Interference/picture distortion issue on SD2SNES

Discussion in 'Super Everdrive' started by SkinnyV, Aug 9, 2012.

1. SkinnyV

SkinnyV Rapidly Rising Member

I have this annoying issue with my new Sd2SNES, there is diagonal line pattern moving around, kind of like interference on the picture. It's more noticeable on solid black background like the title screen of Final Fantasy III / VI. I contacted Ikari and he told he suspect it has to do with the higher power consumption of the sd2snes compared to standard games and other flash carts (while still being within safe limits). In that case interference may be caused by aging electrolytic capacitors in the SNES. He suggested to test it on another SNES which I did but the issue is still the same on both console. Now do any of the people owning SD2SNES have those issue? I'm using mine on an Cathode Tube HD TV, I know it's pretty uncommon but never have issue of the sort with my Tototek flashcart.

If it is the capacitor, would I need to replace a few specific one or all of them? Any info would be appreciated. It's kind of ruining my SD2SNES party lol.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I use S-Video game but doubt it's the issue since like I said, I can play FF3 on my tototek cart without that
    issue.

Update: I was leveling up my FF3 character in a cave and noticed that the issue goes away after about 15 to 20 min.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. SkinnyV

Nobody have experienced that issue? I do get it on 2 different north american snes... I'm thinking of buying a capacitor replacement kit but shipping is so expensive for such small item.

3. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

You have a US SNES console right? If you do, unfortunately they have a different power plug on the console so it would be difficult to just use a bigger power supply. But if you are talking about installing new caps, you could take a bigger PSU (like a Genesis Model 1) and put a SNES PSU plug on the end, Just make sure to connect the polarity correctly and secure the two pieces together properly. The SNES PSU I think only supplys around 850ma. The Genesis Model 1 supplies 1.2amps.

But it could be your aging capacitors too. They are quite old by now.

4. SkinnyV

I might just try the PSU replacement before replacing the cap, didn't think of that! Trouble is that I don't have any PSU for my Sega Genesis at the moment so I'll try to look for a beefy PSU to chop and try on the SNES. And my SNES is Canadian, as far as I know they are exactly the same as American SNES.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. SkinnyV

Ok, I got around to test with different PSU after hacking up a compatible jack for the SNES. It did not fix the wavy interference pattern. I even tried with a 9.5v 2.1 Amp PSU and the issue is still there. Like I mentioned before, it goes away after about 15-20 min of gameplay but I would still like to fix it completely. I guess that the only other thing I can try is to replace the cap.

6. SkinnyV

Just wanted to give an update on my issue. I re-capped my snes and the problem is still there. Not sure what else to try.

7. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

So this only happens with the SD2SNES and it happened on more than one console, seems like it may be related to the SD2SNES cart don't you think?

8. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

Could it possibly be the cable or the TV? I'm interested to know because i've just ordered an sd2snes and i'm just preparing for possible trouble lol. I have an NTSC SNES with a replacement PSU. My PSU has a 9v 1.4a output.

9. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

10. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

^ yeah I was gonna post that link too
    btw, anyone with a good source on the needed components please state it :)

11. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

12. keropi

keropi Familiar Face

^ sadly my options are eBay or something similar on the net... no local suppliers carry these things here, at least none that can bother to sell a small quantity of them. :\.

edit: bleh, tried to order from the site you linked borti4938, got 5 of each parts that coster ~2.5eur and shipping was an extra 19eur... I just cancelled it :(

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  13. SkinnyV

I forgot about this post until I stumbled onto it this year and realized peoples replied. I am glad to say that, 5 years later, I was able to fix my issue than to your replies. Thanks guy! I did the mod to rev f by adding the capacitor and inductor and my annoying temporary slight wavy interference pattern is now gone. I was out of smd cap but replaced it with a regular electrolytic cap and its all good now.