likely scenario, but I'd think there would be others around.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013