How to upgrade DVT-4 with 1TB Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by Commander Shepard, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard LulzSec Hillbilly

Seeing tons of tutorials for chipped retails, but none for actual DevKits.

How should you go about taking out the factory 5GB Drive, and replacing it with a 1TB?
    Any extra, or (hopefully) less steps for Devs?

Wanting to upgrade to this:
    (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...psc=1&linkId=30bc9e40d6b0b3df1cb03a98f083a83e)

Should I upgrade the ribbon cable as well?
    (https://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-UDMA-ULTRA-ATA-133-HARD-DISK-DRIVE-RIBBON-CABLE-DVD-c37/252047487694)

Is an IDE to SATA converter necessary? (https://www.ebay.com/itm/141951989539)
    Once all is swapped, will running a remote XDK properly format the new HDD?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

Why would you want to modify a DVT-4?
    The dev xboxs without being modified will only see up to 160gb with the stock bios.
    You would have to install a modchip into the system which will completely defeat the purpose imo. and if you want to still use the Debug Dashboard I still dont think it will be able to access more than the previously mentioned 160gb.

Commander Shepard likes this.
  3. ToxicMedz

Unless that information is somehow outdated at this point, that was my understanding on the systems.

4. Commander Shepard

Thanks for the reply Toxic! :D

Yeah, came to that same conclusion after 3 hours of studying. Lol :rolleyes:

Trust me, I won't be modifying much at all. The DVT-4 is too rare for that bs. ;)

I just ordered a 160GB Western Digital 7200rpm IDE replacement, and upgraded the ribbon cable to 80 for better performance. :cool:

Will the remote recovery format the new drive, or is it strictly the .iso that does this?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. ToxicMedz

Never tried the remote recovery so I couldn't tell you on that one. The recovery ISO is how I did it in the past.

6. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

use IDE to CF card is better , it low heat and save power supply life

7. Commander Shepard

:eek: Holy shit I never thought of that .
    That's genius!! Has this been proven to be reliable, and work well??

Can you provide an eBay link for the best recommended adapter, and SD Card??

8. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

normal use CF card is better than SD
    becasue CF card is true IDE standed , this is good way CF pin out change to IDE with out chip issue
    if you like, you can put the CF board out of DVDEMU port , so good for build alot ver dashboard by swap CF card XD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. Commander Shepard

<3

10. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

Compact flash works reliable, but a 128GB compact flash card isn't cheap.
    You need a fast compact flash card that supports at least UDMA2.
    The compact flash 2 ide adapter needs to support UDMA transfer as well (most do nowadays)
    Not all compact flash cards support the ATA security commands (drive locking)
    For a debug unit this isn't an issue, but it is for a softmodded retail.
    As the xbox biosses use UDMA2 transfer, the maximum transfer speed is approx 33MB/sec.
    An SSD drive with converter will likely be cheaper than a compact flash solution.
    A good reliable sata to ide converter (startech) isn't cheap either. (20 - 25 bucks)
    A 2.5 inch laptop drive will give you the same performance for a lower price. It will also consume less power and produce less heat.
    With a 2.5 inch drive, you don't have problems to fit the drive and sata converter in the cage.
    Make sure to get an 80 conductor cable that is longer than the standard length.
    The standard ones aren't long enough for xbox use as the mobo connector is close the dvd drive one and the harddrive connector is further away. In a pc, harddrive and dvd drive are close together and the mobo connector is on a distance.
    You can reverse the 80 conductor cable (plug the master connector in the mobo and the mobo connector in the sata 2 ide adapter. If you do this, you should set the sata converter (or ide drive) to master and not to cable select.
    If you install a bigger harddrive, you can use the extra space when you load a retail bios with the phoenix bios loader. When you are using a debug bios, it won't see the extra space.

11. Commander Shepard

Gotcha! Thanks for all this super detailed info man! :D

12. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member