I did my first PlayStation chip install and...

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Damn-Deal-Done, Nov 9, 2018.

1. davesandell

davesandell Rising Member

When I have done these I solder to the other side of the board?

But I am using the original install diagrams.... as I haven't yet been bothered about probing the board and documenting a "short wire" install....

I did have to find some alternate points on the last one I did as some hack in the late '90s [Nov '98 it seems] burned the pads\traces as they soldered in a 4 wire mod and just held everything in place with white bathroom silicone.... that was fun removing that mess and solding in a proper 8 wire mod - as well soldering direct to pins instead of nice easy pads on the board!

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Some consoles are top side, other board revisions are bottom.

These install points are the same used in all the guides - you must not have done this board type before.

3. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Nice and shiny joints! :cool:
    What flux did you use?

4. Damn-Deal-Done

Damn-Deal-Done Spirited Member

I don't use expensive stuff. Using MG Chemicals 22 awg 60/40 solder and a circuit works rosin flux dispensing pen. The flux pen is the first flux I ever bought and it was all that was available in Maplins at the time. Once it has run out I would like to try something else. It leaves a sticky residue when trying to clean it up after. I am happy with the brand of solder, although I would like to try a finer gauge but the price goes up almost three times.

I flux everything before tinning then flux again before soldering. I also went over legs of the IC with a fibreglass pen to get them super shiny first, then cleaned with 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. Probably overkill.

Hakko FX888D was set to 320.

5. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Could always go for a no-clean flux pen.

6. Damn-Deal-Done

I actually thought that's what I had but looking at it now it doesn't say No Clean anywhere on it. It does say 'For Industrial Use Only', which doesn't sound too good. Might explain the headaches and difficulty breathing. :)

Next purchase is some better flux, an ESD mat, tweezer set, chip lifter, and a hot air station.

Wanted to add an oscilloscope to that list but once I saw the prices I realised that's probably never going to be possible.

7. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

All no-clean flux that I know still leaves sticky residue. The claim is it won't cause corrosion later on but personally I still feel no-clean flux should be cleaned up anyway to get rid of the sticky crap. But if you're cleaning anyway, why limit yourself to no-clean stuff. Might as well get really active RA.
    That said, I personally I use amtech no-clean (559) in a syringe because dosing it is real easy and it's excellent flux. But for a flux pen I prefer RA's - I only use them to clean up bridges on tiny package components.

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

A small fan or mask is a good investment if you're to do that a lot.

9. Damn-Deal-Done

Have all the parts to build myself a little 4 fan fume extractor. Just not got round to it yet, but I should make it a priority.

Always clean up your sticky mess. Noted.

Amtech 559 seems pricey.

10. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Or even just do your work near a window or something? You definitely shouldn't be getting a headache.

11. davesandell

davesandell Rising Member

I use the same one from Maplin....
    Flux can be quite evil... and super sticky.... IPA takes care of it well enough though.

All we were taught to do at college was blow on it so that you didn't breathe too much of the flux....

It hasn't killed me.... yet...

12. Damn-Deal-Done

That's the one from Maplins.
    I'm not really getting headaches now. It was just lack of experience the first few times. Breathing in too much, letting it fill the room because i was being too slow. This playstation was a pretty quick and efficient job.