Info about Resident Evil 1.5

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by santo_reska, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

No, I meant that the most recent 1.5 backgrounds were dated 23/12/1996 from what I can tell - anything after this period seems to be early designs for the retail version rather than the prototype concept.

2. pato

pato Resolute Member

Ah i see, such as the Umbrella entrance that have an cop car outside, there was two versions, and the newer was made around this date.

I wonder what date was on the early 2 RPD entrance and Streets, the RPD one follows the artwork, where you have stairs at the entrance, instead of an emergency ladder.

Also, i'm quite impressed that they made RE2 out of scratch in 9-10 months, 1.5 was discarded in February 1997. But obviously, the fact that they decided to keep the lab and a few CG models helped to finish the game just in time, according to Wikipedia, they didn't have time to finish Ada CG model.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. Anthaemia.

I wouldn't say the final retail concept for BioHazard 2 was made "from scratch" as quite a few 1.5 elements were recycled, and it's not as if the entire scenario needed rewriting. With the exception of Elza Walker's character being rewritten to become Claire Redfield, all of the other major plot elements seemed as if they only required minor adjustments, though it's puzzling as to why Capcom had a preliminary design for Ada Wong in prototypes going back to late 1996, yet didn't finalise her CG appearance in time for her to feature in the FMV sequences over a year later. Considering how often the sewer areas in particular were altered, I suspect those in charge never really stopped second-guessing their work, even after development was restarted under a supposedly more consistent vision with more input from Shinji Mikami and the newly-formed Flagship - I wouldn't be at all surprised if management's biggest problem with the game Hideki Kamiya first conceived was that it proved simply too definitive for what they perceived as a potentially cash-printing franchise after the original's unexpected great success!

Keiji Dragon and pato like this.
  4. pato

pato Resolute Member

Says the legend that it was never about the game quality, but instead the fact that it was too conclusive.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  5. Anthaemia.

I just don't understand Capcom at all... If the problem was solely with the plot, why did they feel the need to also drastically rework the RPD and sewers when all it required was for the scenario to be altered? The only reason they changed Elza into Claire was so BioHazard 2 had greater links with its predecessor and the planned future sequels!

6. pato

pato Resolute Member

Dunno, my bet is that they decided to redone the RPD as an museum was to remind players of the Spencer's Mansion from RE1, kinda of a mirroring, the Sewers probably ended being the same reason (Underground Labs from RE1).

Also, I barely know any background from the 1.5 Sewers.

7. cammers1995

cammers1995 Active Member

I was thinking the same the other day. In my opinion, the backgrounds are drastically better than the ones in retail. Mansion RPD and lab sewers feel like they were revisions of Resident Evil. Ironic someone at Capcom said 1.5 was scrapped because it felt like RE1.
    Anyways, I strongly prefer 1.5 backgrounds.

8. Anthaemia.

Yes, its certainly ironic that someone within Capcom objected to the "1.5" concept feeling too much like its predecessor, only for the design to even more closely follow this style when development was restarted! The early backgrounds - especially those of the RPD and sewers, where the most changed occurred - were far more realistic (such as the police station having a firing range and proper helipad), while the retail version resembles some old converted town hall or library, which isn't particularly true to life. I mean, would the underground areas really be made to look so elaborate? What the powers that be clearly didn't realise* is that we're too busy fighting off the increased number of enemies as opposed to studying the environments, only they went and dialled even this element back in the final code when all it really took was for a less definitive ending to be created and not a near-complete overhaul.

*Maybe if they'd allowed their fans to sample a demo all those years back, Capcom might have learned very quickly that despite the end product being perhaps the high point of the series for so many, its prototype actually had a better tone that may explain why interest in this continued long after it had been officially brushed under the proverbial carpet.

9. cammers1995

cammers1995 Active Member

It baffles me though that the 1.5 station had been scrapped. It was realistic. The other version was basically a mansion with an office building shoved inside. I always felt like I was inside a mansion. The only thing missing was the stairs in the RPD hall.

Another thing I noticed that makes the retail version so unreal, is the way the RPD was designed.
    First, there are no bathrooms. Second, would the officers really walk halfway around the station to get upstairs? Especially when there is a waiting room right on the second floor right hand side? It seems to me like they had many oversights that were never corrected. I noticed later in later RE games that featured the RPD (excluding 3), that the third floor was removed. Outbreak has a great RPD reproduction, but was missing a third floor.

10. pato

pato Resolute Member

The RPD from the final game was actually an museum before it was closed/moved to another place, it was either stated in the game files or another official source (books and etc...) that the Raccoon police decided to buy the building to change it into a police department, this new RPD concept was also associated with Brian Irons as he bought the paintings and decoration, IIRC the Raccon Police decision actually dates just a few years before the game begins, some of the art and deco was the museum leftovers.

The original artwork had stairs in the hall, in fact, some of the very early backgrounds of the hall had the stairs.

11. Anthaemia.

I don't ever recall there being any evidence of the 1.5 concept RPD having any bathrooms, though it's not as if Capcom hadn't put these into Resident Evil before. Yes, the retail design was justified in the end by Flagship making a fleeting reference to Brian Irons being a fan of classical architecture, but how can the lack of toilet facilities or it having a weapons room yet no firing range ever be rationally explained? The only reason many of the final backgrounds were more elaborate wasn't to further the story - it was simply an excuse not to reproduce the same disappointing level of quality as they felt the prototype suffered from, when in actual fact these variations were closer to real world examples. I think it speaks volumes that the art team visited old buildings rather than police headquarters specifically, and I've been to such places that look very much like the 1.5 alternative (for the record, this was as part of my day job as opposed to simply spending a night in the cells there)!

12. shane7951

shane7951 Spirited Member

I really like the environment of both RE2 and 1.5. That being said I wouldn't change anything about the visuals of RE2, it's perfect. When I think of the Resident Evil series I immediately think of the RE2 rooms and, in particular, the opening scene once you enter the RPD. It was creepy and atmospheric which the series lost after RE4.

13. pato

pato Resolute Member

You work as a guard?

Also, I don't recall RE1 having enough wash/bathrooms for the Mansion size.

14. Anthaemia.

For me, the original "essence" of Survival Horror was lost after Resident Evil 2, when the series became more concerned with action than a sense of isolation and terror. Although the idea of there being more enemies at once in the 1.5 prototype initially filled me with dread, after finally getting to play it my feeling is that it was actually quite a good balance. Saying that, is there any place the engine was pushed to its limits in terms of how many zombies it could handle at once?

As a writer myself when I'm not busy with other work that actually helps pay my bills, I truly believe a good sequel shouldn't need to be weighed down in exposition - you already know the universe, its characters and scenario, allowing the audience to simply hit the ground running to enjoy more of the same as before, only with some natural improvements or refinements to the formula. In this sense, it's hardly surprising that there's been so much demand for a remake of the second as opposed to the third installment, which I suspect will probably also happen some day.

P.S. I'd prefer to keep my real and on-screen lives separate, but what I will say is that I'm in a position where I get to regularly visit my local police headquarters for the region, which looks very much like the RPD as it was styled before production restarted (yes, complete with shutters at the entrance, a heliport, firing range and dog kennels, only there are definitely catering and toilet facilities there). If it wasn't for security being so tight and me not wanting to risk my job, I might have considered taking a few pictures for you all... they'd make great backgrounds to someone wanting to create their own game inspired by Capcom's franchise, I'm sure!

15. shane7951

I thought they did a fantastic job on Code Veronica in keeping it suspenseful and giving an atmospheric experience. I really hope CV gets a remake as well.

16. pato

pato Resolute Member

Money talks, they wanted to bring the action games public.

17. Anthaemia.

I'll give you that one - Code: Veronica was the classic "tank" formula updated correctly into proper three dimensions to me... forget over-the-shoulder camera perspectives and chainsaws of 4!

shane7951 likes this.
  18. shane7951

I don't know about you but the tank controls never bothered me. I just accepted it in that's how you play the game. I didn't realize there was such a fuss with it until I started checking out forums and YouTube. Honestly, I like the tank controls.

I pre-ordered Code Veronica for the Dreamcast and played it several times over. I'm not sure where that's ranked among the others but for me it's probably my favorite.

19. Anthaemia.

I'm certainly not complaining... I'd give anything for one last classic style Resident Evil with tank-style controls, pre-rendered backgrounds and b-movie dialogue. Behind The Mask, perhaps?

20. shane7951

What exactly is Resident Evil: Behind the Mask? I'm a little out of touch obviously. I read where it's supposed to be like Survivor but with elements of 1, 2 and 3. But the YouTube videos show footage of RE1 environments.