How To Use 'Yahoo Auctions Japan'

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ESM, Jul 31, 2016.

1. ESM

ESM Famicom Disk System

To get stuff from YAJ you need to sign up using a proxy service as you cannot sign up without a Japanese address. Some examples of proxy services is 'Rinkya' and 'Shopping Mall Japan'. What a proxy service does is it bids on an item for you when you sign up through their service. You can put a deposite down or a credit card authorization. If you don't have a credit card you must send in money. They DO NOT charge your credit card, however, if you buy an item and don't pay they will charge you. All these proxy services have commisions which is because they are providing you with the service. For stuff under 1000 yen you should use Rinkya. It can be extremely adictive doing this, so make sure you have a set budget. Most of the items are cheaper than on Ebay. If you use a translated service, you will not get all the items. Go directly to the site, copy the url of the item and put it into your proxy service automated system or a bar to insert all the infomation. It's very difficult to snipe bids on YAJ, bids do not happen instantly through the proxy service. I recommend you to bid 24 hours or before. Some proxy services have a manual bid service where you could snipe. If you have a manual bid, talk to them a few days before the end of the auction.
    If the word 'JUNK' is ever in the title it means the item is either damaged or untested. If it is an opened item the price will be cheaper on YAJ. Rinkya ships the item directly to you, so if you live outside of the US, I suggest using this. Shopping Mall Japan orders everything and then ships it directly to the US.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Or you can pay a user who lives in Japan (like me) to get something for you. :p

kennypecheur likes this.
  3. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

100% untrue. The word Junk is used on Yahoo Auctions to point out the working order is unconfirmed. Many junk items are mint and work perfectly. Take it from me, I've been using real Japan Yahoo Auctions for over 10 years.

A Toubib, DeChief and Syclopse like this.
  4. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

I concur, I bought a lot of "junk" on YAJ and 99% of the time the item is in prefect condition. I've been using Noppin for over 6 years now and no complaints.

5. ESM

ESM Famicom Disk System

I guess I'll edit my post.

6. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I think it would be a good idea.

7. Ashevent

Ashevent Site Supporter 2015

Ive recently taken a look at this but $91 in shipping for a small HoriPad to the U.S.? I'm wondering if I'm looking at the auction correctly. Ive ordered items from Japan before and yes, shipping is expensive but nothing like what I think i'm seeing.

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 4.18.58 PM.png

8. ESM

ESM Famicom Disk System

It also depends on what service you're using. But if it's not that I'd recommend to find a different one.

Ashevent likes this.
  9. SO Remixer

SO Remixer Lovely Sweet Dream

Honestly your best bet is to find someone in Japan willing to buy and ship on your behalf. That's what I did, I've been working with Yakumo for months now and all's good. In general it's an easier, cheaper process (compared to services like jauce that have high fees and such) but it might make bidding in intense auctions at the last second a bit difficult unless you have a direct line of contact at the very moment you need it (like a Skype voice call or something). There's also the fact that your contact may be busy with life stuff and not always able to respond or act promptly, just how it is. If you're looking to pick up miscellaneous stuff from time to time have a contact/friend is my suggested method, if you're trying to snipe heated auctions it's still a possibility, but more difficult. Unless it's something super rare and desirable that you can't live without and fear sniping, then maybe try the proxy services so you know you're pretty much in real time control.

The main difficulty I run into buying from Japan is product descriptions, because Google translate butchers them beyond comprehension, making them untrustworthy in my eyes. So again, having a Japanese contact or someone who at least can read the language is a major plus.

My contact method of buying directly from Japan and mass shipping has always saved me from overpriced and inflated fees one finds when buying Japanese goods already imported.

If he's up for it (sorry for not asking permission before advertising you like this) I do recommend working with Yakumo, his fees are both small and fair, he's usually available and easy to work with, and he's trustworthy.

10. Ashevent

Ashevent Site Supporter 2015

Thanks all, I think my best bet is to be patient and just take an empty suitcase to Japan when the Mrs. and I go to visit her family outside Tokyo in two years

I realize the obvious question is "why not just have your family do it?" Long story but I just don't think I can ask a surgeon or some of the other high stress job folks to get me some video game items..lol.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  11. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

Yeah, I have a similar situation. My brother-in-law is working over there and I asked him to check for some things, but he'll probably never buy anything. At least he's checking his area for gaming stores, so he'll be able to tell me where to go when I'll go visit him.

Ashevent likes this.