Interview with the NES case designer

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Shadowlayer, Feb 1, 2006.

1. ccovell

ccovell Resolute Member

Oldskool white-gold-and-dark-red Famicom is very ugly. As boxy as the original NES was, it was a huge step above the design of the Fami.

Did you know there was a huge range of consumer products made in the early 80s with the same design styling as the Fami? I've seen lots of TVs, mixers, and so on over here with the ugly red, brown, & white look to them.

2. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

The SMS beats the saturn in terms of ugliness. The sausage-like shape ombined with the crappy 80s-like control scheme sucks, and lets not forget the pause button...

The Saturn MKII was fairly good, not as classy as a Genesis2+SegaCD2 but better than the original Saturn or the ugliest console ever released by SEGA, the MarkIII:evil:

And yeah, the xbox is american bad taste in its finest. The green "jewel" is the cherry on top of that disaster...

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  3. Oh wow, I really like the Master System. And I don't know what kind of sausage you eat, man.

On the other hand, I think the Genesis/Sega CD 2 combo is pretty awful looking, especially compared to the Genesis/Sega CD 1 combo, which is one of my favorites.

I also disagree strongly with Blur about the Coleco, that's another one of my favorites (though I like even more the Coleco mod someone did a couple years ago where they removed the controller bays creating a compact.little square console, but still with that cool silver frontpiece).

Intellivision II, though, yeah, that thing is horrible. Not only looks ugly, it feels like cheap crap, too. The original Intelly is quite nice to look at, though the idea of plugging the games into the side like that was horrible.

My vote for worst design would have to go to the Jaguar. While I agree that it looks like a toilet, that's actually not my main problem with it, I have no real complaint with it's general shap, except maybe that it's too flat. What I think is really wrong with its design is all the lame beveling and plastic runners and shit along the sides and in the front which make it feel sheaper than it ought to, add all sorts of sharp edges and corners and actually make it look worse in my opinion than if they had gone with a more minimalist design. I think it really must have been designed by amateurs or even by the same bean-counters that revised the internals at the last minute, too. The look is helped in some way by adding the Jag CD on top, but at the same time that brings problems of its own.

...word is bondage...

4. blackzc

blackzc Spirited Member

I watched a episod* of icons on G4 and they were interviewing one of the NES designers(not sure if it was this one) but he was saying the original US design for the US NES (they showed pics and it was really nice looking) was a sleek black revo sized top loder with a keyboard.

Nintendo said no and they came up with the design they have now in about an hour, anyone know anything about this?

I think the NES was lots better looking than the famicom.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
    Keiji Dragon likes this.
  5. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

I was drunk at the time so i just compared it with anything that came to my mind.

The other options were a bus and a dick, which you prefer?:110:

And the Genesis+SCD MKI combo was cooler indeed, but the MKII one was more "harmonic" in the desing sense.

6. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

And with the CD drive add-on it becomes Mr Toilet No. 1! :D

7. I feel I should be out to point this out, but 'sausage' and 'dick' are two words you should never use in the same sentence as comparisons. 'Bus' and 'dick' are valid, because men react favorably to comparisons of size, and 'bus' and 'sausage' are fine as well, because what purveyor of fine deceased muscle fiber would not like to eat sausage as large as a bus (bacon would be better though). However, edibles and tubular body parts should never occupy the same comparison.