Humming/buzzing noise from CRT TV speakers using RGB cables

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by helakustorm, Feb 11, 2018.

1. helakustorm

helakustorm Robust Member

Hello,

Every time I play a game on my PlayStation 1/2 PAL and GameCube PAL using RGB cables on my Sony Trinitron there is a humming/buzzing noise coming from my TV speakers when I go up the volume.
    On my GameCube I use the original RGB cable and on my PlayStation 1/2 I use a bought cable from RGC store (not the PACKAPUNCH PRO one).
    Does anyone have this problem?
    How can I fix this problem because sometimes it disturbs especially when some levels have minimal background music.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Kaeser

Kaeser Rising Member

Normally I'd say it's the cable, but you seem to have decent ones. Does is buzz more on plain white screens? Have you tested it on another CRT?

helakustorm likes this.
  3. helakustorm

What I can confirm is that when the volume is at 30-35% this buzzing is not very perceptive (it exist but does not disturb the ear).
    But when the volume goes up after 35% the buzzing starts to appear and intensify when the volume is max (tested on all three consoles).
    I have an RGB cable for PlayStation 2 with all the grounds wired up created by me ( and I have compared with the RGC one and I can confirm that at the 25-30% volume the buzzing is more perceptive with my cable than with the RCG one (from what I've understand it is better shielded).
    Unfortunately I don't have an RGB double shielded cable to see if this solve the problem (I don't think will solve it); about the official GameCube RGB cables in general I don't think that they are double shielded (maybe I'm wrong).
    What is interesting, if I mute my TV the buzzing stop even if the volume was maxed out.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

FWIW, I've had the exact same thing happening with my Super Nintendo, with ALL cables I used. I then recently upgraded to a RGC Packapunch Pro cable and from that point on I have zero issues, the audio buzz is completely gone. I believe this is due to the fact that their wires inside the cable are individually shielded. Maybe this cable will help you with your problem as well.

helakustorm likes this.
  5. helakustorm

If someone will say that the official GameCube RGB cable is double shielded then buying RGC Packapunch Pro cable will not solve my issue...

6. Sp33dFr34k

I'd check it on another TV first then to rule that out.

helakustorm likes this.
  7. helakustorm

That is true Sp33dFr34k but sadly I don't have two CRT to test it and I don't know someone to still have a CRT...
    I'm the only retro purist in my group of friends...
    I will wait, maybe someone will give another idea or something; in the event that no one can help me that's life :)

8. Sp33dFr34k

Doesn't need to be a CRT, in my case I heard it with both CRT and LCD TV. The result should be the same, audio = audio. It could just be that a CRT is a little bit more sensitive to it.

helakustorm likes this.
  9. helakustorm

You are correct Sp33dFr34k
    The same, from my point of view CRT TV's are a little sensitive that's why I needed another one to test this theory.
    I've heard some rumors that due to bad/poor capacitors inside the TV can be another problem that create this humming/buzzing sound.
    Anyway, thank you!