Is it possible to hack a PS1 to read iso from sd card

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by littlezump, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Yeah, I don't think it will be very cheap. Flashcarts such as Everdrives aren't cheap for other consoles either.

2. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

In which case my interest will be about 1/3

3. Mord.Fustang

Not to mention, running from CDs = flawless. I expect that there will be many games even when it's released that won't run or have issues.

4. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

That's why it's still in beta, it needs to be tested the heck out to find issues that are common to PS-IO that can be fixed. If there are issues specific to a game or 2, those may need to be hacked instead of fixing PS-IO.

FYI I paid $140 AUD for the beta copy (with shipping and US$ conversion, about $110 USD) since I am one of the eligible beta tester. A few Everdrive is more expensive than this but PS-IO is a lot cheaper than a few extremely rare PSX games.

I realize modchip is much cheaper but mechanical drive won't last forever. I can imagine 25 years from now when replacement working drive is fetching over $100, PS-IO would be better in the end. No one knows if CD-R will still be made in the future that far ahead. No one makes 8-tracks, no one makes 5.25" floppy disks, no one makes BETAMAX tapes, and a whole bunch of record-able media anymore. I can barely find blank audio cassette today and they costs a lot more single than when a 10-pack used to go for back in 80's Sooner or later CD-R will become scare then burning PSX CD would be expensive.

Not a shameless promoting, just making you think about future. If you still want to stick with $5 modchip and $0.10 CD-R that's fine. I just want the SD card solution so I don't need to keep a stack of 100 CD-Rs or keep a few working PSX for when one's optic system burns out.

5. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

The lifespan and number of optical drive components and CD-Rs will last us for a VERY long time. But using a SD memory card certainly sounds appealing as long as compatibility is high. I'd like to get one when it comes out.

6. Shad0w

Shad0w Member

I don't think you understand just how much effort has gone into this device...

7. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

I know it would have taken a considerable amount of effort and time over the last years for sure. If it were released 10 years ago it would have been worth a tidy sum. Now, PS1 games are played on their later models, also PS1 games are not as fun to play as cartridge games as they went more for visual than gameplay, and now the visuals are poor in comparisons to the later consoles that also go for visuals above gameplay. So, it isn't what something is deemed to be worth, but what someone is prepared to pay in 2015 for a 15 year old system with dated games - to me £20.

nilats likes this.
  8. proarturs

proarturs The force is with me

I agree with you, but I don't think CD's will disappear as quick as VHS or another outdated format.

If there is enough demand, then the Chinese sellers will still produce the replacement lasers.
    I mean you can easily find PS1, PS2, PS3 or even PS4 lasers from Ebay.
    They always have stock, probably because they continue to manufacture them.

9. djemotion

djemotion Spirited Member

Dwmn and I just sold my see through purple ps1 with its nice purple spyro
    stitched wallet as well lol

10. Shad0w

Shad0w Member

They are second hand laser mechanisms ripped out of existing consoles.
    They are not 'brand new' from Sony and deemed 'Genuine'. They are poor quality, un-clean and un-calibrated decks.
    No Chinese manufacturer in the right mind would waste their companies income to redesign from scratch the entire assembly, including the laser diode and optical block assembly. They just would not see a market for such a thing, and even so, you would be paying just below the price of PSIO for one, since it is all custom made, with the most expensive part most likely being the laser diode in itself.

11. Mord.Fustang

If they're ripped out of existing consoles, then wouldn't that make them the same quality as Sony's and also make them genuine?

12. Shad0w

Shad0w Member

No, because they are not brand new from Sony's factory. How can they be the same quality and have genuine parts if Sony doesn't approve them. As far as I know, the Chinese guys change the spindle motor and replace the hub. However, when they replace the hub, it is poorly made, so it doesn't even spin the disc in alignment (a near perfect rotational circle with minimal wobble). The motor they also use has a shorter centre spindle, so the hub is riding at a different height which means that the servo controller keeps trying to re-calibrate until eventually, it times out. It happens on quite a lot of those Chinese decks.

13. proarturs

proarturs The force is with me

I can say that I have replaced a few lasers for the PS1 and PS2. Bought the cheapest ones available from ebay. Never had a problem.

Are PS1's and PS2's so plentiful in China, that they can just part them out ? In that case, why aren't they selling motherboards, PSU's and other parts?

14. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Gutsy Member

While the PS-IO team have clearly put in a lot of time and effort on this and have produced something amazing, they lack marketing skill. All points considered, 146AUD is too much. The console is 20 years old! Maybe 10 years ago, as previously mentioned, this would have been more realistic. Maybe £50 (100AUD). It will outlast any CD-Rom, but by then the psx motherboard will have crapped out. It will be interesting to see how much response this new device receives.

15. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I haven't followed PSIO much since what's his face "quit" and stormed off but I barely see anyone talking about it anywhere except their own forums. I'm not going to drop $146AUD for something like this when I can buy something like 20 PS1s for that. Granted I did spend good money on a Rhea and a GDEMU but the GDEMU has advantages (Shenmue 2 99 minute rip for one) and the Rhea...well it's a convenience thing I suppose. Put a LCD on it and I'd use it more.

16. bacteria

bacteria I am the Bacman

Indeed, if it isn't priced at what people are prepared to pay and also at a price of course that will make profit, then it's a white elephant and will have wasted the developers their investment for nothing, if people aren't interested enough to buy one. It's the absolute basics in sales and marketing - supply and demand.

Taijigamer2 likes this.