How to Remove Scratches from Transparent Plastic

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by FireAza, Oct 18, 2013.

1. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I'm sure you guys all know the pain of a getting a nice bit of retro swag, only to find it's covered in scratches. Jewel cases are particularly bad when it comes to scratch-ability, but don't worry, there's a solution!

While you can try and buff the scratches out with toothpaste, you normally end up trading big scratches for a series of small ones. What I've found works really nicely is this stuff:
    [​IMG]
    Meguiar's PlastX, it's intended for removing scratches and clouding on car headlights, but it also works really well for removing scratches on other transparent plastics, in particular CD jewel cases.

Here's a good example, I've got a Playstation case that was all scratched up and treated just the center for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Much better isn't it? Those "specks" you can see is actually dust that's on the other side of the plastic, so ignore those.

I also treated the jewel of an Xbox, it certainly helped to remove the light scratches, but I coulden't really remove the deeper ones. This is probably because the plastic is harder than the plastic used in jewel cases, maybe multiple treatments would slowly improve it.

Anyway, I hope you guys found this to be helpful!

Shane McRetro likes this.
  2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Any of the ipod screen repair compounds. Cheap now too as the new screens are glass, so the old plastic screen compounds are cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  3. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Interesting, my guess would be it that stuff would probably work in a similar way. Is it a thick cream? I looked on ebay, but I didn't find many repair compounds (a lot of screens though), the only one I found cost more than this stuff I got.

4. AlexRMC92

AlexRMC92 Site Supporter 2013

the 3m headlight repair kit will do the best job if there are large scratches. it essentially resurfaces plastic.

5. omp

omp Familiar Face

That plastx stuff was good, used it on our V35 skyline. What was cool though ours was a black sedan, just like on the bottle! Allthiugh that is probably a G35...

6. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Do you have a link to that one? I only found a big sponge thing that would be too unwieldy to use on small items.

Have any of you guys tried removing scratches from non-transparent plastic (i.e GameCube badges)? I'm not sure what would happen if I tried using this stuff on non-transparent plastic, since it's designed for use on transparent plastic.

7. Mugi

Mugi Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

i can second this, the few things i've anti-scrached, i used a screen compound meant for cellphones (OOOOOOLLLD ones) which seems to work very well.
    I even salvaged a scratched to death beta of magna carta with the stuff, (was unreadable when i bought it ;___;)

the stuff i have is called Displex, but i'd assume there's a lot of brands around.

8. Zer0-2k11

Zer0-2k11 Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  9. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Thanks for the info. I've seen those Meguiar Plastx last time i went to a big hardware store.

Will get one next time.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

So the PlastX could repair the scratches in a 3DS' top screen?

11. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

That stuff seems pretty good (it has a bottle for heavy scratches!) but holy shit! Shipping to Australia is $40!

Possibly, depending on how deep the scratches are. You can see in my OP the sort of scratches it can fix, though jewel cases are made of a soft plastic so a 3DS screen would probably require a lot of elbow grease and repeated applications.

12. Zer0-2k11

Zer0-2k11 Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

13. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  14. Sonny_Jim

Sonny_Jim Enthusiastic Member

Ah Novus 2 and Microfibre cloth/Magic Eraser, the classic combination for 15 year old dirt on a pinball playfield.

15. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

I have a game gear with a pretty scratched screen, I was going to use my Dremel with a polishing wheel but I may give this a try instead, thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  16. Hypresonance

Hypresonance Active Member

Reviving old thread, yah!
    As Master of Puppets asked, could Plastx remove those bezel to top screen markings on an original 3DS screen?
    Or rather, has anyone tried to remove those markings with Plastx?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  17. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

18. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

You can also buy the third party replacement polish for the JFJ disc repair machine have two grits