How to unlock a Debug Kit HDD? (Yes, you read it right)

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by pato, Feb 19, 2019.

1. pato

pato Resolute Member

So fellas, a long time ago i've bought a Debug Kit from here and a few months ago i've tried to recover any deleted files from the HDD, what happens is that according to Xbox HDM USB the hard drive was locked, althrough it wasn't supposed to be for Debug and Devkits.

I've read here in a old thread that in a case like this, the possible key would be all 32 zeroes (a null key), it turns out that it didn't work, a friend of mine tried that on an old PC he has that have the IDE ports (can't enter dos on my modern one with the IDE to USB).

I couldn't unlock by using the Xbox hot swap method because it freezes on the bios when I disconnect the IDE cable from the DVD drive, not even using the Hexen dvd could get the damn EEPROM as it would also freeze too.

So this ended up with me having three possibilities:

1) Try again on the friend's old pc with the unlikely to work hotswap method.

2) TSOP to get the motherboard EEPROM to get the key (and god knows why it would have a non null key).

3) If the Startup freezing issue without the dvd drive may be because of a bios, then I would have to do an XDK recovery that would wipe out again the HDD, unless if I could use a retail xbox HDD for it (which I do have).

2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

I know that debug units don't require locked hard drives. But do they still have hard drive keys on the EEPROM like original units? Could use an EEPROM reader to read that and get the key and try unlocking it with that.

Also try "TEAMASSEMBLY" or "XBOXSCENE". If someone locked them with certain programs, it might be those.

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Couldn't you just boot a tool on the kit and unlock the drive

takeshi385 likes this.
  4. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

The harddisk doesn't need to be locked, but debug kits came originally with a locked drive.
    The least damage to the drive will be made if the eeprom is read with an external reader. The hdd key should be in there.
    Another option is installing a different unlocked drive and using an xdk to run tools on it that can backup the eeprom.
    As the debug box would have another drive, nothing on the original one can be overwritten.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Pretty sure not all came locked.

Ive had plenty come across my desk unlocked and never been modified/adjusted. It seems locked ones are the minority.

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

None of the ones I checked in recent years have been unlocked, and some of the tools to unlock on the PC don't like the debug eeprom. I had some method to do it properly years ago, but I can't recall what it was.

7. Mord.Fustang

Could probably get the key from a dumped EEPROM via hex editor.

8. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

The HDDKey stored in the EEPROM is not the unlocking password.

The password is generated using it and other info from the locked HDD.

9. Mord.Fustang

Alright. Today I learned something...