Is it possible to disable anti-aliasing in N64 games via GameShark cheats?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by mdmx, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

Wow! Awesome!

Thank you

2. Labbeast

Labbeast Newly Registered

16:9 out of N64? Are you kidding me? This is awesome!!!!
    Does it work with all games?

3. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

It´s anamorphic widescreen. It's the same with the Dreamcast that has a thread going on this same forum.
    The game is still outputing a resolution of 4:3 but when you use a 16:9 tv with streching enabled to fill all the horizontal area you won't get the "short and far" characters, you get the correct aspect ratio.

If I'm not mistaken you sacrifice some resolution to be able to do it, since you are inserting more data into the same area. Or you loose some vertical resolution to do it.

4. Labbeast

Labbeast Newly Registered

Gotcha. Does it work with all games?
    This seems to be a nice way to play fullscreen on 16:9 TV.

5. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

It's amazing they even tried AA on such old technology. On computers at least it's one of those options that can really impact performance (maybe not so much on the latest and greatest cards, but think 5 years ago). Has anyone seen any performance gains with this turned off? There's lots of N64 games that could use a bit of a performance boost.

6. Wachenroder

Wachenroder Member

It seems to give some games more stability. I say seems because i dont have any hard numbers, only a few minutes of observation after testing almost 3 dozen games.

this is such an amazing fix. thank you so much gentleman for this contribution,

edit

i'm not well versed in this sort of thing but why does it have to z64 format?

will other formats not work?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  7. bobster

bobster Active Member

I'm sorry if this was already in the thread but did anyone find the AA Gameshark settings for Super Mario 64 NTSC? All I found were PAL and JP. My girlfriend and I are playing through it now. Thanks!

8. Jorgasms

Jorgasms Newly Registered

Smash 64 (USA)
    8103D55C 0000
    8103D55E 0212
    8103D58C 0000
    8103D58C 0212

I didn't test it but it was a super easy port. Might be possible.

9. hyperterminal

hyperterminal Member

Your last line should be 8103D58E 0212. Apart from that the code is correct and I can confirm it working on my N64 /w EverDrive 64.

10. Jorgasms

Jorgasms Newly Registered

Yeah that's my bad. I'll just stick with the rom patching.

Have you guys considered using activators/rom patching these instead? in several games, the RAM address you're writing to isn't always just the value you're trying to overwrite. In smash, there are two other values at 8003D55C the are written on boot. I haven't looked into the effect of changing those specificially but I do know that other Smash GS codes have lead to unintentional bugs before (like falling through the stage on FD).

This is great work though. Love what you guys are doing

11. eb1560

eb1560 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I tested out Goldeneye by disabling AA (GS coded ‘3216’), and activating the Display Speed feature to see any improvement in performance. This other forum (here) shed some light on what the Display Speed stats could mean.

PCI TV card captures with AA on (1st) and AA off (2nd) . Sitting still without moving in Dam, observed stats a minute after mission start (moving truck is already gone).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The framerate does appear to increase with AA disabled. It seems that Hz equates to framerate, and # frames (including bracketed number) is how many frames short (dropped) of the stated framerate? The other stats (utz, rsp, tex) jump around quite a lot, so I kept track of their % ranges and tentative modal (often ~%).

Framerate: (please correct me if I misinterpreted fps numbers)
    [AA on] Constantly at 15 Hz 4 frames (11 fps), sometimes 20 Hz 3 frames [4] briefly appears (16 fps)
    [AA off] Constantly at 20 Hz 3 frames (17 fps), sometimes 20 Hz 3 frames [4] briefly appears (16 fps)

utz: Lower % with AA off
    [AA on]: 67% to 83% (often ~75%)
    [AA off] 65% to 80% (often ~67%)

rsp: Higher % with AA off
    [AA on]: 8% to 22% (often ~18%)
    [AA off] 13% to 26% (often ~22%)

tex: No notable difference, hovering at 7 to 9%. Either AA or Dam has little influence on tex stat?
    [AA on] 6 to 10%
    [AA off] 6 to 10%

If I recall correctly, enabling AA does require more memory bandwidth to be used. Out of curiosity I also did probe RDRAM’s Busdata[3] (most active bit apparently) through the jumperpak with an o’scope (Vref, falling edge). When AA is deactivated, there is a fluctuating 5% to 13% less RDRAM bus traffic according to the frequency counter on the scope.

Poregon likes this.
  12. eb1560

eb1560 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

Brief test on Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, you don’t really need a GS to toggle AA - it has a powerful in-game accessible debug mode (using v1.2). Aside from toggling AA, I also halved the max fog setting from stock 200 to 100 (seems to lower max draw distance?) – it seems that just disabling AA has a rather modest impact in this level or game. This is Dash standing still at the start of the Echo Base mission.

[AA on]: 14 fps
    [AA off]: 14 - 16 fps (jumps around)
    [AA off + ½ max fog]: 20 - 22 fps (jumps around)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Shugo

Shugo Newly Registered

Hey, all. I made a video showing a few games with the filter on and off, using Poregon's ED64 patches. It was intended to show someone else specifically, but I figured I could contribute it here too in case anyone wants a handy video example to show people.

My capture card isn't the greatest, but the difference is still clearly visible.

14. Visor4

Visor4 Newly Registered

Hi Poregon, any word as to when this will come back up?

I see that you've indicated "only AA is disabled", which I'm assuming means that the dithering filter will remain enabled, which is good news for me. :)

I'm a little confused about your .z64-only disclaimer. Your old set of patches worked just fine with .n64 files, and since smokemonster's Everdrive 64 game packs use the .n64 extension then I would prefer to still use that container. If I have to switch, then I guess it's not too big a deal as I can use a program like File Renamer Basic to take care of things.

Cheers,
    Visor

15. Jamesv833

Jamesv833 Newly Registered

It seems to have worked for me. I used the aps patches on poregons page and I used smokemonsters rom set. I verified it working by loading quake and toggling filter on and off and it's the same.(it made a very noticeable difference before I patched)

16. Try4ce

Try4ce Member

Coury and I from My Life in Gaming are looking to soon produce our short little episode on this topic. I would really like for there to be good organized resources to direct people to before the episode is done. Is anyone working on it? I know there's that Poregon site for the patches, but I'd also like a good list of GameShark codes to be available as well. If needed, it would be worth delaying the episode a little bit so that the resources would be available when it releases.

Just now seeing this about the widescreen codes too. Is it worth looking into more? I LOVE GoldenEye's built-in widescreen mode. But I'm skeptical about other games, because I would imagine there's a lot of pop-in pop-out at the edges (forcing GameCube to widescreen tends to do this).

Any experts here who would be good consultants for fact-checking our script? We've already got it mostly written.

MrMario2011 and bobster like this.
  17. Moiboi

Moiboi Site Supporter 2015

The extensions can be misleading, typically a z64 file is big endian while an n64 file is little endian (and v64 is byteswapped), but there are lots of roms floating around that don't follow these "rules". I think people liked renaming their z64/v64 files to n64 as it seemed like a more appropriate extension for N64 roms. Anyway unless your patcher is endian aware, patches have to be applied to a rom in the same format as the one the patch was created from.

18. Poregon

Poregon Member

I have been very busy lately. I am hoping to have time to spare this weekend.

I have been upgrading the site and will have a repository of all the Gameshark codes online soon.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  19. saturnu

saturnu Spirited Member

smoke monster likes this.
  20. smoke monster

smoke monster Rapidly Rising Member

That is impressive. I'd love to see this in action.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016