(Hypothetical) PS2 games on Dreamcast Technical Reach

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by xaeroxcore, Oct 27, 2015.

1. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

Cheers to everyone!

For years i´ve been wondering if, on a hypothetical scenario, Dreamcast wouldn´t have been out of the market on 2001, it would have enough power to handle multiplataform games with worthy PS2 (or at least PSP )visual quality ?
    My point is....After years of comparison and gameplay, i´ve concluded that DC have enough power to handle ports with little to noticable downgrade (but with the same graphic engine) of PS2 games.

I think the PS2 titles of this list are on the DC technical reach:

Fifa 2001 (taking Hypothetically out the EA ban to DC)
    ISS 2000 and may be the early PES games
    Medal of Honor Frontline (taking Hypothetical out the EA ban to DC)
    Prince of Persia Sands of Time
    Soul Calibur 2
    Bloody Roar 3
    Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1 -2 and Sagas
    Burnout
    Time Crysis 2
    Shinobi
    The PS2 version of Virtua Fighter 4
    Mazan: Flash of the Blade
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2
    Deus EX
    No Ones Lives Forever
    Red Faction
    Resident Evil Gun Survivor 2: Code Veronica
    GTA 3
    The first Max Payne
    The King of the Road 66
    Mortal Kombat V
    Headhunter Redemption
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3-4
    Saint Seiya Chapter Sanctuary
    Return to Castle: Wolfenstein

Maybe i´m wrong, or you can consider this thread a waste of time...But here on Assembler there are people with technical knowledge to clarify this 15 year old doubt out...

I´m 99% sure that games like Blood Omen 2, Gun Survivor 2: Code Veronica and Mazan:Flash of the Blade are totally possible on DC with the same PS2 visual aspect, because Blood Omen sports awful visuals and games like Headhunter and Shemue 2 are above it in several graphical aspects...
    Gun Survivor 2 is built with the same Code Veronica engine, with no noticeable upgrades...And also it was released first on Naomi, just like Mazan...So both games are built for almost DC technology
    In other hand, the rest of games that i´ve named have elements that could be way beyond DC capabilities, with others aspects that can be displayed by the DC hardware... but i´m not 100% sure

SILENT_Pavel and Ss4gogeta0 like this.
  2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

I'm sure it is possible but you would need multiple discs for it or the unreleased DVD drive to hold enough data to do this. Maybe get the games running at the DC's max resolution of ~800x600? SVGA mode would have been nice in some games.

Ss4gogeta0 likes this.
  3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Some PS2 games are on CDs.

xaeroxcore likes this.
  4. xaeroxcore

That´s right...Most of the games that i´ve mentioned were released on CD ROM...or at least do not weight more than 1 GB...But i think multidisc storage would be the proper choice...Shenmue 1 and 2 used it, and it did not affect too much the awesome gameplay experience...

5. Ss4gogeta0

Ss4gogeta0 Rapidly Rising Member

I actually brought up a similar discussion on GTA Forums stating that GTA 3 could have been possible on the Dreamcast... Some people were even working on downgrading GTA 3 to N64-like quality and texture size (32x32 & 64x64 with the highest being 128x128 I believe) and lower poly models which lowers the weight of the gta3.img file alot (I believe it was originally 900MB+) with audio downsampling and extra cuts it might fit on a single CD
    Topic about dreamcast GTA 3
    Topic about GTA 3 N64 Version mod
    images from GTA 3 version
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    honestly, I could actually see GTA III PC Version "Possibly" being ported over to the DC by someone who is familiar with how the Dreamcast works and knows how to use a Hex tool properly and how to work with Windows CE.

Information on Win CE for DC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    sheath and xaeroxcore like this.
  6. xaeroxcore

I watched few pages of both threads...Too bad they didn´t want to port GTA 3D to DC
    But i read that you´re a designer and you´re working on a 3d GTA clone ofr DC? or i misunderstood something?

7. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

It fits on one cd with only the music downsampled and nothing else.

8. Ss4gogeta0

I was, but things kinda fell through with me and my rag tag team of college friends.

and yea, I kinda "retired" from being an indie game designer not too long ago. been doin it since late 05 and only put out 1 full game and a bunch of beta prototypes.

9. xaeroxcore

Too bad to read that...And which game did ya put out?

10. Ss4gogeta0

just a small online zombie survival game
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/rotting-aftermath

I havnt actually hosted a server for it in god knows how long so its just single player atm

11. xaeroxcore

Seems like a fun 8 bit aesthetic title! And have you ever tried to contact other DC indie developers? May be that GTA 3D clone for DC could born from a meeting!

Ss4gogeta0 likes this.
  12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

It takes more than a hex editor to port something from pc to dream cast. They don't even use the same processor type.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  13. SILENT_Pavel

SILENT_Pavel Gutsy Member

Ss4gogeta0 likes this.
  14. xaeroxcore

There is any Dreamcast game source code available? Just wonder the possibilities of creating mods or new games with the engines of Test Drive Le Mans, Shenmue or DOA 2...It would be awesome!

Ss4gogeta0 likes this.
  15. Ss4gogeta0

yea, yea. a man could dream though.

anyway I read that the Doom 3 source code was publicly available. would be interesting to see what kind of eldritch abomination someone could make for the dreamcast using it. or hell, would be nice to see someone port some of the open <insert name here> projects.
    or even that Resident evil battle game on the custom squeeze bomb engine that was being worked on by team ZGAS.

hell, I would like to see some of my games ported :p but they are shoddily coded and not worth the effort

16. xaeroxcore

I think that ID Tech 4 ( OG Doom 3) is too much for the Dreamcast (or even the PS2) to handle. In other hand, the ID tech 3 (the engine of Quake 3 Arena and Return to Castle Wolfenstein) is compatible with DC specs, and its avalaible for Pc since sort of 10 years. This would be the easiest (keeping in mind that this task would be collosal for an indie developer anyway) PC to DC engine port, cuz was done before.
    I don't know if anybody experienced can do the magic, or May be There are an insider of ID here..I mean..if the ID tech 3 is available in PC...why the DC versión cant be? What's the point to keeping out of reach a tool for a system that has been discontinued for 14 years? ​

17. xaeroxcore

18. xaeroxcore

Check THIS OUT! http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=102327&start=80

19. Trident6

Trident6 Spirited Member

id tech 3 made extensive use of shaders, and the PVR on the Dreamcast has a fixed function pipeline. You could make it work, but it would not be trivial.

20. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017