Is there a way to fix error 9

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by zerologic, Jun 20, 2013.

1. zerologic

zerologic Member

Hi i just gotten error 09 I was wonering is there a way to fix it or just buy a new xbox

2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

That means that the HDD parameters are wrong - it's quite an unusual error, and the only time I've ever seen it was if I replaced the HDD with some older drives that the BIOS didn't like.

If this just happened (I.E. not when you were actually modding the box) then I would suspect either a bad drive or bad drive wiring. If the box is modded (TSOP or modchip) then you can just replace the HDD and use something like Slayers or Hexen to rebuild the HDD. If it's stock, then the easiest approach is just to install a modchip.

3. zerologic

zerologic Member

Yea it's a stock xbox and One day the original cable was fucked so I just put in a replacement cable into it. Maybe that's it and where can I can get a modchip?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  4. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

If the rest of the box is stock (including the drive) then the first thing to try is replacing the cable again - also check to make sure that the power connectors (on both the HDD and the DVD drive) are properly seated. The only things I can think of that might cause that are a bad drive, bad cable or bad IDE controller. It might be worth checking the plugs to make sure that none of the pins are bent, though.

I'm sure some of the posters on here can supply you with a modchip - I could get you one, but shipping it from HK would probably end up costing more than the chip did.

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Even if the cable isn't in correctly error 9 can show up as well, so push it in really firmly!

You're best to rebuild the hard disk through xboxhdm (if you can) if not get a modchip and install it. Is the cable you replaced from another Xbox?

I come by this error a lot, so it's no biggie really and easily fixable.

If you can't be fucked, fucking around with xboxhdm, get a modchip from Bad_Ad84's thread in the marketplace.

6. zerologic

zerologic Member

No it came off a website that was selling computer parts at the time and i thought it would be the samething

Okay thanks for the help i'll buy a replacement ide cable. if not i'll just buy another one with a modchip this time around

7. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

I'm just trying to eliminate the issues, it could be the cable but might not be. Also check the DVD-ROM power cable as well, sometimes it can cause the Hard Disk to time out and cause weird issues.
    Reseat everything and see how that goes, if not, then modchip is usually the best solution. :)

8. zerologic

zerologic Member

Okay i'll check everything again..pushed in the cables firmly but so success :( I don't have a old enough of a PC that supports the ide cable sadly

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Best thing to do is get a modchip, and pop in another hard disk. Sorry about that bud, that's all I can say really since you've got rather limited choices without a IDE motherboard to repair the stock disk.

10. zerologic

zerologic Member

Ight man thanks for the help :)

11. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Make sure you're using a quality cable.

Saw this error often back in the day when people would try to use super cheap cables.

12. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

If it is the cable that is screwed up then get a high speed 80 pin cable. It will be better quality and should you mod the box with new dash and faster HDD, it'll help the games load faster than stock. I have that on my Xbox with a 100MB per second read rate HDD. Games load rather fast from it.