Is it possible to disable anti-aliasing in N64 games via GameShark cheats?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by mdmx, Feb 4, 2016.

1. dushbadge

dushbadge Member

The OOT 1.0 code has the following modes:

1) Dithering Filter off
    2) 16-bit pixel size
    3) Gamma Dither Enabled
    4) DIVOT enabled
    5) Aliasing off, just Resamp

The OOT 1.1 code has the following modes:

1) Dithering Filter off
    2) 16-bit pixel size
    3) Gamma dither disabled
    4) DIVOT disabled

5) Aliasing off, just resamp

Generally I have seen that only aliasing and dithering are usually altered and nothing else, so I do not really understand the rationale behind the two different codes (they both carry the same original search values and addresses).

However,

Personally I have not tested this enough on my end. You never know, maybe removing Gamma Dither where applicable could have a positive effect. DIVOT not so much because I think it only has an effect when there is aliasing in place.

As I understand, Gamma Dither can add noise to pixels so it may be worth a shot to test with and without.

If you would like to test it yourself, just modify your existing codes as follows (to remove Gamma Dither):

(example address assuming top is 0000 and bottom is 2nd half):
    8104535C XXXX
    8104535E XAZY

Leave X as is, change Y to 2 as shown (i.e, if you see 6, replace it with 2).

Additionally, If you want to remove DIVOT, wherever you see Z, change it to 0 as shown (otherwise keep it as is).

For A in the example above, I have added this because there is another aliasing mode called No Resampling or Aliasing. Normally this is set to 2 as you've seen in many codes to just make it resampling but according to earlier posts, setting this to 3 (which is no aa/resamp) could have an even greater effect on the visuals.

But from my experience, I have had no luck. Mario 64 and Zelda for me just show 3 vertical viewports that are a quarter wide each. Someone said it works for Conkers, Banjo and Perfect dark so it could just be select games possibly.

Also,

Some codes end with E at the end and they have yet another mode called Gamma which is enabled. If you see this and would like to remove Gamma Dither, do not set Y to 2. Set it to A to keep Gamma on but disable Gamma Dither.

But again, Gamma is also something worth additionally testing on/off as well. Ultimately if you want Resampling with no filters, just using 3202 is fine (or 3203 if a game uses 32-bit pixel size but I don't know which ones do that).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

Awesome, thanks for the detailed breakdown. I'm understanding it a bit better. Lately I've been busy finding codes to remove dither and enable 16:9 aspect ratio for PS1 games, but even though I find the N64 stuff a bit more complicated, I definitely want to know what the codes do just how you explained.

I will try what you recommended to see what differences I notice. When I initially tried both codes on OOT v1.0, the only difference I noted was one looked brighter and it made me think of something that has to do with Gamma.

Thanks!

3. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

@dushbadge
    Do you know if the code for Mischief Makers NTSC U works for v1.1?
    I tried it but I don't see a difference. I'm guessing it needs different code.

4. dushbadge

dushbadge Member

That won't work as they are different. Use this instead.

Mischief Makers (USA) (Rev A)
    Keycode: Mario World 64 & Others

810EA57C 0000
    810EA57E 3212
    810EA5AC 0000
    810EA5AE 3212

5. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

I tried that code. I honestly don't see any difference and perhaps Mischief Makers doesn't benefit from the code?

Thanks!

6. dushbadge

dushbadge Member

Personally I didn't see much of a difference either when I tested it.

7. demilich

demilich Spirited Member

@dushbadge

Could you share a disable dithering code for
    Diddy Kong Racing NTSC U V1.1?

I was looking in this thread and didn't find one. I thought I had seen it before.

Thanks!

8. dushbadge

dushbadge Member

I use a code for that but I guess I forgot to add it.

Diddy Kong Racing (USA) (V1.1)
    Keycode: Diddy, 1080, Banjo, Griffey

DE000400 0000
    F1025000 1000
    F1025002 0002
    F105FB1C 1000
    F105FB1E 0004

810E4DAC 0000
    810E4DAE 3216
    810E4DDC 0000
    810E4DDE 3216