I soft modded my oringal Xbox now I get a yellow ring but...

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by hugh, Jan 8, 2019.

1. hugh

hugh Robust Member

I soft modded my original Xbox now the green light turns yellow (orange?) when the new soft mod kicks in and stays that way until I restart the machine and then it starts all over again.

Did I break my machine? Everything seems to work, I can play games and stuff.. But then again I haven't done much with it since I soft modded the unit. I'm still learning on what I can do with the machine now.

Thanks! :)

=hugh

2. notataco64

notataco64 Spirited Member

If you can play games, you're safe. What dash are you running? XBMC for example allows you to switch between green, red, orange, or a cycle of the three.

3. hugh

hugh Robust Member

I believe it's XBMC. How do you change the colors? I haven't managed to figure that out..

Side question: I downloaded an emulator, how do I put it on the xbox? I am assuming I FTP into the unit, but what I don't understand is how to get it to show up under the emulator on the main dashboard. I don't see a folder for emulators there, yet there is one for it on the dashboard. Very confusing to me.. :/

=hugh

4. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

Most dashboard use configuration files that contain the folders they should search for emulators / games / media.
    Some dashboards like unleash even don't scan the folders at every boot but only if you request them to do so (as it takes some time)
    So basically, try to get ftp going first and have a look at your dashboard folder. configuration files are usually xml files.
    E:\games and F:\games is where you should place your game backups. E:\emulators or F:\emulators might be a good candidate for those. If the folder doesn't exist, you can create it, either in the dashboard or over the ftp link. I use winscp under windows for my ftp transfers. It's free and easy to use.

5. Blob

Blob Rapidly Rising Member

You can add folders and set them up within XBMC if that's the dashboard your running on your unit but softmod by default with XBMC w/ cycle set on orange? Naw Sounds like UnleashedX is running, finish the mod? Install it to where it boots into the homebrew dash and shows everything within the App & Game directories? If your running XBMC you can setup sub menus and just add that emulator and all other apps thru the programs folder. FlashFTP FTW ;-) Or yes I miss Avalaunch w/ its app to install games to it from the PC! Snazzy! Good ole days!!!! Happy Hacking! ;-)

6. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Well I'm actually doing the FTPing from my Mac OS or Windows 10 depending on what I want to do.

Now that you mention it, it was UnleashedX. I went back and rewatched the video that I followed to install the Soft Mod from.

What I don't understand is how to convert games that I downloaded to a disc? I downloaded a game just see how this process is done and I can't figure it out.. LOL

=hugh

7. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

Normal operation for a softmodded system.

When booting a softmodded Xbox, the console starts out running stock - green eject ring. Once the softmod activates, it turns the eject ring amber (orange) to show that it is running.

You have to place the emulator in a subfolder of one of the directories configured for the dashboard. (UnleashX, not UnleashedX - config.xml contains the code to set the menu items.)

For example, an excerpt from UnleashX's config.xml:

<Menu>
    <List Text="Emulators" Sort="On" Auto="On">
    <Path>E:\Emulators</Path>
    <Path>F:\Emulators</Path>
    </List>
    </Menu>

UnleashX scans all subfolders 1 level below the <Path> entries (e.g., E:\Emulators\Snes9xbox_v6b08\). For an entry to be added to the Emulators submenu, there must be a file named default.xbe (XBE files are XBox Executables like EXE files on a PC) in the subfolder. default.xbe is the name of the file the Xbox runs from the DVD disc to play a game. Replacement dashboards use the same naming convention to run games, applications, emulators from the HDD too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

If memory serves, qwix will take an xbox iso, extract it and upload to the xbox. It doesn't have to use avalaunch dash. Any dash with ftp support will work.

Traace likes this.
  9. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Thanks for you help, I did manage to find where to change the color around the eject button. I changed it back to green for now, I figured I will do that until I feel comfortable with the mod. Then I might change the color to red.. ;)

Yeah I will looking at the the config.xml file to see what it says. Right now on the Dashboard I have 'Emulators' and 'Homebrew' but no actual folder for those. :/

Okay so qwix send the files to the Xbox; How do I do the reverse, how do I make a .iso and burn to do? That part I do not understand. :/

Thanks!

=hugh

10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Qwix does that too. Google qwix xiso

11. Blob

First things first.... Grab the eeprom for the Xbox and put it somewhere safe on the PC as well all of C:/ and E: / It sounds like an incomplete mod, but what do I know theres so many ways to get the job done.... A youtube video is heh iffy at most for me I like to have the orignal files in front of me with the readme. There's many apps to get the job done for ya out there! I'd just take it slow and enjoy it and consider upgrading the hard drive ;-)

There's apps you can download and toss onto the xbox and let it install these disc games to the hard drive. DVD2Xbox was one of these gnarly homebrew apps that slid nicely with XBMC. It'd also manage the library of games for you if you wanted. However be sure you got enough space cause the typical factory drive these xboxes came with only can hold so much... 8-10GB HDDs.... Plop in a 250-500GB for better results buddy ;-) As for doing that kind of stuff on the PC, you'd need a modded PC DVD Drive to read it so keep things simple fire up Qwix and FTP it from the DVD Drive off the Xbox itself or hell install it to the HDD using DVD2XBox or enjoy it however you wanna.... I really miss modding them sobs! I love the hard mods better tho... More stability just a couple points to bridge and TSOP is literally a modchip for us all :D I got a wicked itch to go out to Goodwill and see if I can snag one of them 1.0s up! :D I remember using SID's and preparing a hard drive for a softmod project to recover a xbox worked great!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  12. Blob

13. hugh

hugh Robust Member

Blob,

Thanks for your advice. I figured out how to do the emulator and homebrew folders on the dash. I had to create the folders on the Made directory of the f: and all is good.

As for the eject button color change, I can do that now that I have upgraded.

My library isn't that big and I'm not having much luck finding games on the net, so I installed a 140GB drive for now. If I think I need a larger drive I will get it. I'm using this drive because I had it laying around collecting dust and it was handy. What finding that is taking up the hard drive is the Genesis emulator.. (What I really want to do is MAME but I can't figure that out yet).

I found a few homebrew games I liked MalestromX (those of us old Mac fans know this one), and TNMT Arcade game, though I think this is the SNES version reworked somehow..

I installing an actual MOD chip? Well.. I can't do that, my soldering skills are terrible. This is my only XBOX and I don't feel like going out and buying another one. The Drive swap was easy to do, yes I know I am taking a risk doing it, but it worked.

Bad_Ad84,

Well I have been trying to figure out Qwix with no luck to make the ISO... Until a little later yesterday. I figured out how to use it, and it worked, I now have an .ISO file. What burning programs can I use to burn the .ISO with? Can I use NERO (which is what I have for Windows) or Toast (which is what I have for Mac).

Just as a side note I do have older burner programs for XP.

=hugh

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  14. Blob

Awesome! Ah I didn't play around with Mamex myself much at all and nope no chip needed and yep my soldering skills suck so bad I cannot do chips usually... But this is for only xboxs that can be TSOP flashed....Woo! Just drop a blob of soldering iron to bridge a couple points from the soldering tip and get er done! v. 1.0-1.5 xboxes can be tsop flashed but the bios file to flash varies by model. First 2 versions got a 1MB TSOP while the rest have 256kb and there's no TSOP on the 1.6 versions. Anyways just thought they were fun times! Maybe you will too! :D Only if ya wanna go that route ;-) Also imgburn should work just fine burning these games ;-) Nero should work I think so too tho... 140GB is awesome for a start as well!!! :D

15. hugh

hugh Robust Member

I know you are going to tell me to look this up,, LOL But I've been reading a lot about the TSOP. What is the TSOP and what does it do?

=hugh

16. oldengineer

oldengineer Familiar Face

...It's an onboard chip already fitted to most Xbox's, that can be flashed 'easily', rather than buying and installing a dedicated chip.

17. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

Only model 1.0 - 1.5 xboxes have a TSOP. The more recent 1.6 and 1.6b models don't have it. You can easily identify a 1.6 and 1.6b as the motherboard is not having the solder pads that can be used for a ram upgrade. It's also using a different video encoder chip. The TSOP is the chip that contains the original xbox bios code. On debug unit's, this chip can be erased and reprogrammed. On retail unit's, you can bridge a couple of points on the motherbard. (and connect 5V if you have a sharp TSOP) to enable erasing and reprogramming as well. If you reprogram the TSOP with another bios, it behaves identical to a chip modded xbox. Some modchips have options to select which bios to boot, but this is hardly needed as there exist the "phoenix bios loader" program that can boot another bios from the harddrive. When xbox live still existed, having the option to run the original bios was usefull as M$ banned modded consoles. TSOP is basically the "type of housing" of the bios chip. The bios chip is the only one in such a housing, so people simply started to call it TSOP. A google search for TSOP might just show you some integrated circuit housings.