is there an odde for the original xbox? or a mod that adds usb access to the internal hdd

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by elzincho, Jan 7, 2019.

1. elzincho

elzincho Member

hey sorry if this is a dumb question, but my router at home causes issues with ftp. plus my laptop keeps fighting a crossover cable. so i was wondering if there is an odde for the original xbox.

i was also wondering if i could somehow split the pata connection and add a usb-pata connector so i could just connect a usb cable to my tsop xbox's 80gb hdd.

2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

There was an optical drive emulator in the original Xbox devkit, but I'm not aware of any third-party ones. My guess is that nobody ever bothered to develop one because it was so easy to run images off the HDD.

You could get IDE changeover switches back in the day, but they were generally designed to connect multiple devices to one host port, and you want the other way around.

3. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I've used a USB adapter with the hard drive, but it requires an unlocked hard drive and removing it from the system. Use the Xbox or your PC's power supply to power it. You can use Xplorer360 to browse the drive + copy files over. There isn't going to be any way reasonable way to "split" the connection though.

The adapter was similar to this:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-SATA-t...=item3d775d6368:g:aMkAAOSwuGhbyEZf:rk:11:pf:0

IIRC, you shouldn't need a crossover cable, as modern networking can sense the cables and switch as needed.

I'm with TriMesh that an ODDE was probably never made because it was so easy to run from the hard drive.

What program are you using for FTP? I've had good luck with C-XBox Tool.

4. lordnoc

lordnoc Active Member

Is there no file explorer for the XBOX that supports USB devices hooked to the controller ports with an adapter?

5. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

The xbmc dashboard supports windows smb shares. You could try that to transfer your files.
    Another thing you can try is setting your ftp client into passive mode or the other way around.
    A third option is trying to understand what your router doesn't like about ftp and fix it's settings.
    If it's an isp router, you can place an additional one on the lan side.
    People say dual nat isn't good but I never experienced any issues working like that when our isp replaced the modem with a modem / router.

6. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

XBMC and UnleashX's File Manager should read USB thumbdrives. I don't think it will work with a HDD as the MS memory units were only 8MB's and max size supported is 4GB.

7. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

wonder if you could use an Xk3y and a sata to ide adapter HMMMMMM

You would need the no dvd bios

8. Conte Zero

Conte Zero Rapidly Rising Member

From the HDD you don't run images but the extracted filestystem. This is the reason a few titles do not work and many others need some patching

Also the built in USB is only 1.1 so painfully slow.

This is an interesting idea but, considering the amount of games not working from HDD with patches (I think they are 7-8) buying the originals games (or burn dvd's) will costmuch less.

9. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

The nkpatcher softmod has an option to mount an iso file that appears to the system as if a physical disc is placed into the drive. This method fixes the issues with the games that don't run when they are extracted due to fatx file name restrictions, often used as copy protection mechanism. You just need to place the launcher xbe in the same folder as the iso and run it. The launcher can be found in the nkpatcher source package.

Xbmc and Unleashx can read and write usb memory devices, but you can't launch a game from them. As said before, they are only usb 1.1 and very slow.

americandad, Conte Zero and Traace like this.
  10. GoTeamScotch

GoTeamScotch Spirited Member

The easiest way to transfer data fast would be to pull out the HDD and connect it to a USB dock. Then use software like Xplorer360 to copy files over. I personally have had issues with 1) getting Xplorer360 to work and 2) having it choke on huge file transfers (thousands of files). If you're copying small files, consider getting a USB flash drive and using that. There's also burning discs.

If it were me, I'd just continue to investigate the issue with FTP copying. Did you make your own crossover cable? If so, maybe your connections need to be re-done. If it's a purchased crossover cable, perhaps it's faulty and a new one would be a good idea. Or, maybe your PC's network settings aren't set right. I have a laptop and use a crossover cable every now and then and it works just fine. I find it odd that your router is causing issues. LAN based FTP transfers are a pretty basic function that a router should be able to handle. It might be worth it to poke around in your router's config page. If you can describe the issues you're having with that, maybe we can guide you.

11. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

Re: your trouble getting FTP to work between your laptop and the original XBox, are you sure it's not your firewall preventing the data transfer? I've had a lot of trouble getting my FTP program (which might be FlashFX, I'm not at home to check, but it's one that's been around for years, as I'm sure I've only used one FTP program with the XBox) as a few times after Zone Alarm (the firewall) was officially updated, my PC couldn't see the XBox due to Zone Alarm. I managed to fix this a couple of times in Zone Alarm's settings, but one time after a Zone Alarm update I couldn't get the PC to see the XBox no matter what I did. Luckily I have an old laptop, so I just keep the laptop offline so it doesn't need a firewall, and I use that laptop to FPT to the XBox.

12. elzincho

elzincho Member

sorry everyone for not being around for a bit, i have been super busy with work. its not my laptop firewall, its my modem that is fucking with my ftp transfers. it gets half way then my router shuts off connections to everything (even my cell phone drops off wifi) my xbox has a good disk drive so ill just keep runing games off phisical disk for now anyways. feels like a bit of a waste to have an 80gb hdd inside of it with nothing on it but such is life i guess.

13. elzincho

elzincho Member

its the router from my isp, unfortunatly its pretty locked down. i have all security set to off and it still reboots whenever i get half way through an ftp transfer

14. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

As I already said before, xbmc can work with smb shares (the windows file sharing system) and you can place an additional router on the lan side of your isp router. In such case, your isp router won't see any of the traffic between your pc / laptop and the xbox.

15. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

Xbmc did in the days of yore, wire up a USB socket in your controller where the acessroy port is (they are hubs+controllers).

Format a small flash drive to fat32 and you're off at the races .

Anthony817 likes this.
  16. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah in my last Xbox that died last year I had wired a USB port to controller port 4 and t was fine. I kept the original port and piggybacked the USB on it and made it external.

17. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

I just bought an xbox to usb cable for 5$. Xbmc works well with it. Can be picky about the flashdrives though, there's a compatibility list on reddit.

But, like others have said, i'd look into fixing the ftp connection.
    Even locked down routers can be opened up, reflashed with other firmware or just by thoroughly going through it's settings.

And even if modifying the router isn't an option then you can always just temporarily use a direct xbox to pc ethernet cable connection, without any hardware in between. Would save you a lot of headache.