Ideas for a simple N64 game?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by marshallh, Jan 4, 2010.

1. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

neat video but you terrain has some sizable pop offs. Are you treating it as a pure tri-mesh or does it use some form of spline patches?

2. z_killemall

z_killemall Familiar Face

Congrats, you made a nice work there!

I'm still impressed with the terrain generator, you really should do something with it if you have the chance...

3. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

absolutely amazing work mate, well done!

nice touch with the AmigaOS ball there too:D

4. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

considering that is all running on a standard N64 with expansion pack, it is very impressive. Far more impressive than any commercial game I've seen on the system. The sharpness even via YouTube is very nice.

Yakumo

5. Tchoin

Tchoin Site Patron

Simply amazing marshallh! Great job! Love seeing the N64 pushed to its limits!

6. WanganRunner

WanganRunner Dauntless Member

That's a very realistic looking NSX, the model is perfect.

I think a Pikmin game would've been cool on N64.

7. billcosbymon

billcosbymon Guru Meditation Error

i saw that at mgc it was very impressive and also your n64 flashcart was very impressive too

8. akanigit

akanigit Rising Member

Absolutely impressive! I have always wanted to see a tech demo pushing the N64 to it's limits.

9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Great work! As subbie said, there are some artifacts, but still very impressive for an N64. I especially liked the DJ setup.

10. u61d

u61d Newly Registered

Really nice, love the silhouettes.

11. thehive

thehive Rising Member

Very, very, VERY nice work indeed.

12. Cooper

Cooper Rising Member

I really like the look of the puzzle game, Funnel Cube. Looks like a lot of fun! But the whole video is awesome - well done!

13. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

mega bump...

The MGC 2011 demo took scene.org 1st place in breakthrough performance... never saw that coming. cool.

Been coding a new engine from the ground up when I can spare the time, it is shaping up to be quite the tool (yes, lots of it is designed specifically to address n64 limitations)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. n64user

n64user Rising Member

there may have already been someone offering their services for help in audio? But I would like to volenteer! To get my name on as many games as poss is my mission with sound!
    that goes for anyone actually!

PS I have worked in pro game company's in the past so got some good experience too!

15. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

sounds like a good deal, I have the soundtrack pretty much finished, but I have nothing else, I need foley, collision fx, engine recordings (big one there), voice acting, blah blah the list goes on. Send me a pm or email if you need more info

16. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I you want engine recordings I can help you there. My Impreza sounds like a real beast when it revs and shifts down a gear.

17. pankakes123

pankakes123 Member

Racing engine is incredible, so I say put that to good use and make a good racing game!

18. dark

dark Dauntless Member

The racing engine in the first post from 2010 looks outstanding. And the 2011 demo looks outstanding as well. Good luck with everything!

19. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Unbelievable work here! Those landscapes look beautiful, it's only a shame that two generations later the N64s full potential is being realised. Still it will be nice to see the system pushed to its limits.

20. Ho-Oh.x7

Ho-Oh.x7 Member

I believe the transition from 2D to 3D is what really screwed over a lot of N64 titles. A lot of later SNES games (Star Ocean, Yoshi's Island ect.) were visually amazing and then all of a sudden everything becomes 3D and a lot of it would have been better sticking with two dimensions. I'm not saying 3D games are bad. Star Fox on SNES was great, but the Super FX chip didn't quite cut it. When it was remade as Star Fox 64 it became one of the best N64 games. There was also Mario 64 and Zelda OoT that made the most of the system's 3D capabilities, not to mention the Mario Party series which would not have worked on a 2D console. Off the top of my head I would say Yoshi's Story is the best example of using 2D graphics to make a good looking 64 game (yes, I know it's technically 3D). While some people, myself included could call the art style questionable it still uses good quality 2D pictures rather than poor looking 3D.