Is it possible to disable anti-aliasing in N64 games via GameShark cheats?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by mdmx, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Fandangos

Fandangos <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

When I first started collection retro games, the angry video game nerd - angry nintendo nerd back then, was the reason behind it. After so many years, so many college classes and so many jobs it was left aside.
    The RGB series made me turn on my old PVM, give life to my x-rgb mini that was stored away.

This will sound very silly and dumb of me but: thank you for creating this show, it makes me feel good after a shit day of work. :)

2. saturnu

saturnu Spirited Member

both patches seems to be ok, you can ignore what's happening on 256 - the offsets should be found around line 110.

btw. here is the de-blur bitstream for tims old RGB-DAC, maybe the pinout needs to be altered for the used cpld package.
    https://github.com/mrehkopf/n64rgb

dreimer on krikzz ed64 forum posted a more complete list including the pal ports, that are failing atm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
  3. KiSM

KiSM Newly Registered

The five extra lines of verbose output on the NTSC rom aren't relevant?

Here is a comparison using my Consumer Trinitron (that can handle NTSC)
    NTSC Patched | PAL Patched

That list holds up though regardless since the patcher doesn't fail when patching the MM PAL rom and manages to produce a modified rom of sorts.

4. Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer Active Member

Browsing the sheet, it looks like most codes are for jp or pal versions, what's up with that?

I need usa codes!

5. Timstuff

Timstuff Rising Member

I picked up a Game Shark 3.3 today to play around with these AA off codes, and was initially having problems with trying to get the thing to turn on. I discovered that the reason the games weren't loading was because the carts don't like being pushed down all the way into the Gameshark, and they need a few milimeters of gap between the game cart and the GS in order to be recognized. Just throwing this little discovery out there in case anyone else picks up a GS for this, and are having the same issue.

So far I've gotten to try Smash Bros. and Banjo Kazooie with the AA off codes. They both look great and I look forward to trying more of my library with this technique. Until someone comes out with a video deconvoluter chip for RGB, this is the next best thing.

*EDIT* It might also be caused by the contacts being dirty. Cleaning the top slot on my GS with an N64 cleaning kit fixed the problem completely.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  6. Try4ce

Try4ce Member

Thank you very much for saying so! :) It's a lot of work, but we love doing it!

7. xdaniel

xdaniel Robust Member

Nice work on the video, as well as the rest of the RGB series! (Actually been watching them even before this thread here; the sync episode especially was pretty enlightening, tho I still don't have the different kinds memorized :))

Looking over the list, it seems that the majority of codes were made by mdmx, followed by myself and a few others. And while I obviously can only speak for myself - I am from a PAL country (Germany) so most of the games I own are PAL, with some US and JPN games in between - I'd assume that mdmx is in a similar situation as I am, mostly owning PAL games.

I could theoretically try and create more US codes for games I don't own by using ROMs and the emulator method, but I wouldn't be able to test these (no 64drive, ED64, etc) and I'm not necessarily comfortable with throwing out codes that might not work properly.

8. Timstuff

Timstuff Rising Member

I'm sure there's plenty of people here who'd be happy to help test! I've got a Gameshark and a decent number of popular US N64 games.

9. saturnu

saturnu Spirited Member

uu64aap v0.4.0 update

This is just something you can experiment with and have some fun. ^^
    I don't think it's very useful nor working with a lot of games.

Try patching Mario 64 -> go through the door of the castle and look at the carpet or the middle stairs.
    (compare the -df version with the -kdfl version) ^^

if you are unsure add the -v flag to check, if videolist entries are found and altered. :D

u64aap043.zip
    https://a.pomf.cat/gwahdm.zip

v042.PNG

north: original
    south: videolist patch

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
    KiSM and Poregon like this.
  10. Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer Active Member

Anyone mind if I put in requests for some USA codes?

Super Mario 64
    Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire
    Castlevania 64
    Star Wars - Rogue Squadron
    Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark

11. Timstuff

Timstuff Rising Member

I'd also like to request the above codes, as well as

Star Fox 64 V1.0 (USA)
    Jet Force Gemini (USA)
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time V1.0 (USA)
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask V1.0 (USA)
    F-Zero X (USA)
    Banjo Tooie V1.0 (USA)
    Donkey Kong 64 V1.0

If anyone has any codes they want tested, if I have the cart I'll be happy to give it a try.

It'd also be great if we could put together a wiki article with all of the confirmed AA off codes. It'd be really helpful to people new to this thread who want to check for a code before they request it.

12. MRKane05

MRKane05 Member

Long time lurker, first time poster, and a little late to the party.

Really impressed with what you've done here! While I've failed at getting Gauntlet Legends to even run on the emulator (so no codes) I'd like to ask if any of us can add to the spreadsheet or if it'd be preferred that we pass any GS codes we figure out through some members in particular?

13. xdaniel

xdaniel Robust Member

Star Fox 64 (US v1.0) I had already posted codes for, and while RetroRGB has a spreadsheet with the codes posted here so far, I'd also kinda favor a more freely editable wiki page or something like that.

Timstuff likes this.
  14. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

I'm working on doing something Wiki-style, but that'll take awhile. For now, I can grant access to anyone who'd like to edit the spreadsheet. If you (or anyone else) is interested, PM me your email address and I'll send you an edit invite.

Timstuff likes this.
  15. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

16. Poregon

Poregon Member

I have also been working on something similar. I am still about a week away, relying on some free time this week.

17. retrorgb

retrorgb Spirited Member

Oh, awesome. I'll make sure to keep my links updated to whatever you guys decide to use.

18. MRKane05

MRKane05 Member

So - being a keen Gauntlet fan, and always failing to figure out just what's happening on screen, my first target was the PAL version (as I've a PAL N64) but I was surprised to find that the A4400000 address (mirrored at: 800A7A6C & 800A7A9C) was:
    00 00 32 02

So if I'm reading this correctly this game has already turned off the hardware filtering that would usually be happening on the N64? I spent a bit of time mucking around it, but aside from a messed up screen couldn't get much of a difference which lead me to the next idea: if we can turn it off...can we turn it on? Shouldn't it be a case of changing the above to:
    00 01 30 02

I'm wondering if there's something more going on here?

EDIT: I forgot to add that Gauntlet also needs some enable codes...not sure which one is the critical one however as I'm on an everdrive:

EE000000 0000 Enable Code (Must Be On) (GS 3.20 Or Higher Needed!)
    DD000000 0000
    CC000000 0000 If you have a GS 3.0 you can't use this code, instead every
    time you start the game turn the Code Generator ON and all should be fine.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  19. Poregon

Poregon Member

Correct.

Those are codes which disable the expansion pak. Not familiar enough with the ED's GS implementation to know if these will take effect. You should only need one of these codes, as they all disable the expansion pak, but they all do it in a different way.

20. saturnu

saturnu Spirited Member

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    smoke monster likes this.