(Info) Xbox 360 XEDK

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by Doc_gc, May 23, 2018.

1. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Years ago, there was an electronic scrap dealer in Guangzhou that had pallets full of trashed XeDKs - they had all been treated pretty brutally (all the ports drilled out, sidecar + HDD smashed, labels obliterated) - and at the time I didn't realize they were capable of operating without a sidecar so I didn't bother getting any of them.

I have no idea what happened to them - but they were certainly in China at one point.

bowser22 likes this.
  2. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Yeah, i read a discussion where a user (i think was you?) said he saw that in Guangzhou (where lots of electronics things are shipped, it's the main place i find on ebay when i buy something in china). Too bad, for sure they have scapped it for good and only a little was saved from someone passing there and offering a little price for a bunch. But i guess someone still has some scrapped to sell, i know there were too much on taobao, not all were obivously sold, as little users have bought through china (as far i know). It's only matter of time and when someone post it online

3. Stipo360

Stipo360 "That Dead Rising Guy"

They have black stickers and are missing some engravings on the physical plastic, and the S/N doesn't match any final fan. Everything inside the 007 is a prototype.

[​IMG]

correct.

[​IMG]

bowser22 and Doc_gc like this.
  4. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Nice!! Interesting

5. Blob

Blob Rapidly Rising Member

mmm so it's safe to say these XeDKs were bettter than the dev XDK kits hardware wise? Was there any diffrence software-wise tho?

6. Stipo360

XeDK's (Rev. 007 and below) will only run a Beta OS, and with that comes the issue of being locked to the Beta executable filesystem. This means that XeDK's cannot run any executable file that runs on later 360 models, such as the 008-011 xenons, and all final hardware. An XeDK will only run an executable file that is compiled with the early format of: EXE-MZ, XEX0 (-) & most commonly XEX1.

Final 360 hardware (or anything that comes after 007 XeDK's) run XEX2.

This means that despite your best efforts of running Halo 3 on an XeDK, it simply wont. This also means that you'll never get an XeDK-compatible build of a game to run on a final 360.

bowser22 likes this.
  7. bowser22

bowser22 .

Huge hardware and software differences

Blob likes this.
  8. Blob

So shadowbooting one of these on a current XDK is out of the question? Only reason I think they'd be better is cause of the solder used as well mention of it being bulletproof. Non-RHOS = No RRoD issues down the road? Pretty interesting how we're finding these kits and able to fix and get them up and running with 360 parts left and right ;-)

9. benny679

benny679 Member

Not sure about shadowboot capabilities but XeDKs use unleaded solder as well. I'm not sure where that rumor came from.. the sticker on the motherboard indicates the contents of the solder and its lead-free.

I'm curious as to which? The only real differences I can find are the 1bl code... pinout appears to be the same on the XeDK and Engineering Sample to final hardware on the CPU. I think there's some rumor of the XeDK cpu being dual core but I've never seen any evidence.

10. peekpoke

peekpoke Member

No there are not dual-core cpu used..
    XeDK Beta 1 have been restricted to 2.8 GHz per Core not as beta 2, finals and stress kits that have triple core running up to 3.3 GHz.
    That’s the real limitation they face anyway.

Beta 2 can be easily hacked to go up to any recovery you want even 21256.18 is possible..

11. bowser22

bowser22 .

I'd love to be proven wrong, show me a prototype running final code, or beta1 code running on a final kit. What would be the point of running final code on one of these kits anyways ? They are probably less reliable than a final kit, only that their life cycle was so short and they had the fans running full blast to keep them running. Moreover, just get yourself a jasper if you're after something bulletproof.

12. Blob

Heh sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a Jasper isn't as bulletproof as we would like, I got a Jasper as a 2nd JTAG it RRODed needs reflow work :( So now I've got a XDK Jasper setup.... Hopefully it does better!!! It's just interesting cause in all of my xbox modding experience in the old days, all of the recoveries and SDKs worked on every unit. No matter what. I'm speaking of the original first xbox to hit market. NOT the xboxone.... So I'd reckon it's the same w/ the 360... If you got the Gueux devkit hack it'll do the same to your original xbox as the GhettoHak does I'd think... It's some shady dash launch devkit hack for the 360 XDK kits ain't it? Tho I'd love a readme so I can see exactly what it does LoL

bowser22 likes this.
  13. bowser22

bowser22 .

well, i can assure you that a jasper in any case would be more robust than a beta1 prototype. Also, I've only seen leaded solder used on 005 internal prototypes. The beta1's sent to devs had ROHS solder, same as every other kit. Also, have you seen the price of a beta1 kit? You could buy a few jtag jaspers before you'd come close to the cost of one.

Blob likes this.
  14. Stipo360

A Xenon, Beta or not, is not a reliable choice at all. o_O The fact my 007 is still running is just because it likely wasn't ran to death in 2005.

Besides, the only "Beta" kit you could run any of your games on is what came after 007 (which people refer to as "Beta2") - A Beta2 Kit is not an XeDK, it's just an early production Xenon, from board revs of 008 to 009.

If you could track down a 008 or 009 "Beta2" kit, it would be exactly as reliable as a final Xenon devkit. Meaning there is no point at all.

Here's my video of the physical differences.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM
    Blob and bowser22 like this.