Is there any way to back up and write to dreamcast vmus and ps1 memory cards?

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Wolf_, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Wolf_

Wolf_ Rising Member

I've been looking into backing up all of my save game files to my computer (and also the cloud in case my house explodes or something) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any ways to backup ps1 and dreamcast memory cards to pc and also to write data from pc to dreamcast and ps1 memory cards?

2. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

I believe you can use Free McBoot on a PS2 to backup saves from the memory card to a flash drive. You can buy them on eBay for about $8.

3. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

That's it for PS1, use a FreeMCBoot memcard to boot into uLaunchELF, then it will let you copy/paste saves from memcard to USB (and back from USB to memcard).

For the Dreamcast, you need to buy a Dreamcast SD adapter (it's a kind of SD reader that plugs into the serial port of the Dreamcast). Then you need to burn a Dreamshell disc. Once booted into Dreamshell, you'll have a browser that let you copy/paste saves from VMU to SD (and vice-versa).

Hope it'll help.

Nully likes this.
  4. dakidski

dakidski Retro Gaming Denmark

I have a memorycard for DC that has a serial or parallel cable for PC.

5. Wolf_

Wolf_ Rising Member

So just to make sure I've got this straight to back up/write ps1 saves I put my ps1 memory card into a ps2 with freemcboot and load ulaunchelf and I'm all set to back it up?

Also will Dreamshell read/write saves with the Gdemu or usb gdrom as well or just to the serial port sd card adapter?

6. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Peppy Member

dreamshell on dreamcast can full backup vmu to sd card, and/or write a full image or individual saves as well.

7. Wolf_

Wolf_ Rising Member

But can it back up your vmu to or write to your vmu from a usb gdrom or gdemu?