(Info) Xbox 360 XEDK

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by Doc_gc, May 23, 2018.

1. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Hi, i would like to buy one XEDK, not one working but one to be repaired as a project.
    In the pasts years i got in touch with a site where you could be helped while buying on a famous chinese site where some of those consoles were (waste kits), but i didn't pay as there were some troubles with the seller, so left the idea.
    I tried now but i can't find nothing about XEDK around, only collector system.

Can someone help me? Where some of those systems can be bought?

Obivously i know the risks and what troubles a similar console can bring, those are not a problem

Thanks

2. Stipo360

Stipo360 "That Dead Rising Guy"

There isn't many "non working" XeDK's out there, as the prototype motherboards were basically bullet proof and had little RRoD chance. Most China E-waste kits are privately owned by now and might be just as hard as finding a mint condition one. I'd ask in the marketplace.

3. PIXeL92

PIXeL92 Spirited Member

I have a XDK that needs repairing, the console works fine but the sidecar has a couple of SMD components with a damaged trace. I was going to repair it but that was months ago and I still haven't got round to it. If you are interested I can make a post in the marketplace with pictures etc. Cheers

4. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

hat's give in addition a dev kit 360 vs glitch console please?

5. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Hi, really?
    I thought in all this years the beta mobos were more prone to RROD (and nands/flash) problems.
    Firstly because those were betas, so had lots of problems as all prototype products, and in second place because the Xenon retail systems were a pain in the ass, and those were "golden master" systems ready to the final user, and were a little bit better or the same as betas systems, so not really good.

But i found (more or less) what i was searching for online; i remember lots of those Xedk systems with scrapped ports on the back in the past, and some people buying them and found rrod and various troubles after new ports install.

Hi, i was searching for an XeDk, which XDK do you have?

The devkit can downgrade the recovery (so it should not have efuse check), has game developement capability (sidecar, cables, stress cables, etc), can't connect to Pnet or XBL, has debug options etc etc.

The glitch console is a little bit more restricted, but for the end user is the best as no one will use the debug options or developement capability, so lower price, and still can run backups and emulators, can connect to XBL (not recommended)...

What i want to do is spend a little and check what 360 will came in the box; I'm buying one that has a good shell, but is a normal XDK...

nonosto likes this.
  6. Stipo360

Betas used a different solder type for the BGA, which meant higher melting temperature. The only issue the China kits faced were busted ports, but by now most of them have been fixed by their current owners. There were only a couple thousand 007 XeDKs produced.

Doc_gc likes this.
  7. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

They had leaded solder ball under chips? Weren't them under RoHS laws, even if betas and not sold to the public?

Cool stories, didn't know that

8. Stipo360

FCC compliance is what forced them to later use unleaded. Prototypes didn't have to comply as theoretically these kits should have been returned and destroyed.
    It's believed that all board revisions after 007 started to use unleaded and are prone to all the issues that plagued final.

Traace, Doc_gc and bowser22 like this.
  9. bowser22

bowser22 Pug

I just checked a dead 007 board I have here and the sticker says the solder is tin silver solder. 96.5 pct tin, 3 pct silver and .5 pct copper

Traace and Doc_gc like this.
  10. bowser22

bowser22 Pug

by all means, prove me wrong, id hate to have one of my betas RROD:(

edit: i do believe that earlier internal prototypes such as 005 had a leaded solder

Doc_gc likes this.
  11. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Someone knows which warranty seal the launch xdk from 05 has? I'm pretty sure the silver one, but asking is better.
    I know that the paper seal was introduced with zephyr/falcon systems, but who knows

12. XeDK

XeDK -___-

Silver

bowser22 likes this.
  13. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Nice, i was pretty sure as microsoft introduced a different type of seal some years after the launch

Many thanks

14. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I have a couple of dead -007 boards here too - and I just stuck them in an XRF machine. As far as I can see, they are RoHS - there is a small amount of Pb in some of the chips, but this appears to be the 2nd level interconnect (the one that attaches the die to the carrier board) and the solder balls that connect the chips to the main PCB are SnAgCu, as is the rest of the solder on the board.

So yes, at least some of the -007 boards are definitely RoHS. If the earlier prototype boards were made in the US, I can see them being SnPb, since at that point there were still a lot of CMs in the US that were using leaded processes.

bowser22, Stipo360 and Traace like this.
  15. Stipo360

Very interesting, i wonder if most of the leaded consoles were mainly 005-006 (internal beta)
    However... 007 has many board manufacturers, such as CATAC, Hannstar, Ellington, YUFO, and some others. All of these companies used different manufacturing processes and different parts such as capacitors (Ellington used a few solidstate caps for instance!) - Each of these 007 revisions are different in their own way, and it's possible some of these board revs used different solder, (regardless what the info sticker says??)

I'm curious as to which XeDK 007 board rev was the most susceptible to RRoD, and which ones are basically indestructible (i'd vouch for Ellington on that)

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Doc_gc likes this.
  16. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

THX buddy

Doc_gc likes this.
  17. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I think it's pretty much certain that the info sticker will accurately represent the as-manufactured state of the board. Any CM that would screw up something as basic as that would have to be frighteningly incompetent, and I don't think MS would be dealing with companies like that. Of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't subsequently modified, and there are plenty of those early XeDKs that have more than one build label on the board stuck on top of each other, which is generally an excellent sign of rework.

I also suspect that MS would have started making the units RoHS quite early on - if they wanted to ship them to developers based in the EU then they would have to comply with the requirements for the CE marking (the EU rules permit importation of non-compliant products only for internal testing) and compliance with the RoHS rules is a requirement for the CE marking. This is somewhat different from the US approach about FCC - in the US you can import non type approved products and use them for both internal and external testing as long as they remain in your control (basically, you don't sell or lease them).

So my guess is that only the very early boards that were used internally by MS are likely to be SnPb any anything later than that will be RoHS. An additional consideration is that at the point in time the early 360 prototypes were being made the majority of Asian CM/EMS companies didn't like running SnPb since they were at that point mostly running RoHS changing over involved having to clean down the entire production line afterwards - they would do it, but it would involve extra costs.

Doc_gc and bowser22 like this.
  18. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Nice discussion there, really interesting

Were the fans installed on xedks the same as the retail ones? (From Delta, Sunon, Nidec...)
    I know the DVD drive are the same (only were earlier obivously)
    Rf board can have different fw on it and can't connect via wireless
    Chassis is the same as the plastic of the shell

Btw in china they have lots of XDK (all black xenons, found a jasper and a falcon maybe) but no XEDK found. I will buy an early xdk (dated 13-12-05), so i can "mess" with it a little bit more. I need to contact a dealer that i saw has much xdk to see if he can find a xedk

19. Doc_gc

Doc_gc 1888 kernel

Question: anyone that has tried to put liquid metal under copper cpu heatsink of a 360? Is that giving troubles under pressure?

20. bowser22

bowser22 Pug

fans are the same, dvd drive is typically hitachi 32ce with extra header on the back.

Doc_gc likes this.