Import Player for PSX & PSone

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by hashisha, Apr 25, 2016.

1. hashisha

hashisha Member

Hi,

I have a PSX and PSone both from Japan with modchip but as everyone know still need an import player to play NTSC US and PAL games on both so I downloaded many images for the JP consoles from emuparadise, theisozone & consolecopyworld got it burned but when i start the console with disc on it freez on the black screen logo.

so i want to hear from is the image, the burning or something else? if anyone have a working image of any import player fro JP console please share

2. Bloodr0se

Bloodr0se Spirited Member

IIRC correctly, the import player disc was only ever needed for the PSOne, it was never needed for the older PlayStation models. It is still very easy to find ISOs for that disc as well, a simple Google search should suffice.

I am assuming that by PSX you are referring to an original series PS1 and not the Japanese PS2/DVR hybrid.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

@Bloodr0se

You need the import player on the Japanese ps1's, not just the psone.

You are thinking about pal region, where only the psone needed import player or later the onechip modchip.

US psones never needed this.

All Japanese consoles other than the very early scph-1000s (there were later scph-1000s that did need it too) require the import disk to play out of region games, even with a modchip. This is due to an extra check added to the bios.

Bloodr0se likes this.
  4. Bloodr0se

Wow, I wonder why that was the case. Its lucky that I've never given in and bought a JPN PS1 then, despite the temptation I've had a few times when I've seen one cheap in Book Off.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Basically the bios check that was added to the PAL psone was added to the Japanese consoles much earlier.

I'm quite surprised no one ever made a modchip similar to onechip for the Japanese consoles. But maybe they weren't that bothered about playing other regions - seeing as they got all the games first and in Japanese anyway.

6. Bloodr0se

Yeah probably although HK also uses the JPN region coding on consoles and HK was a hotbed for game importing and piracy in those days so you would have thought they would want a solution really. IIRC, the first PS1 modchip was actually created in HK before The Old Crow developed and released his hex.

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The HK consoles have Japanese mechcon (so play Japanese games) but with USA bios (so doesn't have this protection).

This is the difference on the xxx3 consoles.

Bloodr0se likes this.
  8. Bloodr0se

That makes perfect sense. I have owned HK consoles in the past such as the PS3 and Dreamcast but I've always wondered how they handle consoles like the 3DS or Wii where the only system locale available is Japanese on a Japanese model. I would guess that the same is true for the likes of Korea also.

9. hashisha

hashisha Member

Yes it's the PS1 console and as I wrote that my issue is that after fixing the modchip I am still not able to run imports while for backups I am patching it before burning so my issue is to run the imports which needs a boot disc to skip the bios protection which I managed to get an image for it but the console hangs when I start it using the import player backup, note that the image is for the JP consoles

10. Bloodr0se

I understand. I've quickly searched around for you in Japanese but I can't find an ISO for that disc at all. Good luck with the search. If you're lucky then another member from here may have it and they can dump it for you.

11. hashisha

hashisha Member

Thanks man, I hope so

12. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Early on, the PS1s in HK were all grey import Japanese SCPH-1000s - these were also the ones where you could swap to a copied disc in the CD player menu and have it boot, so there was no need for a mod. Since at this point all the games were also Japanese, they obviously had Japanese license data on them (and those early consoles didn't check it properly anyway). Since it was obvious that Sony were going to fix the bug that allowed you to boot copies pretty quickly, this was also the point that several different groups of people started trying to reverse engineer the copy protection. It became a lot more critical once the SCPH-1000s with the modified boot ROM in them started to turn up, since although it was still possible to boot copies using a swap trick getting the timing right was a lot more difficult.

The first hardware fix that hit the market was a replacement mechacon CPU containing code copied from the debug station, since that simply didn't check the license data at all - this seems to have had very narrow availability, and in fact I didn't know about it until quite recently when I found a console that was modded this way and asked some of my friends.

The first modchip that hit the market was shortly after this, and since it was much easier to implement (apart from anything else, it didn't require manufacturing a MCU with pirated code in it...) the mechacon swap went by the wayside.

At this point, all the consoles were still Japanese models, and hence all the HK silvers had Japanese license data. The first "Asia specific" version of the PlayStation was the SCPH-5003, which differed from the later ones in still having the Japanese boot ROM (although it had a 220V PSU) - after this, they released the SCPH-5503 and SCPH-5903 (Video CD) - and these had English boot ROMs and wide-range (110-240V 50/60Hz) PSUs. The wide range PSU seems to have been because the same SKU was also officially marketed in Taiwan, and Taiwan is a regional anomaly in using 110V/60Hz.

Although at this point there was an "official" HK version of the console, much of the market was still occupied by gray imports (these didn't have an official warranty, but most of the consoles sold in HK were modded and hence the warranty was void anyway). Since the modded consoles had the region lock defeated, the country of origin of the grey imports tended to switch with every change to Sony's world wide pricing. Hence you find lots of SCPH-5501s (because they were cheaper that the Japanese versions after the US price drop), but also lots of SCPH-7000s (because the Dual Shock pack was available in Japan earlier than it was in the US).

The HK silvers tended to have Japanese license sectors on them, even if the game was a NTSC:U/C version, because the US machines didn't care and the Japanese ones required it.

Bloodr0se likes this.
  13. Bloodr0se

That's actually a really good point, could the OP not just region patch his ISOs anyway? There seem to be a few different patching tools out there from the early 2000's when the PSOne was launched and the first PS2 modchips like the NEO2 would autoboot PS1 backups as long as they were from the host console's region.

14. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Yes, patching the region data on the image works - you can also use the Japanese versions of the cheat CDs since they have boot code that doesn't have the region checks in it (only works on modded consoles, because the boot process resets the CD controller). For the machines before the SCPH-900x, you can also use a cheat cart - but obviously that's not an option for the PSone.

Bloodr0se likes this.
  15. Bloodr0se

I guess that's the solution then. Either buy/burn a cheat CD and use that every time or patch the ISO's. Unless you want to play original imports though, I doubt there is much point in option 1 tbh.

16. hashisha

hashisha Member

Do you have any of these cheat discs as I want it for booting imports

17. Bloodr0se