IGS PGM

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by abveost, Jul 4, 2019.

1. abveost

abveost Robust Member

Just got an IGS PGM. I pulled one of my MVSs out of it's setup, plugged in the PGM, powered on and nothing. No video, no sound. Is there something else I need to do or is it time to start checking hardware. I fiddled with the dip switches and SW1 but that didn't do anything.

2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It should boot - the pinout is standard JAMMA. Have a look at the board - the older versions had a NiCd battery on them that tended to leak and destroy traces on the board. There is also a cap (470uF?) next to the 68K that has a tendency to leak and that can kill the board too.

3. abveost

abveost Robust Member

Thanks. Its a model with a battery clip and the board looks like it's in great condition. Guess I'll poke around on the board and look for a power problem since it's not doing anything.

4. TriMesh

The ones with the coin cell in a battery holder are the later production, and I haven't seen any leaking caps on those.

5. abveost

abveost Robust Member

Thanks for the help. I decided to eliminate as many variables as possible and connected it to a harness with only +5 and video and it booted up straight away. Swapped it back and forth between the MVS and new harness to confirm it just doesn't work in in the MVS. I'll work out why at some point but shouldn't be the audio as that was unplugged.

Another question. Also included in the dumpster was a PGM cart labeled 东方之珠2001. It doesn't work but is apparently a bootleg that might be anything from a great game to some dragon world turd. The label has a small picture of mahjong tile with that stupid dragons face on it. Should I just throw it back in the bin or is it worth trying to get working? Seriously, I won't actually throw it out but would like to know what's on it before I spend a lot of time.

6. TriMesh

It's a Mahjong game. Probably not worth fixing unless it's a trivial problem.

The simplified characters on the label are strange though - being Taiwanese, most of the PGM games that are in Chinese use traditional characters (I.E. 東方之珠 in this case)

7. abveost

abveost Robust Member

The label is traditional. I was looking for info on mainland sites at the time and copied the wrong text. I cracked it open and after cleaning off all the bugs that didn't leave on their own it looks like original Chinese Dragon II boards and EPROMs. So I tossed them into the ultrasonic cleaner and will it again when they're dry. But even if it does work it's still pretty useless. The boards look like they're designed to take different games and apparently people have converted some boards to run other games so maybe it's possible to put something else in there.