In, then out, in, then out . . . back in again, retro gaming here I come !!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by DarkOnus, Feb 5, 2017.

1. DarkOnus

DarkOnus Member

Hello all,
    Unfortunately I'm a lot older than I would like to be, lol, though I guess that's par for the course for so many individuals that pass the 30 line . . . but fortunately with that age I've also had the opportunity to have grown up witnessing first hand so many fantastic changes in the computer and gaming world!

I was an arcade junky in the 70's and 80's, but my first experience at home was with early console video gaming, and the simple, yet very addictive Pong. Soon afterwards our family purchased an Atari 2600 . . . gaming at home was never the same, and the rest was history!

Starting sometime between 1979 and 1981 (memory has failed me), I had the opportunity to be one of the first few students at my high school to join in on a new basic computer programming class being taught that utilized Tandy's TRS-80 computers. Like so many using the system, we ended up calling them TRaSh-80's very quickly, but overall the experience left a positive indelible impression on me, and sparked my interest in computers for more than just gaming.

In early 1983 I had saved enough money to purchase my very own first computer, a Commodore 64. I was not only in gaming heaven, but I also started back into dabbling in basic, tried my hand at programming a few of my own games, and then started learning and programming in machine language on my own. After a few years I ended up purchasing a Commodore-128 as well, eventually moving on to IBM-PC/AT/PS2 machines, etc.

I pretty much grew up in the arcades in the early and mid-80's, and was playing and programming on my home consoles and computers as well through the 80's and into the mid-90's, but unfortunately I fell away from advancing my programming skills at all (which I regret to this day). At the same time my gaming interest was also in flux, and I have found myself in an ever continuing loop of abandoning gaming, then once again resuming my gaming, at various times ever since.

Even though I was an avid gamer in the arcades, I really never owned too many different home consoles or handhelds over the years. A Pong system, an Atari 2600, a Mattel Electronic Football, a Coleco Total Control 4, an Atari Lynx, the TurboGrafx-16 CD System and TurboExpress, and most currently, an XBox One S. Most my gaming over the last 20 years has really been on the PC though, not any consoles. I don't even really game on the XBox, which I just purchased about 6 months ago.

I purchased my first US TG-16 console back in 1990, then added the CD unit and TurboExpress very soon afterwards. I was so disappointed when NEC failed to win, or at least stay in the battle against Nintendo and SEGA, and after about 5-6 years playing with the system, I thought I was putting it away for good, never to use it again, back in the mid-90's . . .

Well about 4 months ago, I got them back out and was going to sell everything, but after playing some games again, I just couldn't find myself parting ways completely, so I've decided to upgrade and fix everything I can, probably sell all the original games and most everything else, keep at least one console (and maybe keep the TE), and then some day purchase a Turbo Everdrive to be able to still play everything!

When I pulled everything out again, my CD unit wasn't working, it would spin for a second, then stop, and my TE was playing sound so low I could only hear it if I put my ear directly against the unit itself . . . after a couple fixes done to the CD unit, it's working flawlessly again, and my TE now has sound, though I think it still needs to be louder . . . so that's still a work in progress.

I've also added an internal region mod to one of the consoles, which is working perfectly.

And lastly, I really needed component out video to be able to use the TG-16 with any newer large screen TV, so at first I opted in trying Helder's BA7230LS RGB to Component v5.0A board based off of ACE's (SEGA-16 forum member) 5.0 schematics. But the board didn't quite have all the bells and whistles I was looking for, so I designed my own PCB board based off of ACE's design too. My board is to be used as an expansion port plug-in, not only offering component out, but with added composite video out, stereo audio out, and also has areas for inserting connectors for fitting the TG-16 expansion port plug and video/audio out cables.

Though this video/audio mod is where I'll need some more help, as I'm hoping to get better color/sync results than I am right now, even though for the most part I'm liking what I see already for many games I've tried using it.

Anyway, I hope I'll fit in here, and thanks for allowing me to be a member . . . looking forward to picking everyone's brains, and hopefully someone can assist me with my US TG-16 NTSC RGB to component issues!

Best Regards,
    ~ Craig ~

Syclopse likes this.
  2. JonathanSeagate

JonathanSeagate Member

Welcome Craig! Nice to meet some people like you. If you want to talk,share & sell video games/old computer systems-related things, you're in the right place!

3. DarkOnus

DarkOnus Member

Thanks for the welcome Jonathan.

I'm just hoping there's more interest and member discussion on this forum when or if I start a new thread for the BA7230LS RGB to component mod for the TG-16, than I've been able to get on another forum where I tried starting a similar discussion over a month ago. That forum was basically targeted specifically towards NEC consoles and handhelds, but barely anyone wanted to offer any input or discuss it at all.

4. JonathanSeagate

JonathanSeagate Member

Don't worry. You will certainly found someone who's interested.

5. DarkOnus

DarkOnus Member

;) Thanks for a vote of confidence, though the welcoming committee of just you alone isn't so reassuring, ha ha :p . . . sorry, :oops:, not a jab at you personally, I do thank you for at least posting a hello and any response to a new member to this forum!

As far as interest goes in this particular mod I want to discuss . . . I had thought the same thing on the NEC forum I joined well over a month ago which is dedicated to discussing the TurboGrafx-16 along with all other NEC consoles, that I would at least get replies from a few members that had already tried the same mod, or at the very least, get several members willing to discuss it with me.

However, there was only 1 member, who never even built a BA7230LS RGB to component mod that posted a few times in my thread, and 1 other member who eventually posted a couple times in the thread that they just decided to purchase a board to start trying the same mod. That was it, no-one has posted anything to the thread since in weeks, just a few of my own posts to try to garner some more interest and help . . . just no real interest in it at all, which was kind of a shock to me since it is an NEC specific forum, and RGB to component mods of all sorts I would have thought would be well discussed and interesting to many members. I was wrong. :(

6. JonathanSeagate

JonathanSeagate Member

Hey, when I posted in the New Member Introduction tab, nobody replied. So, I replied because I'm very active and I like to talk to others. And don't worry, it isn't like the "NEC forum" you were on. IT'S CERTAIN that there is a lot of people in ASSEMbler Games that are interested in what you do or like. Especially on things like retro consoles mods (and RGB to Component mods). There isn't one day (on ASSEMbler Games) where there's not a guy posting about his mods on a retro system without people replying to him. And I've seen so much RGB to "???" or "???" to RGB threads getting attention recently, that if you get no attention on your threads about your mods, then I'm going to drink gasoline.