IDE adapter for 3DO FZ-10

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by alex81, Jun 21, 2010.

1. mickcris

mickcris Site Supporter 2014,2015

One thing to note is make sure you have a usb drive with a file on it in the adapter when you turn it on. I didn't do this and was just getting a black screen so I thought I had installed it incorrectly. It sort of says this in the directions but I didn't think nothing would come up without a drive in it.
    I messed with it a bit after, double and triple checking my connections until I stick a drive in it. At one point one of wires came out. I'm not sure if turning it on without being fully connected caused it to lock. Still haven't heard back but he might just not be checking his email on the weekend.

For anyone curious, here is are some screenshots:
    [​IMG]

This comes up for a few seconds after launching the iso and then the console reboots:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic Spirited Member

What a weird thing to be happening. I hope Mnemo helps you out soon.

EDIT: Are there any files you need on the flash drive? I have read there are

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. mickcris

Maybe that's the problem then. I could not find any files on mnemo's website for it though. I only put 1 ISO on the drive.

4. superg

superg Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015. Tape Drive Donor.

I don't see anything files-related on his site in russian.
    But I don't remember where I've seen that iso loader is now a separate app, although I am unsure.

5. Friend of Sonic

I saw some post where Mnemo had messaged the user some files. I'll try to find the user and send him a PM. It's been a while since I saw the post, though.

6. Friend of Sonic

Here is the post I saw:

http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3336

He is describing a different issue than what you're having, but mentioned having a "Launch BIOS" so maybe that'll help? I PMed him, and I'll let you know if I hear back.

EDIT: This board that Mnemo moderates seems to have files on it? Look at the post from October 22nd. I can't seem to figure out how to download the files, though. http://forum.3doplanet.ru/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2630&sid=3c07e51623fbcd069e3f9f8ee7d097ef&start=30

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  7. mickcris

Thanks for the info Friend of Sonic.

NMENO emailed me a firmware file. After updating the firmware, I am able to load isos. He also sent me the file needed for nvram saving to work and to launch the original bios.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  8. Friend of Sonic

Awesome, glad to hear you got it working. I responded to your PM.

9. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Hello,

I have a question about Mnemo's USB Host for FZ-10.

I am aware that you have to remove the 80pin surface mount chip in order to install the USB Host Device.

My question is, will it be possible to install this device without removing it? Will it be possible to install the USB Host Device plus keeping the original the CD drive?

Could we extend the wires and mount the USD port to the back of the 3DO?

Please shed some knowledge.

Thanks.

10. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

The drive has to be removed, Its easy to remove the 80pin chip using quickchip. If you are worried about that.

11. duskdawn

duskdawn Spirited Member

Does it mean it is "Technically" impossible to use the CD Drive as well has the USB Host Device in the same system?

Thanks.

12. citrus3000psi

I'm sure a passthrough device could made, but with the current board its impossible.

13. superg

You can connect CD-drive to mnemo adapter and it'll work. (well, at least IDE version for sure)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. citrus3000psi

How is that possible? Does it have hookups for the cd-drive?

15. superg

Version 1 of his XBUS adapter supported ordinary PC CD drive. Version 2 (I had 44-pin 2.5 IDE edition) supported slim laptop cd drive.
    Although I really don't know why would anyone need CD drive support.

16. citrus3000psi

Oh, I gotcha. I thought you meant retaining the original 3do drive. Not a standard pc drive.

17. Cauterize

Cauterize Rising Member

Just got hold of one of these, although, I'm gutted to say I'm having no luck with it at all :( I won't deny, my soldering isn't great, but from as far as I can tell every point is connected or at least attached in place. Some points I found really difficult to get the wires to stay n place and for the solder to actually stick to the connection points.

When powering on the system now, I get a very small flicker of white and then nothing - just a black screen. I've tried different USB drives, differently formatted drives (using GUIFormat and the HP Tool), but still nothing.

Does anyone want to take a look at my system and potentially fix it for me? I'm happy to pay regardless of the outcome, whether I've accidentally buggered the console or if it can be fixed.

18. vectrex_rox

vectrex_rox Enthusiastic Member

when it comes to solderings ... just attached ... or cold solder points ... sometimes will do not the job !

19. citrus3000psi

make sure to use small wire, and use flux. Also did you turn the unit on after unplugging it? Some of the caps still hold power and its easy to short something and kill the console. I did this with an nes sometime ago.