How to Enable the Debug Menu in Shadow of the Colossus Remastered

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by JB94, Jun 3, 2018.

1. JB94

JB94 Rising Member

Few Days after the game was dumped i started to take a look at the game data and i've noticed that in CommandLineArgs.txt there were two lines both set to 0: r_fps=0 and renderErrorMsgs=0. So i set both of them to 1 repacked the pkg aaand nothing. So i kept looking and noticed that in gameversion.txt theres a flag "+RetailBuild=1". So i changed that, repacked the pkg and there it was, some debug text appeared on screen :)
    So i started looking in the eboot hoping to find some other stuff and i did. If we open the Eboot in HxD and search for r_fps we can find some others commands like show_memory, show_globalTime etc etc..

Now if navigate to /coredata/enginesupport we find a file "DefaultCmdLineArgs.txt" and if we open it we find a brief descripition on what the format of the commands is:

// Commands follow the format:
    // +[ConVar]=[Args]
    // +[ConCmd]([Arg0],[Arg1])
    // -[SomeOption]
    //

so i've started adding other commands e.g. +show_buildversion=1, +arealoader_displayZoneInfo=1 etc etc..

before i know my screen started to fill with debug info. Only problem was the reiteration time. It takes wayy too long to: try new args, repack a pkg, install it, see what changes and repeat. So thats where @PixelButts comes in. Thanks to him (and his testkit) i was able to reiterate faster :D. He was kind enough to record this video showcasing the Debug Menu in Action!

TLDR;

>Unpack the Game
    >Open gameversion.txt
    >set "+RetailBuild=1" to "+RetailBuild=0"
    >Open CommandLineArgs.txt
    >set both Commands to 1, maybe add more commands if you want
    >Repack the game
    >?????
    >Profit

==========================
    General Commands (Thanks PixelButts!)
    ==========================
    L3 to enter fly cam. Use L2 and right thumbstick to change elevation.
    Use L2+R2+Circle to spawn aggro above the player

How do i Open the debug Menu?
    >L3 + Left side of the touchpad on your joystick.

>What other commands there are?
    Quite a lot, if you are interested you can open the eboot in HxD and start looking. (e.g unlockAllTrophies, mem_showAllocationStats etc..). You can activate those commands via the debug menu but if you wish to have them activated on boot add them to the CommandLineArgs.txt. You know the format.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    wisi, cez and HI_Ricky like this.
  2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Opening the debug menu is really finicky. L3 and pressing the top left of the touch pad seems to be the most reliable. It also enables debug pause so do expect having to redo this input a lot

wisi, HI_Ricky and JB94 like this.
  3. Ligero_miguel

Ligero_miguel Rising Member

You guys found amazing stuff there, this is awesome. I wish I could find something like this for KH2.8 someday.

4. stranno

stranno Enthusiastic Member

I havent tested this in depth but could it allow the base console to reach 60FPS?

You can disable a hell lot of things (SSAO, tessellation, some physics) but IDK if you can uncap the framerate..

5. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I have tried that and you run low on memory with impacted performance. I am concerned that it might kill your system under extended runtime doing that

6. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

That is a cool find!
    By curiosity, is the dam still there?

7. NomadColossus

NomadColossus Member

Amazing! When I was at Bluepoint studios on 'launch day' they showed me the debug menu (via a dev kit) and we explored the lands going places where Wander cannot go. I just asked them to 'go there (XX)' and Marcus obliged me ; ) So this just blows my mind that someone has already found this debug menu so early after the game's release. I'm hoping I will be able to emulate your work, however I'm not as adept at this sort of thing as you guys... hopefully I can muddle my way through. Again, amazing work!

JB94 and Ligero_miguel like this.
  8. NomadColossus

NomadColossus Member

Hey unclejun, when I was at Bluepoint studios they told me that they had removed all the beta mountains and Dam from this version. Although I'd like it to be confirmed in any case ; )

9. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Could you show me on a map where this location should be? It would help greatly in finding it
    Generally speaking however, if you cant get to some place, it's likely not modeled or has no collision.

10. JB94

JB94 Rising Member

if you ever need help settings this up feel free to drop me a PM :)

11. JB94

JB94 Rising Member

Did you ask them about the removed colossi? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

12. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

game Screenshot 2018-06-06 21-13-33.png game Screenshot 2018-06-06 21-13-55.png game Screenshot 2018-06-06 21-13-59.png game Screenshot 2018-06-06 21-14-07.png game Screenshot 2018-06-06 21-14-15.png game Screenshot 2018-06-06 21-14-21.png game Screenshot 2018-06-06 21-14-45.png

Ligero_miguel likes this.