Introducing the "GameBox" a portable emulation machine raspberry based.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by karsten, Jun 23, 2017.

1. famicomboy

famicomboy Active Member

rso likes this.
  2. rso

rso °

That turned out really great. Especially the audio/usb port. DIY FTW!

Where did you get the screen? I'm working on an old portable 4:3 TV, and almost everything I can find these days is 16:9, which only kinda-sorta works (if put behind an overlay). Here's hoping your source might have something that fits for me.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  3. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

What size is the tv space? I'm building a portable retropie setup with a 4:3 iPad LCD in a case that looks like it's an old console TV. I picked up the iPad with cracked digitizer for $15 and got a conversion board for $40 to handle the HDMI to eDP that the screen uses.

4. rso

rso °

Visible area is 13x10cm, plus ~2cm on each side of the case to hide any excess screen/pcb in.
    Salvaging a screen is something I didn't think of. Good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep my eyes peeled - one of those shitty china tablets might work...

5. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Yeah, once you open it up and get the part number for the LCD you should be able to find a driver board for it on eBay or AliExpress for pretty cheap.

6. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

I'd be a little cautious of spending too much on a device to salvage the LCD from.... I actually found it very hard to find an LCD that had a compatible driver board on ebay. It'd be worth finding a device, then googling the device for information first before buying. I personally ended up using a widescreen LCD. It wouldn't fit in a Gameboy shell, but I made my own case anyway. [​IMG]

7. rso

rso °

I shopped around for an hour yesterday, and saw that almost every tablet now comes with a 16:9 display anyways. Didn't used to be that way only 2-3 years back I think? So I would have to take my chances and buy used... Eh, I could just live with a bezel.

re: your photo - Is that a teeny tiny table, or are you stretching the notion of "portable" to the limit? ;)

8. AtomizerZero

Lol. It fits comfortably in your hands. I made it so that the back has a place for your fingers to rest in, and for the L1 L2 R1 R2 buttons. Makes it feel a lot smaller when using it. It's portable in the same sense that the Switch is portable and the Game Gear is portable lol. Might not fit in your pocket but it will fit in your bag..

Battery lasts for around 6 hours. Has speakers and headphone socket. Using raspberry pi 3. It's perfect.. for me, anyway.

9. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Awesome. Very nice. I'm just waiting on Kite to do another release of his SAIO board and I'm going to do my own DMG mod using a Pi Zero.
    I've already got a Pi3 hooked up to the TV so I can't wait to go mobile.

I've got all the parts ready apart from the glass screen cover and the battery and I can't wait to get started. Depending on Kite's policy on ordering boards, I'm tempted to build more than one.

10. AtomizerZero

(checks kickstarter page)

HA!