Interest in "Ultimate" PS3 Downgrading Kit?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Zeigren, Sep 11, 2017.

?

Would you be interested in a "Ultimate" PS3 Downgrading Kit?

1. Yes - With Sockets

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Yes - With Clips

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Yes - With Both

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. No thanks

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Zeigren

Zeigren Rising Member

I'm trying to gauge interest in a "Ultimate" PS3 Downgrading Kit that I could design and sell here. There's a couple ways to do it, but my guess is that I would sell it for somewhere in the $50-$65 range.

It would be a single PCB with a Teensy and a socket for either NANDs or NORs. Potentially could have both sockets but that of course would increase the price. This would be for use with either NANDway or NORway. Since these are sockets the NAND or NOR would need to be removed from the PS3, so this would only be for those comfortable with desoldering/soldering these chips.

I'm personally not a fan of the NAND or NOR clips, they're annoying and way more expensive than the sockets. But I could make a version that did use clips instead of the sockets, but that would probably end up being over $100 with both clips included.

I could of course design 7 different versions with various features to meet the needs of all, but that's a lot of work.

I already have a PCB designed to replace my current setup, but that is with both the Teensy and the socket on separate daughter boards. If I did this I would have to redesign it so everything could just be on the single PCB to make it cheaper and more user friendly.

Thoughts?

Not sure if this is the best forum for this but since I'm not actually selling anything figured it didn't exactly belong in the marketplace either.

2. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Why not make a universal adapter system.
    Use the same FPC as the E3 flasher does and just plug in the correct socket daughter board, if people want to use the clip just use the E3 one that's easy to get.

3. Zeigren

Zeigren Rising Member

Although that is a good idea in theory in practice it might be problematic. Part of the appeal, for me at least, of using the sockets is to have the absolute best scenario for dumping either the NAND/NOR, you have a super solid connection with the shortest distance between the Teensy and the NAND/NOR as possible. Placing the sockets on a daughter board would add more points of failure to the system and increase trace lengths.

That did get me thinking though, it would be easy enough to include 2 different FPCs for NORs on the board itself. From what I've found it seems like there are just two different clip styles for NORs, there's the E3 like you said and the 48 pin "360 Clip" ones that are sold on Aliexpress and the like. So if I made an all clip version it could have three FPCs on it for the different options out there.

I don't know why I wasn't thinking about FPCs before. That makes having just one "ultimate" board a more tempting idea. Sure it would make laying out the board more annoying but it would probably only increase the cost of the board itself by a couple bucks and then everyone could have the best of both worlds ^.^ Downside would be that people who only want clips will have to pay to have these random sockets on there. Hmmm....

I'm sort of back pedaling on the idea of pre-populating the Teensy on the board itself. This way people can choose to supply the Teensy++ 2.0 themselves (like if they already own one), or I can place one on there if someone needs it. This of course would bring costs down for those who have a Teensy already, it would also potentially make designing the board a little easier :p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. Kidgamepro06

Kidgamepro06 Member

Based on my personal experience

- Donwgrading Nand consoles is not worth it because it's more difficult and these ps3 tend to fail pretty easily (ylod)
    - Using a clip is totally feasible and is certainly a good time saving compared to desoldering/soldering chips. I mean, as long as you succeed in dumping the nor and you took the time to secure the clip with tape or something else, there should be no problems writing the NOR.
    - E3 clips cost nothing (15€ shipped on aliexpress) and can be easily cut to fit all ps3 (on some fat models, there are resistors in the way of the clip).
    - E3 flasher works OK but needs the console to be powered up to work properly

So I think a solution based on a teensy with an e3 clip should be the cheapest and at the same time should suit most users.

5. Zeigren

Zeigren Rising Member

EDIT: Check updates below!

I think I've decided to make it work with both the sockets and the clips, adding the connectors for the clips should only add like $5 to the price. This of course could change if it ends up causing too many problems.

My current plan is to make and sell the PCB with the sockets and clip connectors populated. I can put a Teensy++ 2.0 on there for an additional fee if you need it. I don't plan on supplying any of the clips myself, they're easy enough to buy online. I'll make sure to link to the clips that I have designed it for though.

Currently I'm making the footprints and 3D models for a bunch of the components. Surprising how many of these aren't out there or aren't complete, at least for KiCad.

Kind of the point is for it to be the One Downgrading solution to rule them all, that way it can meet the needs of everyone. For me I downgrade both NANDs and NORs using sockets and it's the ideal solution for me (NANDs for that sweet PS2 backwards compatibility). As far as I know there isn't an easy to use solution for sockets out there. For clips you can buy into the whole E3 system or make your own PCB for clips using gerbers uploaded by littlebalup. So there's not much I can improve in the clip space (besides making it slightly simpler and selling the boards myself).

I was pretty sure E3 clips only work with NOR consoles?

Speaking of which I'm trying to nail down the pin-outs of both the E3 NOR clip and the 360 NAND clip. Yes the pin-outs for the breakout boards are out there but I'm not finding pin-outs for the connectors themselves. Here's a awful image of what I mean: https://imgur.com/PXfKEtd

I could probably just follow the traces on the 360 clip and make an educated guess, but the E3 not so much. If I have to I'll just buy both in a couple of days and figure it out, but I'm hoping someone else has already figured this out.

Update: I've finished the footprints and crappy 3D models and made a mock up. The board will definitely end up bigger but this is just to show what I'm thinking of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Update 2: Lol can't wait for this post to be super long. Started actually designing the board and I don't know how I forgot that for the NAND clips not to suck you need to use NANDway Signal Booster Edition. In order to do that whilst having all the NOR stuff I would need to add 4x 4:1 multiplexers or some kind of jumper system, which would increase the size of the board/push me into using a 4 layer board/increase the price etc... So I went ahead and designed just a Teensy to Sockets board. I'll order some and test those out and if they work well I'll start selling them. Here's some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I'll still design and make separate boards for both NAND and NOR clips, I already have most of the work done for those and just need to figure out the pinouts for 2 of the four clip connectors. Those should be much cheaper than the socket board since I can make them much smaller and the clip connectors are much cheaper then the sockets.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017