Interplay IP Sales.

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by kennypecheur, Sep 8, 2016.

1. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Got a spare million dollars, then?

2. kennypecheur

kennypecheur Site Supporter 2016

You are right, music can still be under creator licence.

10k for a minor game ? wow, this is pretty big !

3. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

The more I think about it the more this seems unlikely to be a liquidation of assets in the same effect as say the recent Climax liquidation. Doubting any protos are going to be coming from this, although I guess you never know.

4. Alexander Mejia

Alexander Mejia Currently working at Volition on Agents of Mayhem

I'm finding from my sources that it's an all or nothing sale. It will not be pieced up.

MrMario2011 likes this.
  5. kennypecheur

Assembler got it contact with them, so he may have more informations about it.

Selling the IPs as a lot is less interesting for the seller, and less interesting for small dev studios.

6. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I emailed the guy that's handling this and have yet to hear back. Maybe they can sniff out who is an actual studio with excess funds and who is just some guy wanting protos.

I'm not expecting anything will be for sale for a price that anyone here can afford.

7. kennypecheur

Well, I think that contacting them is definetly not a way to get protos, as buying an Ip isn't about buying hardware or protos. But yes, I think that the company handling the deals will probably verify the origin and all the people contacting them, in order to filter the offers.

8. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Firstly, IP is NOT prototypes. It is the rights to the game... and may very well be nothing more. Copyright and maybe trademarks. A publisher / developer wouldn't give a damn about betas - they'd possibly be more interested in source code and assets.

Secondly, it's unlikely that a studio would purchase IP - more likely a publisher would purchase it. However yes, it is quite possible they would want credentials. Contacting them from a Hotmail / Gmail / Yahoo address would probably be a bad start. Asking about prototypes would be even worse.

9. kennypecheur

Yes retro, all is about the rights of the game, as some of us already said. About who can buy IPs, I agree that publisher can be most interested, but some studios also like to buy IPs, like Double Fine for example. If I remember right, they have bought some Ips after THQ closure.

Asking about prototype is definetly not a good option. I was more thinking about waiting for Interplay officices clearance (if they do one).

10. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

They are only selling them in one lot. Most likely the less popular titles will be in limbo forever.

You'd need to negotiate with whoever bought them, which will probably be a big company (no chance).

11. kennypecheur

Thanks for your feedback. This confirm @Alexander Mejia says. And yes, the Earthworm Jim or MDK IPs are famous enought to attract big companies.

12. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

No one will waste a penny making a title for those ips.

What is for sale is a bunch of IPS the company has itself deemed worthless, it's basically a firesale of no name
    1990's titles, and a few neglected nostalgia titles only worthy of xbox live games.

Put it this way, 50% of the content is licensed, with no transfer of license. So the only thing left is
    original titles. You won't be getting bomberman, maybe only the rights to that one title on that one platform.
    Only a fool would buy that, and the large amount of marooned and platform locked IP that was sold from
    the acclaim bankruptcy never made the buyer a penny, they probably lost a considerable sum of money.

You have a few RPG titles that are really niche, and would require a long and specific development
    engine, with the real possibility that the small market for it might shun the title due to changes you make.
    If EA can't make ultima work, a potentially billion dollar franchise title, then no one is going to make
    some obscure 1990's VGA title work.

It's a foolish purchase, a gamble that will be like making lemonade from 40 year old lemons.

The only relevant thing is decent, the first true 3d VR title, but the market of VIVE and RIFT is far too small
    to make it a good purchase.

Too many titles locked to licenses you need to renegotiate.

Too many generic, singular games that never had sequels.

Someone will buy it, probably for a whole lot less than you'd imagine. I'd say all the IP that
    is free and clear of licensing problems is at most worth $750,000. Most. You're going to release
    earthworm Jim as a non-aaa title, an xbox live / psn game that is $5.99. You'll need to sell
    500,000 copies at $12 to break even on the $1,000,000 purchase (there's the buyer's premium) and $5,000,000 dev costs.

I don't see earthworm jim on psn or live selling a million copies, it's a nostalgia title that won't translate to 3d well.

Basically whoever buys this has a lot of dev costs, little return and worse.

If you buy the titles as-is, and patch them to work on win 10 and just whore them out on steam, gog, humble store you'll get the optimum return on nostalgia, zero dev costs, etc. It will take years to break even, but it's a sure profit in the end.

I think (personally), that the only title worth a damn is Battlechess. You can build it and sell endless licensed skins for it,
    the play mechanics are done years ago (only so many moves in chess). You could have evangelion vs angels chess, warhammer chess, portal chel vs turrets chess, star wars, namco vs capcom, dragon quest, idolmaster chess, etc. It's a veritable money making machine and if someone is smart, this the only thing they should go for and then resell the rest.

I am available for hire btw; if someone reads this and sees how battlechess can be a billion dollar ip, I would be happy to be part of the team. :)

-=FamilyGuy=- and Tripredacus like this.